Team-BHP - Parking lot space - A major decision factor in short listing cars?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Parking lot space - A major decision factor in short listing cars? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/81762-parking-lot-space-major-decision-factor-short-listing-cars.html)

Friends, two of my friends are thinking of upgrading their hatchbacks and have budget of 6 lacs and 8 lacs. However, due to parking lot space constraints they are forced to go in again for only hatchbacks instead of sedan.

How many of you had to consider parking lot space while purchasing a car? Is it a major decision factor?

On a side note, I feel this becomes a constraint for people living in flat. Going forward, people should give a serious thought to the parking lot space while purchasing a flat. Also builders should start providing parking lot which can accommodate a sedan comfortably.

Yes, Parking space does play an important factor during decision making in my opinion, I pay for parking, if I had a small car, I could get covered parking, but due to the size of my car I now have open parking.

Voted No; there's sufficient space to park more than 5 cars only constraint being necessity.

In apartments parking is a premimum space. Hatchbacks suited the kind of space we are alloted as navigating a sedan is a little tricky

Come to think of it, you don't have parking space and you park your car everyday on the roadside/footpath. Its just the matter of time before a scum bag decides to vandalize your car. BTW some one just scratched my parents car last night when it was parked in front of our house.
Sadists come in different shapes and sizes and I speak from experience :).

Definitely for me parking space was a criteria before I picked up the Scorp'. I live in an apartment complex and had to ensure that there was enough space for me to park a SUV, a hatchback and 2 bikes. Parking these days come at a premium.

Quote:

Also builders should start providing parking lot which can accommodate a sedan comfortably.
Here the builder should be held responsible. Surprising that a parking slot provided (for which a premium would have been charged) by the builder cannot accommodate a sedan.

My vote: No.

I have place to park 15 cars at my home!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun1100 (Post 1893354)
My vote: No.

I have place to park 15 cars at my home!

You are one lucky dude in that case, wish I had that much space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmanaman (Post 1893358)
You are one lucky dude in that case, wish I had that much space.

Yes, I am lucky! But not lucky enough to park luxurious cars yet! Currently filled with good old Fiats and few Maruti cars. He he.

This is my parking area.

Parking space is an issue especially for people who live in apartments. For people who have their own house, you guys are lucky.

When i had to purchase my first car, i had the option of a sedan and a hatch. Both were within my budget and the sedan appealed to me more.

But, my apartment was built long time ago and sadly there is parking space for only one car, which is owned by another flat owner. So I had to search for parking spaces in adjacent apartments and car park sheds. Found a shed which is hardly a minutes walk from my place but they insist on only small cars, obviously for them more cars means more money. Even if i do find another parking space which can accomodate a bigger car then i have to walk atleast 10 minutes to it, making it not feasible.

Now if i want to upgrade to a sedan, i have to shift to another apartment which has ample space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS Power (Post 1893403)
Parking space is an issue especially for people who live in apartments. For people who have their own house, you guys are lucky.

Not necessarily. These days every house has two or three cars. Its still an issue to park cars on the road, especially in front of others house..

Yes, Even though my locality has ample space to park on road side, I made a point to buy a vehicle which can fit in my garage so that I dont use the road. I resisted going for a 2nd vehicle due to same reason. I have a neighbour and he has an SUV and his house (front width) is smaller than the length of the SUV :Shockked: I feel it is a valid point. Many countries abroad, it is very expensive to maintain a vehicle due to parking space cost. Example is Hong Kong. You can buy a swanky car may be fraction of the cost we pay in India, but parking cost of one year will cost more than the car. We would realise only when some one start charging for the space we occupy. Going rate in many upmarket locality in bangalore is Rs 5000 and above per sq.ft. Calculate the cost of your parking space.

Yes. it short listed my car depending upon availability of parking area (along with other valid factors) in my apartment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS Power (Post 1893403)
Now if i want to upgrade to a sedan, i have to shift to another apartment which has ample space.

It might be cheaper to negotiate a slightly higher rental for your existing parking space for a sedan :)

Yes it is a problem. Though I do have space for 1 car and have parked my OHC VTEC there when I am considering to expand and add on a new "OLD" car parking is definetly that something concerns me.

I voted for 'No' as I have ample parking lot for 3 cars at my home.