Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 13:31   #271
BHPian

Yes, Yes, I am all for it! we need the government to introduce norms which states that ABS & airbag are mandatory for all cars (trucks - public or private).
Old 29th July 2010, 14:23   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The right way would be for the Govt to enforce safety features. Like it is mandatory to have seat-belts on all cars, they should make it mandatory for all cars to have airbags. Only then will we have a level playing field.

It is highly improbable that manufacturers will take the initiative, so the govt. should do something about it and that is the only way forward.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:55   #273
Senior - BHPian

We have precedents abroad,the Euro area had made ABS mandatory and only then they became popular.Even TCS(traction control system) is mandatory.Its only when things become mandatory then companies innovate to make them cheaper and economies of scale become helpful.Hopefully Indian government will take a leaf out of their books.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:10   #274
BANNED

More images from Indonesia:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-altokseries2.jpg  

Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-altokseries3.jpg  

Old 29th July 2010, 18:17   #275
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if i ve missed out, But can anyone let me know the Launch date in India ?
Old 29th July 2010, 18:40   #276
Senior - BHPian

4th August as I remember reading it on this thread.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:28   #277
SAS
BHPian

I just hope that Maruti doesn't go overboard and price it at a large premium. A premium of Rs. 15-20k is fine given the ridiculous levels of cost cutting they did on the Alto (I just hope they undone a few of those in the new Lxi and Vxi versions).

This car shall be the best bang for the buck, a swift city commuter with awesome fuel efficiency!
Old 29th July 2010, 19:33   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Sorry if i ve missed out, But can anyone let me know the Launch date in India ?
The launch date is expected as 23rd August 2010 and the back of the car looks somewhat like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti plans to relaunch Alto with 1000cc K-series engine-alto.jpg  

Old 29th July 2010, 19:56   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS
I just hope that Maruti doesn't go overboard and price it at a large premium.
Amen to that.

BTW, what do "we" think would be a good price for these versions, now that we have a decent idea of the features ? Given that currently the Alto LXi is 3.1lakh on-road Chennai, what would be a good OTR for the K10 Lxi & Vxi ? IMO, 3.3lakhs for the Lxi and 3.4lakhs for the Vxi would be awesome. Possible ?

And later (actually as soon as possible) a Zxi version with ABS and airbags at 3.7lakhs.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:02   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar View Post
The new Lxi and Vxi of Alto K10 is good for car enthusiasts. Voulmes may be doubt. The current Alto Lxi is is 3.45 L in Bangalore. The new K10 Vxi may touch 4 L in Banaglore and for that price band you will get other big hatches
MSIL know the game well and do not think price will be very high. They will be able to control the price well due to volumes (Alto K+Estilo+A*).
Old 29th July 2010, 21:12   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Understeer. After a limit all FWD are known to understeer. The Alto I drove had upgraded rubber. I have noticed that the Baleno we have in family is not as good handler when compared with Baleno with wider tyres.
Once again, a truism. Not what I was alluding to. In my eyes, the chassis dynamics of the Vx were inferior to that of the Lx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thats not completely true, what you drove was a VX variant i.e. one without Power Steering, there was a variant called VXi (launched after a while) which had Power Steering & it had absolutely no issues with steering.
By the time the Vxi was launched, I was no longer in the market. Never drove one. Any idea why there was a time lag between the the Vx and Vxi? In fact between the Lxi and Vxi. The answers might be interesting!

So with this new Alto the variant with PS wont have any issue also with the non-ps variant the problem should be less than the older VX as the new engine is lighter than the 4 cylinder 1.1 engine
I sincerely hope not! Also, I'm still puzzled by the weights being qouted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I don't know of the VXi, but the original version was a joy to drive. The steering was meaty and with such power, a heavier steering inspired more confidence. Those who remember the first PS versions of the original Zen (too light steering made that nervous on higher speeds) shall understand what I mean.
The problem is not so much lightness as "deadness", a lack of feel. Its a well known fact that power steerings rob feel. And EPSs are notorious for that. But a very heavy steering in a city car? Not a joy for me. And I enjoy driving. (My other car is a OHC VTEC)
Guys, this is not the thread for discussing the handling characteristics of a long dead car. Nor of handling in general. My mistake if I started it.

What I am trying to say is that (in my PoV), the Alto Vx was not fully thought through. Not in terms of price/ positioning/ marketing. Not in terms of chassis engineering. The Lx had it all almost spot on (given its price/ positioning). The Vx was all muddled (non)thinking. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself. That will be a real tragedy. Not just for the particular model, but for the concept of the hot hatch in India (the Polo 1.6 notwithstanding). We might forever be stuck with the hatch equivalent of the CD100.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th July 2010, 21:22   #282
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why Maruti took some time to launch the PS variants, maybe they had no plans for PS initially to keep costs low but then launched with PS to counter Santro Zip which was nothing but a Santro with a PS.

Coming back to your topic, The VX/VXi as a product was great (My father had one for 7 years so I know) wrong placement in market quite possible.

Do you know that the bare bone non-ps LX version used to sell for roughly 3.4/3.5 lakh when it was launched? So even the LX wasnt really cheap. IT started selling more only when they stopped VXi & priced it lower.

The difference in quality of the original Alto & the price cut one could be seen if you compared carefully.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th July 2010 at 23:43.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:27   #283
Senior - BHPian

I guess the front grill is borrowed from the Baleno, it reminds me of that.
Nice relief to see the headlamps changed. Good that Maruti dint decide just to put the new engine.
On other hand the upgrade of the headlights means there is going to be some premium to be placed for this product.
Its still named as Alto in Indonesia, funny how Suzuki has managed to keep different names in different markets for same product.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:37   #284
Senior - BHPian

^^^
You must give us conspiracy theorists a fair chance!

Actually, it would be educative if someone could post (in a separate thread) the timeline (variants/ prices) of the Alto. And in relation to its competitors.

Regards
Sutripta

OOPS. This was in reply to Techs post, not X'amazons.

Last edited by Sutripta : 29th July 2010 at 21:38.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:00   #285
BANNED

Maruti Alto is a car people on budget buy .The 800cc alto sold only because of this .Do any of us remember the Alto Vxi sales figure . Alto handling is nowhere near the Old Zen's .The only issue Zen had which i see druing extremely sharp sudden turn and foot on the brakes the rear slides out .The Zens engine sat so much lower while the new K series are so much higher sitting .Also Alto itself is taller than Zen .

Another point i would specifically like to mention with so many altos who would buy another one in the normal customer base for the engine alone when spending bit much you get a much more spacious car like Estilo , Santro etc.

Another point 3 cylinder is never as much fun as a 4 cylinder motors can be.
Just my take .
With 3.5 lakh .I would better buy a old Zen plonk in a Esteem motor and i will be good to rip the soul of most cars on road.But that's just me .

My dream relaunch the Zen with 1.6Ltr Motor or 1.3 Ltr for about 5 Lk and i will buy my delight.

Regards

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 29th July 2010 at 22:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks