Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 13:07   #91
BHPian

Re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Being an ex-elantra owner, hoping for braking and handling to be as good as the previous gen elantra, if not better. Then they have customer ready to pick up one Hoping it will churn more than 150 horses and diesel!!

Last edited by raj.barcode : 19th November 2011 at 13:15.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:26   #92
BHPian

This one sure looks very similar to the current gen Elantra in the US. I had a chance to drive the Elantra in US a few months back. The car was picked up from a car rentals. Here are some pics:

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-img_0357.jpg

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-img_0358.jpg

Name:  IMG_0359.jpg
Views: 8683
Size:  178.3 KB

The car was fun to drive. I did not drive it much though, but was highly impressed with the interiors, space and the drive-ability. Sorry no interior pics of the car.
Old 21st November 2011, 21:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

I just saw a Hyundai ad featuring a big sedan in a Malayalam TV channel. Please don't torch me for being absent minded at the time of the ad. I was in some deep thoughts and just realized the TV saying Hyundai and showing a big sedan.
Old 21st November 2011, 22:12   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is a realistic price point for this car? I am more interested in the diesel variant. I hope Hyundai does not end up pricing it too high in order to differentiate it from the Verna. This is the problem I feel when you launch a car ( like verna) in so many variants and trim levels spanning 3 segments. I really hope they do not price it in Jetta's territory.
No. I think this will be in the Cruze range. I won't be surprised even if the lower end Elantra pricing overlaps with the top end Verna automatic (Case in point is the i20 petrol and the i10 Asta automatic. I think the i10 costs a bit more than even the sportz variant of the i20). They have the Sonata/i45 still waiting for launch in the Accord/Jetta/Kizashi segment. That should complete there entire 'fluidic' range upto 20 lakh

Eon - 2.5 -4.5
i10 -4.5 -6.5
i20 - 6.5 -9
Verna - 9 -12
Elantra - 12 -16
i45/Sonata - 16 -20
(Not exactly perfect. But a rough range of pricing)

What next ? The Genesis ? Woudnt that be sweet. For all those who say Hyundai can never make good handling cars, please read the reviews for the Genesis. Yes, handling is not Hyundai's strong point. But please don't make sweeping statements. Cheers

Last edited by Kimified : 21st November 2011 at 22:16.
Old 21st November 2011, 22:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for awakening this thread. I got to see it again. It told "Presenting the next prestige, Centennial". Nothing specific on any launch or anything. I have some doubt if it is for Middle East as these mallu channels do have a tendency to show gulf ads :(
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:15   #96
R17
BHPian

The Expo is just a couple of weeks away - Do we have any scoops regarding the certainty of the Elantra being displayed / launched at the Expo, possible variants etc ?
Old 16th January 2012, 11:44   #97
BHPian

When is this boat expected to be launched and at what price

The cruze will still take the cake I am guessing as its updated version will have even powerful engine with better interiors and better rear seat legroom!

What engine is expected with elantra?
Old 17th January 2012, 01:21   #98
BHPian

The Auto expo just went by and Hyundai only announced the new Sonata in India. They did had Elantra for display but did not mention its launch date. Having said that..does anyone have any insider information if this car will be launched?
Old 17th January 2012, 10:17   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
When is this boat expected to be launched and at what price ... What engine is expected with elantra?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
The Auto expo just went by and Hyundai only announced the new Sonata in India. They did had Elantra for display but did not mention its launch date. Having said that..does anyone have any insider information if this car will be launched?
I do not have concrete info, but read on some other thread that the Elantra is expected by mid-2012 (Aug) and that too only in diesels. The same has been tweeted by Siddharth of ACI.

Since it competes with C+ vehicles (Civic, Altis, Cruze etc.) and has to be lower priced than Sonata, expect pricing in similar range (12-15L). Also it is loaded with all bells and whistles which along with diesel heart & looks will make a compelling case for itself.
Old 17th January 2012, 23:00   #100
BHPian

Diesel is good and if its Automatic 6 speed transmission it will be a stealer....
Old 17th January 2012, 23:21   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Diesel is good and if its Automatic 6 speed transmission it will be a stealer....
This indeed is speculated to come with an Auto box - not sure it would be a six speed one.
Old 18th January 2012, 00:25   #102
BHPian

The following article reviews the Australian 2011 Hyundai Elantra

2012 Hyundai Elantra Review | Car Advice

I just wished to quote a few lines from the article:

Quote:
The last car Hyundai launched in Australia was the i45 sedan. At the time, some of the motoring press in Australia said the suspension tune on that car wasn’t up to par for pliant travel on the poorly maintained roads in this country. That sent the handling engineers at Hyundai back to the R&D centre to thoroughly re-examine its suspension tuning process specifically for the Australian market.

The good news is Hyundai has absolutely nailed it with the new Elantra, with all the suspension testing and tuning carried out in Australia. After a couple of hundred kilometres driving all three trim levels and both transmission options, I’m pleased to report the ride and handling has been well and truly sorted on the Elantra, to the point where it’s up there with anything from Europe in the same segment and price point.
The entry-level Elantra Active comes standard with steel wheels and a manual transmission, but don’t let that deter you; this is a very enjoyable bit of kit to drive. More than anything, it comes down to a well-balanced chassis, which produces excellent cornering and road-holding (even with steel wheels, which I don’t particularly like) and a pliant ride. Bumps and small potholes are ironed out without any unwanted vibrations through the cabin. Push on, and it’s the same story, with an all-together neutral handling characteristic, which is as good as many of the more expensive Euro offerings in this segment.

The same goes for the steering feel and response. Right from dead centre there’s plenty of weight and a very direct response through the steering wheel making tight twisty sections more fun than you can imagine. That meaty feel is also evident when travelling at 110km/h on the freeway, where there’s still plenty of weight through the tiller. Again, it’s comparable to the German offerings in this segment, and inspires similar driver confidence. Put that down to the calibration of the Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS).
In the all-new Elantra, Hyundai has produced a very strong proposition for Australian new-car buyers. This is a small car that offers big car features with performance, handling and ride as good as the Euro offerings at a much reduced price point.
After reading the above, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the same kind of Handling from the India spec Elantra.

Anyways, the engine may not be a scorcher like the 1.8 TSi, but still 150 Ps and 178 Nm in a 1.2 ton car (good 150odd kg lighter than the Laura TSi) in the Indian market is not a slouch by any standards. Coupled with interior space comparable to the Accord/Passat and a FE of 6.6L/100km for manual (15.15kmpl) and 7.1L/100km(14.1kmpl) for the automatic is reasonably fuel efficient too for a petrol engine.

A reasonably powerful 1.7l diesel will help making the entire deal much sweeter and we could certainly have cars like the Cruze and Laura sweating.

Last edited by antz.bin : 18th January 2012 at 00:28.
antz.bin is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:41   #103
BHPian

It's almost certain that the Elantra is coming here. The Auto Expo didn't see the Elantra getting launched or getting much attention. And when almost everyone wondered what plans Hyundai had for it, the news got released in ET today -

Hyundai to return to premium car market with Elantra & Sonata sedans

Hyundai to return to premium car market with Elantra & Sonata sedans - The Economic Times
Being a proud owner of the 2006 Elantra, I am happy and in dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924 View Post
I do not have concrete info, but read on some other thread that the Elantra is expected by mid-2012 (Aug) and that too only in diesels. The same has been tweeted by Siddharth of ACI.
Old 29th March 2012, 06:53   #104
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
It's almost certain that the Elantra is coming here. The Auto Expo didn't see the Elantra getting launched or getting much attention. And when almost everyone wondered what plans Hyundai had for it, the news got released in ET today -

Hyundai to return to premium car market with Elantra & Sonata sedans

Hyundai to return to premium car market with Elantra & Sonata sedans - The Economic Times
Being a proud owner of the 2006 Elantra, I am happy and in dilemma.
Im super excited about the Elantra coming in, too. Hyundai's new generation of cars come with serious global acclaim and offer great design, reliability and safety (Both, Elantra and Sonata aced, respectively, the IIHS, NHTSA, ANCAP, Korean NCAP). Also, not too many other manufacturers care to offer as much equipment as Hyundai does, which really sweetens the deal.

The mix becomes perfect if you add 2 ingredients - a diesel engine and good vfm. Sadly, the Sonata may have missed out on both. But Im guessing Hyundai had different intents and aspirations for the Sonata and the Elantra and would appreciate that the lack of diesel and good vfm in the latter could do far more serious damage to its prospects of any success in the country.

All of which adds back to - Im super excited about the Elantra coming in

Btw, any updates / scoops about the timeline of launch?

Last edited by R17 : 29th March 2012 at 06:54.
Old 29th March 2012, 18:52   #105
BHPian

The Sonata and Elantra are such good looking car! They reely have raised the bar on expectations from Hyundai from now. The goodies do make it even more lucrative.

If only they can make the cars more fun to drive, VW, GM & Toyoto will be no competition within the next 5 years.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks