Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 06:36   #136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

As per Car and Driver US edition it is likely to be retailed from a base price of 19000 USD onwards there.
And they do say that they have sorted the handling out and it is very GT!
Sold as the I30 in Europe it is certainly going to be a great car, but the thing here in India is the blessed pricing.
While technically this should be hanging about in Verna and Fiesta Territory more or less, it is actually going to be sitting a whole segment higher in India.

That is a real pain in my mind! Especially given that they will spec it down as well, for India, in order to meet pricing requirements here.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:15   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As per Car and Driver US edition it is likely to be retailed from a base price of 19000 USD onwards there.
And they do say that they have sorted the handling out and it is very GT!
Sold as the I30 in Europe it is certainly going to be a great car, but the thing here in India is the blessed pricing.
While technically this should be hanging about in Verna and Fiesta Territory more or less, it is actually going to be sitting a whole segment higher in India.

That is a real pain in my mind! Especially given that they will spec it down as well, for India, in order to meet pricing requirements here.
Shankar, slight correction there. The i30 in Europe (or Hyundai Elantra GT in the US) is not the same car which is being discussed here. The Elantra sedan (or Avante/ i35 in other markets) falls in the same category as of the Civic, Corolla Altis etc. So the pricing could be in the vicinity of 15 lakhs (+/-).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 14:37   #138
BHPian

Knowing Hyundai, the cars will have all the bells n whistles. If they are launching the diesel with the 1.6 engine, the car may require some remapping on the gear ratios since there is a pronounced lag (but then so does the Cruze). My old elantra was an absolute delight with respect to ride quality and the space with the engine being a lot better than the Octy.
I hope that this engine is better than the old 'un otherwise it would be sad.

Having said that, the 1.8 petrol may end up selling only a few hundred units a month whereas my gut feel is that the diesels will end up with the usual 3-4 month wait with at least 1,500-2,000 units a month if priced below 13-13.5 L ex-showroom
Old 27th June 2012, 01:18   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05
Having said that, the 1.8 petrol may end up selling only a few hundred units a month whereas my gut feel is that the diesels will end up with the usual 3-4 month wait with at least 1,500-2,000 units a month if priced below 13-13.5 L ex-showroom
IMO, 1500-2000 units are highly impossible as if you look at sales thread, this segment (excluding XUV) manages barely above 2000 a month all together (Altis - approximately 700, Cruze around 500 and rest managing around 200 each). So Elantra alone doing 1500-2000 mean either all others in the segment are dead or serious overlap with Verna, both looks highly impossible for me. Having said that, I expect Elantra to be in top 3 in segment if not at pole.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2012 at 02:12. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Old 27th June 2012, 02:21   #140
BHPian

I am not a great fan of Hyundai's fluidic family face & IMHO it looks neat, well designed & proportionate but not very different from Verna which might be a negative point for Hyundai. Any buyer who is paying premium would definitely want their car to look different than a design which is from a segment below.

I guess Hyundai is always smart when it comes to pricing, they know they can't compete with their German rivals in terms of ride & handling so they load their cars with endless list of features & price them competitively. I think the Hyundai should price it below the new Civic & the top end CRDI should be priced around the base model of Jetta.

Last edited by SrikantDora : 27th June 2012 at 02:22. Reason: Added few lines
SrikantDora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:22   #141
BHPian

Couldn't agree more. In the Hyundai world, there's almost too much fluidity today! The car looks a bit over-made-up and looks just about an elder cousin of the Verna. I feel these designs are a fad and not going to age that well. On the other hand, I believe the car has wowed North American buyers with it's good combination of reasonable power along with high fuel efficiency (or so their ads claim). Also, Hyundai always gives value in terms of a long feature list, so that shouldn't be too shabby for an average entry D buyer provided he/she is not looking for shattering dynamics. Price-wise, the car will do well to slot just under the Altis to encourage offtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
I am not a great fan of Hyundai's fluidic family face & IMHO it looks neat, well designed & proportionate but not very different from Verna which might be a negative point for Hyundai. Any buyer who is paying premium would definitely want their car to look different than a design which is from a segment below.
I guess Hyundai is always smart when it comes to pricing, they know they can't compete with their German rivals in terms of ride & handling so they load their cars with endless list of features & price them competitively. I think the Hyundai should price it below the new Civic & the top end CRDI should be priced around the base model of Jetta.
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 20:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

Is this coming soon? I just saw 2-3 without any tapes / messy camouflage.

Regards,
Old 5th July 2012, 20:16   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Is this coming soon? I just saw 2-3 without any tapes / messy camouflage.

Regards,
Spoke to my SA at Hyundai Service centre. He says their training is over. He is expecting the launch to be sometime next month and it will be called i30.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:17   #144
BHPian

Came across autocar's review of the Elantra now. No info on the pricing though.

Link: New Hyundai Elantra review, test drive | Review | Autocar India

Can we expect a TBHP review soon?
Old 5th July 2012, 20:50   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Came across autocar's review of the Elantra now. No info on the pricing though.

Link: New Hyundai Elantra review, test drive | Review | Autocar India

Can we expect a TBHP review soon?
is it me or does the MMI looks much smaller in the autocar review pics? if thats the case then its a big letdown, and yet another case of India getting downgraded cars. IMO the large MMI is / was the biggest attraction in the elantra's interiors.

autocar review picture

Elantra picture posted on page 5 in this thread

Last edited by reddevilgautam : 5th July 2012 at 20:56.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:59   #146
BHPian

Looks like Hyundai has successfully managed to retain the Verna's characteristics, i.e, steering feedback and handling.
Old 6th July 2012, 00:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
is it me or does the MMI looks much smaller in the autocar review pics? if thats the case then its a big letdown, and yet another case of India getting downgraded cars. IMO the large MMI is / was the biggest attraction in the elantra's interiors.

autocar review picture

Elantra picture posted on page 5 in this thread

Thats no MMI sir. We get a basic CD USB ICE in India !
Knowing Hyundai i was expectin the MMI and a Sunroof on the top version.
Also disappointing to know is that the car handles like the Verna. I was expecting better as many of the US reviews say its a great car.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:02   #148
BHPian

A typical Hyundai offering. Reasonably high levels of quality and reliability and a good option for the city dwellers. Those who love driving can completely skip this brand for some more time to come. sigh!!
Old 6th July 2012, 08:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the interior shots of Indian and international versions, I am now of the view that Hyundai does try to stint a few things off the list. The launch of updated i10 and i20 made me think that Hyundai is not differentiating between Indian and international customers, but these images prove otherwise.

Regarding the ACI review, most probably this car will do what Eon did to i10 or vice versa. Eon has somewhat eaten into sales of i10, and between Verna and Elantra, I think a bit of cross selling would occur. Essentially the same diesel engine, almost similar looks, similar driving characteristics then why spend more for Elantra. i10 has suffered via Eon due to great deal of similarities IMO. I hope Hyundai brings in 2.0 ltr diesel which it has.

Elantra is against some very tough competition in the form of Cruze, Jetta, Laura and Altis.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th July 2012 at 08:06.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:30   #150
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I feel Hyundai have taken the sharing of engines a but to far. The same 1.6 litre Diesel of the Verna is being used in the Elantra..

I have spotted this car many times on the Chennai-Bangalore highway and have loved the way it looks, even though it can be easily mistaken to be a Verna. But, Hyundai should have offered a more powerful engine to differentiate the two segments, or atleast bumped up the power to 150 BHP. I guess this move is purely to increase profitability of Hyundai.

Last edited by MAS : 6th July 2012 at 08:35.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed