Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 14:59   #61
BHPian

MSIL has made the current alto for BS-IV compliant but there is no face lift (only minor changes are there). Any news about face lift in current 800cc alto. It is more than 4 years and a face lift is due.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If they're going to plonk in the K10B motor into the Alto they will have to redesign the front end. Both the cars which had K10B dropped in at a later stage, Estilo & 2010 Wagon R, had to get its front end redesigned to accomodate this motor.

This motor is the reason for the facelift of the Estilo and the Design change of the 2010 WagonR compared to its Jap variant. So if K10B happens in Alto it will necessitate redesign, even if its minimal.

And if a redesign happens you can be sure that current Alto will be phased out, and if Maruti decides to sell both 0.8 and 1.0 liter versions it will be the redesigned car.
June issue of Autocar carries the news that Maruti is planning the launch of Alto with 1 liter K series engine by next month. Like i said before it was mentioned in Autocar that front end of the Alto would be extensively modified to accommodate the K series engine.

So my guess is if they're going to sell both 1 liter and 0.8liter engines both will be in the facelifted body, and Alto with its current looks will be phased out. I hope they do a good job in redesigning the nose of the car, keeping the current balanced looks.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

I would like to buy one - hope it will be a worthy successor to the Alto VXi of yore! Somehow the idea of a pocket rocket pulls my heart strings more than a big car. But why does it need a redesign? The VXi accommodated the bigger 1.1 litre motor easily enough!

Last edited by Gansan : 10th June 2010 at 11:02.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But why does it need a redesign? The VXi accommodated the bigger 1.1 litre motor easily enough!
Even the Zen Estilo, which had the 1.1 liter F10D engine in it, needed a nose extension job to accommodate the K10B engine. K10B is with its complete trim level, including air intake, airbox and other stuff might be too tight for the available space. Comparing K engine to F engine the K series looks slightly wider (exhaust to intake) than the F8D/F10D.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

So any news of this getting launched?Somehow i feel that the new car touted to be launched by maruti in the 2.75-3.5 lakh bracket could be none other than a k-series alto.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:35   #66
BHPian

Maruti Alto in New Avatar

Dear Bhpians,

Maruti Suzuki is gearing up to launch an expensive variant of its largest-selling car, Alto, next month.

The new avatar will sport a 1000cc, K-series engine, which is expected to be more powerful and fuel efficient.

The 1 litre version is expected to be come at a significant price premium to the existing car. At present, the Altos certified mileage is 19.7 kmpl, but the new car is expected to give over 20 kmpl

Alto Standard comes for about Rs 2.43 lakh whereas the top end variant costs about Rs 2.75 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai).New Alto's top variant is expected to cross the Rs 3-lakh mark.

Cheers.

Last edited by sameern.85 : 8th July 2010 at 17:36.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:55   #67
BHPian

Sameer, it is expected to have any facelifts or it is going to the same shell?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:20   #68
SDP
Team-BHP Support

1. Pardon my igonrance, but I have heard about 1.1 and 1.3L engines from Maruti. Where did the 1L come from?
2. Alto was being offered in a 1.1L variant prior to 2004. They discontinued it as it was canibalizing Zen. Wouldn't a similar concern be there if they introduce a bigger engine now?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:24   #69
BHPian

When Alto was first launched, the top model came with a 1100cc variant. A friend of mine had bought this. It was quite a peppy car.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:30   #70
BHPian

So first Maruthi gets rid of the bigger engine and now is going back to it. What exactly is going on?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. Pardon my igonrance, but I have heard about 1.1 and 1.3L engines from Maruti. Where did the 1L come from?
2. Alto was being offered in a 1.1L variant prior to 2004. They discontinued it as it was canibalizing Zen. Wouldn't a similar concern be there if they introduce a bigger engine now?

Er..you forgot about the K10?

The same 1 litre that does duty in A-star,WagonR,Estilo.

@MUTANT

Yes, its expected to have a revamped a front and rear plus new interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
So first Maruthi gets rid of the bigger engine and now is going back to it. What exactly is going on?
K10 is almost as efficient as the current 800cc engine (F8). Much more greener too. Plus, K10 is much more Fuel Efficient than now defunct F11 and yet is almost as powerful.

Basically, Maruti is offering more Power without any increase in Fuel Consumption. Something which the 1.1 alto failed to do as it was less FE as compared to 0.8 Alto.

A wild guess:
Maruti tweaked the F8 to meet BS4 and its marginally more powerful and efficient now. That speaks that F8 isn't anywhere close to retirement.
Plus, this happened just a few months ago. If Maruti was really keen on discontinuing the F8 and using the K10 in best selling alto, it would not had to spend on tweaking the F8.

What I think is that now that we may soon say goodbye to 800, and the K10 plus facelifts may up the price of Alto, there will be a vacancy for a new model.

That where the CERVO comes into picture. Its a small car and is rumored to compete with the Nano.
Also, the 660cc Turbo petrol that does duty in the vehicle at Japan may turn out to be expensive to bring and localize the components. Plus it wont be feasible to use it in other hatches as Estilo/WagonR have just received K10 treatment. Hence the current F8 may find home under CERVO's hood.

PS--This is just a wild wild guess. It does explain tweaking of F8 and introduction of K10 with Alto but its just a mere speculation from my side.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 8th July 2010 at 18:43.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

if present model alto's certified mileage is 19.7kmph whereas the new ones expected to be 20 - not much difference in mileage by fitting a new engine.
And alto also going to get 1000cc engine, then it will be in the same range of
estillo and wagon R (998cc) ?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hi,

This is major step towards streamlining operations as far as the engines are concerned. K Series engine, similar to A Star and Even Wagon R. I guess.
Also, it is mainly to pump up sales of the Alto and MS wishes to hang on to its market share in the A category. It has lost some share after Maruti 800 has been discontinued and Nano has been eating its share and Bajaj - Renault has been planning to launch a new car as well.

Will keep everyone posted on any other news.
Cheers..!
Old 8th July 2010, 18:45   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
if present model alto's certified mileage is 19.7kmph whereas the new ones expected to be 20 - not much difference in mileage by fitting a new engine.
And alto also going to get 1000cc engine, then it will be in the same range of
estillo and wagon R (998cc) ?
Yes, It is going to be an extension to Estilo and Wagon R, some tweaks in the engine and ECU.

Also, I think because MS will be using same engines, it will be in a better position to arm twist suppliers and hence, more contribution per car.

Cheers.!
Old 8th July 2010, 18:46   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Sameer, it is expected to have any facelifts or it is going to the same shell?
Minor facelifts are expected, in terms of headlights, grille. On similar lines of Wagon R (Blue eyed boy) and the new Estilo.

Cheers..!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks