Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 11:00   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Somehow I don't really like the new rear design, looks very dated and cheap.
+1 to that. Maruti engineers are great at taking a good looking car and then make it look as crappy as possible. They started off with the old Zen and now they do this to the Alto. I had hoped they would not screw up the looks, but they did just that. IMO, the BS III Alto's rear was the best looking among the hatches after the Swift. Now the Alto has lost its character. It looks more like a Spark than an Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have just visited ABT Maruti show room during lunch time and enquired with a sales person. He says there is no news about it so far, in fact he was hearing about it for the first time from me!
You should probably take a print out of the pics on this thread and 'educate' him.

What needs to be seen is whether the current Alto will retain its looks or whether the new Alto's looks will take over. I guess that would depend on the type of nose job the Alto gets. One thing's for sure though, the F8D motor will continue to soldier on.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st July 2010 at 12:20.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Oops!!! I meant that as 3.4 onroad. Rationale being that AltoLxi(800cc) is 3.1 onroad today. So a new Vxi (1000cc) with re-design, some features thrown in would be another 30K max. Sorry about the typo of 2.4.

I am confused now. Is it not just a new Vxi that is coming since you say entry-level variant, entry-point of 2.25L etc ? Are they revamping the whole Alto range with this new look car and with new engine ? That does not sound bad either. Cant wait for the tbhp TD report.
Yeap, we would need to wait for Tbhp TD report. A-Star is the closest to old-Alto. So this new-revamped Alto might be placed inbetween the old-Alto and A*. With H800 comming end of this year or may be early next year, maruti should get its act right. I already know people who are willing to trade their almost year old Alto for this new revamed model.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:54   #123
BHPian

Old body new heart

Guys,

Just a thought, can I plant the new engine 1 lit engine replacing my old 800cc engine ?
Old 21st July 2010, 12:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
Guys,

Just a thought, can I plant the new engine 1 lit engine replacing my old 800cc engine ?
It can be done, if you can buy the engine from Maruti and later get it endorsed at the RTO after the transplant - provided the engine bay of the new 1000 cc alto is the same size as that of the 800 cc one!

But what would be the cost of the engine? Rs 1.5 - 2.00 lacs at least? Does it become worthwhile to do it?
Old 21st July 2010, 12:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn
+1 to that. Maruti engineers are great at taking a good looking car and then make it look as crappy as possible. IMO, the BS III Alto's rear was the best looking among the hatches after the Swift. Now the Alto has lost its character. It looks more like a Spark than an Alto.
+100 to that. These guys take the cake when it comes to screwing up the looks. The new WagonR is another example of their 'talent'. And yes, the Alto had nice looks which seems to have been "Spark-ified".
Old 21st July 2010, 14:01   #126
Senior - BHPian

I echo the opinions of the others. That rear design looks absolutely horrible. The present one is 100 times better. I hope the front is not something similar to the rear.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

1) After looking at the spy shots, I am sure that many prospective customers will be put off. Rather than a confident upgrade with its own identity, it looks like Alto or rather the designers thought that Alto is suffering from identity crisis.
The rear end looks very bad.
The list of cars that Maruti engineers have spoiled :
Original Zen.
Wagon R. I think I have posted the images of Japanese Wagon R many times here.
Alto ( as per the spy shots posted here )

2) The Alto with the K10B is surely going to be a good performing hatch that can do good speeds even with passengers and AC. The current Alto takes a lot of time, specially after 100. The large compressor of the Alto spoils the party in F8, but this will not be true in K10B Alto.
The car becomes more complete with K10B. Only if they came up with better looks, this car would be a super hit.

Certainly a bad job done by Maruti-Suzuki.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:14   #128
Senior - BHPian

In this entry segment, I doubt if looks matter a whole lot. Folks just need a cheap and reliable option and Maruti knows that too well. If they can price it at max 25K more than the outgoing one, it will continue the ruling.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:15   #129
BHPian

Well seeing the spyshots with larger wheels and also considering the light weight and increased power of the K-series, i was just wonderin6g if the K-series Alto can be the true spiritual successor to the Zen. I think the Zen was as heavy or light as the current Alto and also the engine developed almost similiar power as the K-series engine. If Maruti makes the Zen fun to drive, it might be a nice little pocket-rocket.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:31   #130
BHPian

Quote:
The list of cars that Maruti engineers have spoiled :
Swift Dzire.
Omni(original one looked cute)

I dont know its just me , I felt bit scared after looking at Alto pics.Rear end seems to be higher than front.

Last edited by bullboy : 21st July 2010 at 14:33.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Maruti, how about replacing the current Alto 800cc with this 'new' Alto K10B, I mean no price hike and then plonk that 800cc EuroIV in M800 and continue selling it for another decade? Sounds like a perfect plan .

Last edited by HammerHead : 21st July 2010 at 14:33.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

@Hammerhead, I won't be surprised if they just go ahead and do that. Quite sensible idea actually. The M800 will get better (especially the a/c) and the Alto will get better courtesy the 1l engine.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:41   #133
BHPian

The rear looks bad. With this and the Verna we have enough content for a new
'worst facelifts ever' thread. Hang on- this one is an A**-lift. Please don't confuse this with Maruti's famous and well-know A.*.*
Old 21st July 2010, 14:44   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Maruti, how about replacing the current Alto 800cc with this 'new' Alto K10B, I mean no price hike and then plonk that 800cc EuroIV in M800 and continue selling it for another decade? Sounds like a perfect plan .
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Hammerhead, I won't be surprised if they just go ahead and do that. Quite sensible idea actually. The M800 will get better (especially the a/c) and the Alto will get better courtesy the 1l engine.
And bring out the A-Star with the 1200 cc K series engine as a premium pocket rocket!
Old 21st July 2010, 14:48   #135
BANNED

The present Alto's rear has a more mature look than this. This one goes the Zen 'tail' lift way. Have to see the front end to comment on it. BTW, where is the scoop master Sid? Gone with the wind?

Though Maruti designers have destroyed the good old Zen, DZire and A-Star concept, they have done good works to design Eeco (compared to Versa) and current Estilo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks