Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 13:52   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Very very tricky situtation for MSIL. My take is that, they might offer the F8 is in the LX varients (with/without PS) and start offering K10B only from LXi/VX/VXi versions.
+1 to that. Most probably the F8D will continue to power the Std and Lx versions while the Lxi and Vxi will only be available with the K10B motor, else they are going to have a hard time pricing the F8D Lxi and K10B Lxi.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:00   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Must be the Lxi.
I checked for Vxi, and I mentioned Price as speculated, this guy in Maruti knows me for sometime now so, he also mentioned there might be a slight price cut on Lxi. But really I don't think OTR price will be more than 3.5L, else the Alto advantage is gone. Lets wait till Monday and I will know whats in store for us.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:06   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Well if F8 and K10B are going to sell together, then we can expect a price difference of 12-15K.

The point is, if both has similar FE with the latter having a new aluminium engine, better & slightly bigger interiors and exteriors, wider tyres (better profile) there is no reason why F8 will sell only in 3 digits!

Very very tricky situtation for MSIL. My take is that, they might offer the F8 is in the LX varients (with/without PS) and start offering K10B only from LXi/VX/VXi versions.

Here is what I have heard..

With Maruti 800 exiting BSIV cities, Maruti is trying to position Base alto in its place.

So My understanding is Maruti Alto 800 STD BSIV will be launched at 1.99L ex show room.

The remaining variants' pricing also will be adjusted suitably to make Top End K10 engin VXI engine launch at a ex-showroom price of 3L.

Let us wait till Monday if this is true.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:35   #304
BHPian

FINALLY Alto K Series 1000 cc is due on August 5, 2010

Just today I finally got the news from a Maruti Showroom in Mayapuri. I had gone there to choose between Wagon R & Estilo cars and had zoomed in on Wagon R which I thought was a bit too long for my parking comfort.

Alto fascinated me because of its neat and compact looks and with the parking problems multiplying in Delhi mounting, Wagon R seemed a wrong choice for me. But I felt Alto was definitely underpowered with an 800 cc engine. My 12 year old association with Maruti 800 had just one bone of contention - The AC was always at the cost of power and I struggled to push my underpowered car during the 6 odd months of summer. I also suspect that most of the breakdowns and battery problems I faced were due to overheating and strain on the engine. No way was I going to settle for an underpowered engine.

To my delight I got the news that Maruti was coming with an Alto K series, 1000 cc engine, when I got home from the showroom. I was googling for opinions on Alto, Estilo and Wagon R and came across this so called 'rumor' of an early launch.

When I asked the guy who was assisting me for the purchase, he said it is just a rumor and they had not heard of anything like that. He added that people are also talking of Cervo, Maruti small car and even that is no longer in the horizon. He told me it will be at least an year before Alto could be expected and there was a big IF to it.

I didn't believe him and assumed he wanted to close in the sale. I told him I had changed my mind and would only go for the new Alto, IF and when it arrives.

The guy kept pestering me with calls. Initially I used the 'not getting enough price for my old car' excuse and it worked to my advantage. The offer shot up from Rs. 35,000 to Rs. 40,000 in three calls over three days. And this should tell you about the buffers they have on used cars.

Seeing that I had got a decent price, I told him that I was open to the new Alto as and when it came. The guy kept calling and I kept insisting on Alto. I never got irritated at his calls in which he tried to sell me Wagon R. He was doing his job and I was doing mine. He had given me a good offer on my old car and I wanted information as to whenever the car was due.

So today morning I got a call that they are expecting Alto 1000 cc on August 5. Straight from the horses mouth. The guy didn't give any details on price and looks and promised to inform me whenever it appeared on the showroom.

So it is finally here. Our beloved Alto in its new Avatar!
B segment beware. The show stopper and the scenestealer is here.

Three Cheers!
Old 30th July 2010, 18:10   #305
Senior - BHPian

800cc engine doesnt do justice to a car with AC and power steering, it needs 1000cc engine.

im glad the Alto gets a heart transplant of 1000cc engine.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:56   #306
Senior - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Phase 2 - No changes just introduction of PS variants

Alto LX (With A/c)
Alto LXi(With A/c)
Alto VX(With A/c & PS)
Alto VXi(With A/c & PS)
Hi,
Are you sure that the LXi and VXi were launched simultaneously? And when was this?
Also when was the VX version discontinued?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 30th July 2010 at 19:57.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:58   #307
BHPian

New Alto

TV add's have started. It looked good in the Salsa red color in the add.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:12   #308
BANNED

Sourse: Hindustan Times

"...MSI will launch a two new versions of its small car Alto on August 4 with a 1.0 litre K-series engine.

The Alto is the best selling car model in India averaging over 20,000 units per month. The company has sold nearly 14 lakh units since its launch in September 2000.

"We are expecting about 25 per cent increase in Alto's sales after the launch of the new variant Alto K10," Srivastava said, adding the first time buyers are gradually going for more sophisticated and feature oriented models.

In April, MSI had introduced BS IV compliant Alto on the existing 800cc F Series engine and this model will continue.

When asked about the possible price of the new Alto, he said,"There is a huge gap between the top model of existing Alto and the base version of Estilo. The base variant of AltoK10 may be priced between this range."

The existing Alto is priced between Rs 2.29 lakh and Rs 2.81 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), while the Estilo starts at Rs 3.20 lakh and goes up to Rs 4.10 lakh.

AltoK10 will have a mileage of 20.2 kilometer per litre as per Automotive Research Association of India standards..."

Last edited by romeomidhun : 30th July 2010 at 20:14.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:44   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Are you sure that the LXi and VXi were launched simultaneously? And when was this?
Also when was the VX version discontinued?

Regards
Sutripta

Yes & they were branded as Spin initially i.e Alto LXi Spin, I believe they were introduced somewhere around 2002.

The Alto VX/VXi was discontinued in Mid 2003 (Around April/May)
Old 30th July 2010, 22:34   #310
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I just saw the tv ad of New Alto. The car was looking great.

The Ad had lines
Dhantenaan
Coming Soon.

Aug 4 as launch date looks realistic now

Last edited by ottocycle : 30th July 2010 at 22:41.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:35   #311
Senior - BHPian

K-uriosity Factor
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-alto_k.jpg  

Old 31st July 2010, 01:07   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icar View Post
More pics from Motoroids/Wheelosphere.com
whoever took these photos inside the maruti factory, hats off to him!

i like the look and the engine of the Alto K10.
Old 31st July 2010, 19:32   #313
BHPian

New Alto K10s sighted at Porvorim-Goa

I was travelling from Porvorim (my house) to Panjim a short while ago (5.30 pm), when I noticed the 4 Alto K10s (2 LXI and 2 VXI) lined up in the stockyard at the Sai Service station at Porvorim, which is adjacent to the highway NH17. Incidentally, the white Alto K10 LXI was placed adjacent to a Alto BS4, while there was also a silver and a orangish-red Alto K10 (as pictured in the advert photo a few posts earlier) by the side. I quickly parked my Alto LXI (2008) to have a quick layman's inspection of the new K10 and the absence of a security guard at the stockyard made my task even easier. Since the windows were all rolled up, I could not get a chance to get a more detailed inspection.

My initial impressions:

* The K10s really look "posh" from the front, in comparison to the earlier Alto. The longish bonnet, the front bumper and the different lights add up to a great deal of "premium-car" feel. The earlier Alto looked quite plain compared to its K10 sibling.

* The Instrument console (the speedometer cluster) is different form the earlier Alto. The LXI does not feature a tachometer, which is present on a VXI. The LXI also did not have fog lights. The VXI also sported a rear parcel tray.

* The other controls (AC + blower section) appear to be the same as the earlier Alto.

* The dicky space seems to be higher in the K10 version. what I mean is, while the width of the dicky (distance from the seat to the hatch door) is, thankfully, the same, the dicky seems slightly higher from the base. The base now seems to be on line with the door lock, as opposed to the earlier model where there was a slight depression and the base was lower from the hatch lock.

* The front two seats have a molded headrest, like the I10, while the reat seats have a similar mini-headrest like the earlier Altos.

* The orangish-red and the gray coloured cars stood out from the white model.

* From a certain angle, it appears as if the old Zen is back with the low longish bonnet look.

I didn't have much time for a more detailed inspection as I was proceeding to work.

Thanks,
Melvyn

PS: Hey Gansan, are you still going to divorce your Alto LXI 2009? Hey GPA, what about you? Man, I don't know whether I should stick with my 2-year-old Alto (head says this) or go in for the new K10 (heart says this). Maybe, as a compromise, I may consider a K10 a year from now so that...

1. The depreciation factor for my alto LXI 2008 would be better after 3 years as opposed to 2 years.

2. If there are any teething problems with the K10 (like the Also BS4), they would be sorted out by then. Also, the K10 would be well tested on Indian roads by then.

3. The waitlist would be streamlined by then.

4. Hopefully, there would be some discounts + freebies by then.

Last edited by misquitas : 31st July 2010 at 19:41.
Old 31st July 2010, 19:46   #314
BHPian

Great pick there, have noticed any change in the gear box design and steering wheel?, it is supposed to come with 3 pin wheel, and what about the tyre size? does Vxi has alloys?
Old 31st July 2010, 20:27   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Great pick there, have noticed any change in the gear box design and steering wheel?, it is supposed to come with 3 pin wheel, and what about the tyre size? does Vxi has alloys?
Oh yes, I noticed that the steering had a more elegant 3 spoke wheel as compared to the earlier 2-spoke steering of the previous Alto. Adds to the ooomph value of the car.

I didn't notice any alloys on the wheel, though the bigger tyres also give tyhe K10 a 'meatier' look.

The gear box has a new knob and since I couldn't get a chance to open the door, I can't say for sure the gear box design.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed