Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 23:10   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Alto K10 LXi is 7Kg and VXi is 50Kg heavier than current LXi. Expected launch date: Aug 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Relieved to know that, but still puzzled. Isn't the K series lighter than the iron block F series?

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
K-series is lighter, but the bigger body (extra length of 125mm) adds to the total weight, I think.
Quote:
Wheelbase being the same, increase of weight in the overhang!

Also what could there be in the Vx to account for 43 Kgs?

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Now I am confused, how can the length increase. I thought it was the same platform as the current Alto. Is there something that I am missing.
Quote:
K10 is wider. Engine bay length increased to accommodate that. Wheelbase remains the same.

Regards
Sutripta
1) The K10 unit weighs in at 47 kg dry. Not aware of what is weight of F8D.

2) The current Alto was able to accomodate the larger 1064cc version F10D without any modifications. But to accommodate a less than 1000cc K10 the front end needs some change.

Similar is the case with Estilo also. Estilo had to undergo a front end job to accommodate the smaller than F10D K series motor.

3) The overall increase in length, bigger rims, stiffened up suspension, etc. can contribute to increased weight. But overall the power to weight ration will be good enough. IMO, the K10 equipped Alto has the potential to settle in the Original Zen Zone. A small but good motor, reasonable space, good visibibility, reasonable boot, good handling and ride will be better than Zen. A smart move, but I hope the over lap will not kill this K10 Alto.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:47   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Err! isn't fabia a small car with a bloated price and pathetic engine.

BTW this thread is to discuss Alto with a new look/engine
He's talking about the VW connection here. All future Suzukis are likely to use VW diesel engines.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:52   #228
Senior - BHPian

some more scoop, new Alto gets same interiors, new instrument cluster with cool looking chromed ring dials a digital trip meter, swift style gear knob and better quality switchgear (wiper stalks etc) The basic dashboard style remains the same.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:38   #229
Senior - BHPian

So, there will be the following variants of Alto on sale ?
800cc : LX, LXi
1000cc: LXi, VXi

To avoid having LXi trims in both engine-variants and thus confusion for buyer, could they not have named the new variants as VXi and ZXi ? This would have made the range like LX, LXi, VXi & ZXi, with last 2 being K-series.

Any idea of what features are in K10-VXi over the K10-LXi ?
Old 27th July 2010, 14:02   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This would have made the range like LX, LXi, VXi & ZXi, with last 2 being K-series.
I think Maruti is not willing to give airbags & ABS as an option in Alto/Alto K-Series hence no ZXi. If they do provide these two and other features normally seen in their ZXi cars, sales guys will have tough time selling AStar.

Quote:
Any idea of what features are in K10-VXi over the K10-LXi ?
IMO features will be inline with VXi variants of other small cars.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:04   #231
Senior - BHPian

source: VXI K10 has front power windows.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:04   #232
BHPian

Saw this couple of days ago on NH 8.
A-Star with an Alto Badge. Probably one they import outside country as alto.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-21072010.jpg  

Old 27th July 2010, 14:16   #233
Senior - BHPian

oh that's a rare find, yes A-Star is being sold as Alto in other markets as well as Celerio in some south american markets.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:20   #234
Senior - BHPian

^^ or rather, A-Star was more of a replacement for Alto in other markets!
Old 27th July 2010, 14:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

India --- EU/UK
800 --- Alto
Zen --- Alto
Alto --- Alto
AStar --- Alto
Old 27th July 2010, 20:58   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) The overall increase in length, bigger rims, stiffened up suspension, etc. can contribute to increased weight. But overall the power to weight ration will be good enough. IMO, the K10 equipped Alto has the potential to settle in the Original Zen Zone. A small but good motor, reasonable space, good visibibility, reasonable boot, good handling and ride will be better than Zen. A smart move, but I hope the over lap will not kill this K10 Alto.
My concern is not with the power to weight. (and I sincerely hope it's not rationed!) I might be in a minority of one, but I think the Alto Vx was a half developed car. Pocket rocket - yes, but with a major handling issue. Also, traditionally Marutis have been undertyred, and ridiculously tall geared, in the interests of FE, and I suppose cost. Hope this time Maruti has done a more thorough job. Of defining their target clientele, and delivering a product for him.

Anyway, no point speculating with the launch just days away.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th July 2010, 10:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My concern is not with the power to weight. (and I sincerely hope it's not rationed!) I might be in a minority of one, but I think the Alto Vx was a half developed car. Pocket rocket - yes, but with a major handling issue. Also, traditionally Marutis have been undertyred, and ridiculously tall geared, in the interests of FE, and I suppose cost. Hope this time Maruti has done a more thorough job. Of defining their target clientele, and delivering a product for him.

Anyway, no point speculating with the launch just days away.

Regards
Sutripta
The power to weight ratio would be the benchmark in this segment so no qualms on that front. In fact it would be better than the Vx 1.1. The bhp is higher than the Vx even though they have reduced the cc.

The handling issue is something which I have felt in the Alto Lx after driving the M 800 5 speed. The 5 speed sits lower than you average 800 which does a world of good for its handling. While driving the Alto for the first time I too felt a bit uncomfortable carving corners on it when compared to the 5 speed but got used to it later. I guess the higher profile tyres are the main culprit here.

I hope they drop the height in the Alto K10 as that would boost the handling by a good measure.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:09   #238
Senior - BHPian

launch is on 4th august in delhi.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:18   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
source: VXI K10 has front power windows.
That's bad. They should provide 4 power windows and then call it a VXi. But this car's gonna sell like hot cakes even without any power windows and Maruti knows that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I hope they drop the height in the Alto K10 as that would boost the handling by a good measure.
I don't think so. How many Alto owners really care about handling?

Last edited by clevermax : 28th July 2010 at 12:20.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:26   #240
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.. Alto K10 looks really tempting! We've been on the lookout for a cheap car to use when we're in the country and this might just cut it! And performance is decent too
If it handles like an M800 I'll be happy!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks