Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 14:22   #241
Senior - BHPian

on the handling part, a birdie tells me that it handles more like the Original ZEN style
Old 28th July 2010, 14:51   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think so. How many Alto owners really care about handling?
All that is set to change with the Alto K10. It's going to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Don't be fooled by its looks. If any hatchback in the A or B segment (other than the Swift) decides to engage the K10 for battle, you will beg for mercy. The K10 Lxi weighs just 7 kgs more than the current one. The F8D belts out 47 ps while the K10B gives 67 ps. Power is increased by 20 ps while the weight goes up by a mere 7 kgs(Lxi). Now you do the math. 120 clips is where this motor starts to show some sign of strain due to the 3 pot effect. Till then its just revving all the way to glory. With the power to weight ratio at around 93 bhp to the ton for the Lxi and 87 bhp to the ton for the Vxi , its going to smoke out the competition.

Last edited by longhorn : 28th July 2010 at 15:07.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:01   #243
Senior - BHPian

^^ Talking of the Zen, this car would have been an ideal successor to the original Zen and could have been branded as the Zen LXi & VXi with another fully loaded ZXi variant added with airbags, ABS and fully loaded.

While we are all enthusiastic about this car, I am wondering if these new variants will really form a big chunk of the Alto sales. At OTR of 3.5lakhs or so, would the normal Alto-buyer see value in just a more powerful engine and some bells and whistles ?

Also, given that Alto has been the cheapest-car* available, would the market (excluding the few of us who are a minority) see value in these variants ? Won't the Spark/Santro/Estilo/WagonR/Beat still look like a slightly better (costlier/snobbish) option than an Alto of highest trim ? If so, using the Zen badge for this car would have been a good differentiator from the Alto image.

*I know that M800 & Nano are cheaper than Alto, but those are usually for the really cash-strapped buyers. Most people look at Alto as the starting point, as sales figures show.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th July 2010 at 15:03.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:08   #244
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
It's going to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Quote:
With the power to weight ratio at around 93 bhp
Or in other words, a power-to-weight ratio superior to the 8 lakh rupee SX4

This car PROVES that you do NOT need to spend money to have fun. It's going to be a cheap pocket rocket. 0 - 100 = 11 seconds target for stock. Light build = immense chuckability. I've always respected the Alto for its road manners (as an entry-level car). All for what, 3.xx lakh rupees? Spend another 30K on better tyres, a performance exhaust, porting & polishing...you are easily looking at a 100 BHP / ton power to weight ratio. Brand new for < 4 lakh rupees.

And of all the brands, who would have expected Maruti to launch a pocket rocket? Again, I am MIGHTY impressed that one can - very soon - buy a fun to drive car for cheap. Bring it on, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I am wondering if these new variants will really form a big chunk of the Alto sales. At OTR of 3.5lakhs or so, would the normal Alto-buyer see value in just a more powerful engine and some bells and whistles ?
Fuel efficiency = The K10 is, and the target market wants.

Performance : The Alto K series has. Market couldn't care less, but wouldn't mind it either. Plus, "cc" has bragging rights in the entry level segment.

This engine is about expanding the Alto's audience. Though it is India's largest selling car, a good number are put off by the humble performance of the 796cc unit. The K10 makes the Alto that much more useable (say, on the open road / ghats etc.). What an answer from Maruti!

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 16:10.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:10   #245
Team-BHP Support

They should have done this quite some time back. But better late than never!
Terrific answer from Maruti.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:05   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn
With the power to weight ratio at around 93 bhp to the ton for the Lxi and 87 bhp to the ton for the Vxi , its going to smoke out the competition.
Wonder why such a significant difference in PW ratio? Is this because the VXi is heavier by 43kg as mentioned on this thread ? If so, why so much heavier ? AFAIK, all the VXi has extra is Front PW, parcel tray, fog lamps and such trivial stuff, which should not add up to 43kgs. Remember that adding a boot to the Swift was just 30kgs extra.

I hope that 43kg figure is wrong. This difference in PW ratio is IMO a bad thing because if we opt for highest trim, we lose out on performance. That sucks, man.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th July 2010 at 18:09.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:37   #247
BHPian

There are no additional safety features in the Vxi model, so where is all the extra weight coming from.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:42   #248
BHPian

yea 0 - 100 in 11 secs and end up faster than that in the hospital! guys MS might be have been successful; in relaunching an Alto, but they should take a leaf from nissan's book and provide airbags and ABS atleast in the top model vxi or zxi or whatever it might be.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:23   #249
Senior - BHPian

0 -100 in 11 seconds doesn't necessarily mean that you need to go at 100 km/hr. The pick up really helps in city traffic, where every available second for over-taking counts.

As GTO rightly said, many of my friends selected other cars because of the lack of power in the 800 cc Alto. How I wish the 'K Series Alto' was available when I switch the AC 'on and off' during overtaking!

Last edited by jinojohnt : 28th July 2010 at 19:26.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:54   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
yea 0 - 100 in 11 secs and end up faster than that in the hospital! guys MS might be have been successful; in relaunching an Alto, but they should take a leaf from nissan's book and provide airbags and ABS atleast in the top model vxi or zxi or whatever it might be.
The addition of ABS and Airbags will increase the price of the car thereby creating a negative vibe amongst the general public.Moreover, MSIL doesn't want the Alto to eat into the sales of its other products. Also as far as the competition goes,none of the other manufacturers in the segment provide these features.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:58   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The addition of ABS and Airbags will increase the price of the car thereby creating a negative vibe amongst the general public.Moreover, MSIL doesn't want the Alto to eat into the sales of its other products. Also as far as the competition goes,none of the other manufacturers in the segment provide these features.
Why cannot they set an example instead of following the pack?
Old 28th July 2010, 20:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Why cannot they set an example instead of following the pack?
Why would they want to,its not like Alto is facing a major slump in sales. This car is launched not to create a statement but just to fend off the onslaught from Santro/Spark and above all to remove the underpowered tag from Alto's name.

The Spark LT with ABS & airbags option costs 4.25Lacs. An A-star Zxi costs only 4.2L. So would anyone in their sane mind pay 4lacs (ex-sh) for an Alto, atleast I wouldn't.

Last edited by harishnair : 28th July 2010 at 20:12.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:12   #253
Senior - BHPian

Great news! A performance car for the masses.

Hope the tighten up the suspension as well.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:14   #254
BHPian

what-ever the reason is, if SPARK can provide ABS, airbags in their top model why cant Alto have one with their top model. Let us wait for the launch. How many would be happy to see Alto ZXi? ZXi varient might not sell like the Lxi/Vxi but people who buy an alto have an option.

If Alto isnt provided/launced with ABS/Airbags then I am sure someone should ask "WHY" to MSIL. It would be funny to hear what they say!
Old 28th July 2010, 20:19   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Why would they want to,its not like Alto is facing a major slump in sales. This car is launched not to create a statement but just to fend off the onslaught from Santro/Spark and above all to remove the underpowered tag from Alto's name.

The Spark LT with ABS & airbags option costs 4.25Lacs. An A-star Zxi costs only 4.2L. So would anyone in their sane mind pay 4lacs (ex-sh) for an Alto, atleast I wouldn't.
The fact that you brought in A-star into comparison should spell the fact that Alto should not even be selling now - it should have been replaced by the A star as the new Alto. (its a different discussion that A star is cramped etc.)

Also - the very fact that Alto sells around 20K a month should have encouraged MSIL to take a small risk by introducing a top variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
what-ever the reason is, if SPARK can provide ABS, airbags in their top model why cant Alto have one with their top model. Let us wait for the launch. How many would be happy to see Alto ZXi? ZXi varient might not sell like the Lxi/Vxi but people who buy an alto have an option.

If Alto isnt provided/launced with ABS/Airbags then I am sure someone should ask "WHY" to MSIL. It would be funny to hear what they say!
Fair question!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks