Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Was parking space a major decision factor while shortlisting the car
Yes, Parking space was a major decision factor 117 57.35%
No, Parking space was not a decision factor at all 87 42.65%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 08:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking lot space - A major decision factor in short listing cars?

Reminds me of a case. My colleague booked a Honda City and on delivery he found that he could not park it in the basement. Parking was too small. They had to cancel the booking. Somehow he managed not to get a big financial hit.
Old 29th April 2012, 09:32   #62
BHPian

voted yes. i have one covered parking which can fit no big car than an OHC, max one can squeeze in is an scorpio but that becomes very difficult to take in or out with vehicles parked outside in the open. my next purchase is likely to be a hatch (Punto 90 or Figo).
i had OHC and NHC till few months ago and used to park NHC in the open on the road.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't say parking space at home was a big factor for me, in the sense that I didn't buy a hatch simply because I had no space to park a sedan. I had already decided on a hatch due to various other reasons. But, when it is time to upgrade the car, parking space might play a major part in the decision - that is if I cannot upgrade my house in time
Old 29th April 2012, 12:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

An important decision factor no doubt while choosing the right car for me. Mine is an old building and the space where I park is not long enough to park a sedan. If visitors do park their sedans in my spot, their cars slightly block the gate which may cause inconvenience to others.

With a budget for a Linea or the City, I had to finally settle down for a Ritz considering the size and convenience it offers. My next upgrade would be to a real hot hatch (if any) launched by then or else may consider the Yeti then.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Voted Maybe - when i was shortlisting the cars earlier this year ,parking space was not a reason which was on the top of the list , it was a benefit which i 'backfitted' when i finally did decide on the Fabia - ' ok so are getting the Fabia that should help with parking as well'
Old 29th April 2012, 13:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Voted Maybe - when i was shortlisting the cars earlier this year ,parking space was not a reason which was on the top of the list , it was a benefit which i 'backfitted' when i finally did decide on the Fabia - ' ok so are getting the Fabia that should help with parking as well'
Voted YES. I always wanted a Endeavor. The size of my parking lot in my apartment would at best fit a city. Moving to another apartment just for the sake of a car was a no-no. - Guess side effect of living in a city like Bangalore.
Old 29th April 2012, 19:32   #67
BHPian

For me the main reason I settled with Chevy Beat D was parking space and width of bylane where i live

To park car at my home one have to reverse 50m through the bylane having width less than 2m

I would have loved to buy a sedan or at least Swift or Figo, but any car wider than say i10 would be tough to live with on a daily basis

For me Chevy Beat D was God send as my wish was a diesel car with width same as i10
Old 29th April 2012, 22:55   #68
BHPian

I am in a dilemna about buying an extra car parking for my apartment. Both me and my wife are working. The car park will cost 2.75 lakhs.

My office is nearby so wifey takes the car. But i am worried about the future if i have to shift office. I have a car and a bike right now.

Any comments guys? Does it make sense?
Old 29th April 2012, 23:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post

For me Chevy Beat D was God send as my wish was a diesel car with width same as i10
My Beat P was God send as well. I had no clue how big my parking space was (or if I had one) when I booked the car. Got the car and realized that anything wider or longer than the Beat would not fit. In fact the Beats 'small' size is sometimes too big.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:19   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Was really surprised to see the poll result with majority having to consider the parking spot. I probably could manage to get 2-3 of the largest SUV's into the space available to me but yes parking a smaller vehicle will always be more convenient even in most large parking slots as well. I guess this is also a question of staying in appartments blocks with limited parking or independent housing with gated parking.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:51   #71
A.R
BHPian

Voted Yes. I was looking at buying a Safari back in '10 and had to back out since the roof would amost touch my basement ceiling. Now in my new house, I just have one car park but can probably fit most of the cars sold today. Time to change!
Old 30th April 2012, 20:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. It hasn't been a factor at all till now. However, it would be a factor going ahead esp if #cars to be parked goes up ;-)
Old 30th April 2012, 22:25   #73
BHPian

Voted No, although I have acute parking problem at my office. Have covered and secured parking at home but parking at office is always a problem. The nearest car park is at the railway station, where they charge Rupees one hundred and thirty for a duration of nine hours, which I find really expensive to bear on an everyday basis.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 30th April 2012 at 22:31.
Old 30th April 2012, 23:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

I should vote both yes and no In Mangalore parking is not a problem if at all i can make my mom agree to shift her garden but its a tough ask In Bangalore yeah parking is major factor for me.

One of my uncles wanted to buy Dzire but it was not fitting in at parking space. Now with new dzire looks like it fits in, its probably just enough. He is talking to MSIL showroom to get car home to park and check. Even before another relative of mine had got Wagon-r instead of Swift due to parking space problem. So if i see and talk to people around me, parking space IS a decision maker for many.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:20   #75
BHPian

We have two cars and live in an apartment with basement parking for one. My wife's car stays in the basement (obviously ). My car is parked outside (and has been scratched a couple of times/rear windshield shattered once). I want to buy a Laura TSi but can't bear the thought of parking it outside! Can't buy a new parking space either - all sold out. Catch 22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks