Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 17:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

It will be & trust me on this Sir; if the new Alto is powered with 998CC K-Series engine & has sufficient goodies, then it will outrun the sales of WagonR.
argee,

I tend to disagree. No doubt the 1L engine will take Alto to new heights,but it can never match the practicality that WagonR offers. Personally, I would pick a WagonR over a 1L Alto, due to the flexibility it offers.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Knowing Maruti, wili it be K series or a La Eecco job? A re-bored and made to 1200 cc Esteem engine does the job in the Eecco. Likewise some detuned are borechanged engines may appear in Alto alongwith a new Grill, Bumper, headlight, Tail light combo.

Or it could be a three cylinder version of the Eeco engine.
Wait is the best thing.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th May 2010 at 18:32.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
argee,

I tend to disagree. No doubt the 1L engine will take Alto to new heights,but it can never match the practicality that WagonR offers. Personally, I would pick a WagonR over a 1L Alto, due to the flexibility it offers.
That's what I did in 2001, when both models were available with the same engine.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:24   #19
BANNED

Will it be an engine upgrade only? Or like New Wagon-R, a completely new model will come as Alto? I expect any one of these. One is a modified A-Star, other is a modified Alto.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-suzuki_japanese_alto.jpg  

Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-alto_japan.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th May 2010 at 18:25.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The old Alto VXi 1.1 was discontinued for some reason & later WagonR enjoyed the same engine. Now if, the new Alto is plonking the same engine as WagonR what would be difference? Just the little goodies & the tall boy feature of WagonR missing in the new Alto?

It will be & trust me on this Sir; if the new Alto is powered with 998CC K-Series engine & has sufficient goodies, then it will outrun the sales of WagonR.
If they bring it out A Star will be surely hit, so may be it will be in turn upgraded to the 1.2 L engine? That would be some car!

It may not threaten the Wagon R though. Even the old Alto VXi threatened to kill the old Zen, not the Wagon-R I think.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th May 2010 at 19:02.
Old 20th May 2010, 00:10   #21
Muzungu

from what i remember, Alto was launched in 800 cc and 1000cc, but due to lack of sales and higher cost it was discontinued!

why sudden rival now?

Old 20th May 2010, 00:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^^

It was launched with 800cc 3 cylinder, the current one and VXi with four cylinder 1.1 ltr Wagon R motor. The price difference between LX and VX was more than one and half lac. So due to low sales, it was discontinued.
Old 20th May 2010, 02:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Maruti is learning their lessons. Or may be they took some lessons from t-bhp.

The Alto 1000 will be an ideal car for first time car buyers who are in their early or mid 20s. I still feel it will not be as good as the old though. Considering the Alto's weight as 750kg and K-series engine has a power of 67bhp. That will take the bhp per ton to ~90bhp/ton. Sounds exciting!
Old 20th May 2010, 05:30   #24
BHPian

I think instead of putting a 1 liter engine in the Alto, they should bring down the prices of the A star, I would anyday pick an A star over an Alto, however the prices of the Astar are simply no good, it should be 50k cheaper OTR from it's current price.
Old 20th May 2010, 08:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
That will take the bhp per ton to ~90bhp/ton. Sounds exciting!
Was going through all the posts in the thread without much enthusiasm. But not this post!

90bhp per ton for 3lakhs! Awesome! Bring it on, Maruti.

I dont think this will hit the WagonR. USP of WagonR is space and practicality, not FTD. However, this could affect the sales of A-star which is already facing a tough time.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:22   #26
BHPian

If Maruti comes up with K10 Alto, I would book one as soon as they start taking bookings for it. It would be one hell of a car to drive with such a good power to weight ratio.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think this will hit the WagonR. USP of WagonR is space and practicality, not FTD. However, this could affect the sales of A-star which is already facing a tough time.
Totally agree with the above point.
but again its all about giving more choice and options to the customer and maruti is very good at that, having 3-4 different cars in similar price brackets not only provides better choice to the customer but it also sees that the sales happen within the company.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:00   #28
BHPian

Alto targets the budget segment - people who buy this look primarily at FE and low cost of ownership at a very affordable price. The design is almost a decade old - it offers the bare bone and nothing else - the prices have been kept low and this is probably the reason why it has been having a winning streak in the volumes per month sold game. Now, with the introduction of a more powerful motor in a old design, will it find any takers at all. The primary reason behind this has to be the containment of people going over to the Spark camp - better design, better motor. But will an enthusiast, who would love to drive a powerful car stick to a design as old as the Alto and pay a 25-50K premium? I mean he would have multiple options to choose from - The Spark, A Star, Estilo and the new Wagon R with the same engine. I still don't think it makes sense - unless Maruti gets the new Alto here - which would mean a more cars in the Maruti stable and more trouble for the Estilo and the A-Star. Infact Maruti should reduce the prices of Alto, A-Star and Estilo by about 25-30K to make it more appealing to the market - Other than the Alto, none of the other cars are selling much anyway. Alto is facing stiff competition from the Spark and this price reduction may help Alto to hang on to a few thousand more customers. Alternatively, they should plonk the K12B into the WagonR - may be a ZXi or Sport version. This would help draw more people to the showrooms - including me - as somehow the concept of a car with higher NVH levels due to a 3 cylinder pot, just doesn't digest. At the end of the day this engine does provide superb FE on the Ritz and the Swift. With a lighter WagonR, this engine would be like a racehorse inside.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd May 2010 at 00:14. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
Now, with the introduction of a more powerful motor in a old design, will it find any takers at all. The primary reason behind this has to be the containment of people going over to the Spark camp - better design, better motor. But will an enthusiast, who would love to drive a powerful car stick to a design as old as the Alto and pay a 25-50K premium? I mean he would have multiple options to choose from - The Spark, A Star, Estilo and the new Wagon R with the same engine. Alto is facing stiff competition from the Spark and this price reduction may help Alto to hang on to a few thousand more customers.
I will buy the 1000 cc Alto in a jiffy, but not look at the A Star twice. And please don't include the Spark in the "performance" category by any stretch of your imagination! A 1000 cc Alto with the K series Motor will run circles around it. Why, if it tries to drag with the old Alto VXi, the Spark will not even catch the smoke of the Alto!
Old 21st May 2010, 10:20   #30
BHPian

I feel it will affect or get affected by the sales of A-Star. Almost Alto,AStar,Zen estilo are in the same price range. But for the maruti buyers it offers more choice.

Thanks,
SANSI
Closed Thread

Most Viewed