Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2010, 00:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

A very interesting thread. I think a Lifestyle vehicle could be a sum culmination of most of the thought processes here and yet leave something to be desired still. In my view a life style vehicle is an off shoot of your personality as you perceive yourself. It could be anything as long as it sort of reflects your soul.
Old 29th May 2010, 08:29   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
When I bougt my Punto, somebody told me that I was buying a "small" car for hell lot of money and it was a unwise decision. That person even went on to tell me that Swift Dzire Lxi was available for one Lakh rupees less than the Punto and it would give me a higher status being a 3-box car. So tomorrow if I would buy a Diesel Nano for my office commute, people would say I have bought Nano just because its cheap, and since I could not afford to buy a Swift Vdi. So "nobody" in India would like to take this chance especially when it comes to status symbol.
How can you say nobody when lots of people including you have done that? I have never bought vehicles/items based on what other people think.

I downgraded from an Acura 3.2TL (225HP luxury car) to a Santro (63HP hatch) and it was our only car for more than a year. Then I bought the Baleno because highway drives were getting painful. When I moved to coastal area, I wanted to change to a high GC vehicle. Guess what was my first choice, the Gama. Can you think what kind of status is attached to that? Check out the review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...trax-gama.html (The very first Team-BHP Test Drive of Force Motor's Trax Gama)
Old 29th May 2010, 08:50   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
.... It is us who make it, by the way we use it. ..
I share the same views on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Dumb question: Do you think all the OTR people in the various cities of India consider their Gypsys, CJs, MM5xxs etc. to be LSVs? I wonder if khan_sultan considers his super-modded Gypsy to be an LSV (khan_sultan, please respond...)
I think most off-roaders do consider their machines to be lifestyle vehicles. It is through that machine they are able to live the life they want over weekends.

For me, my Gypsy is my ultimate lifestyle vehicle -- allows me to do whatever I want over the weekends. take me over rocks, through the wilderness, deep slush pits and also can travel medium range distances without trouble for my fun.

So, for me, it's a vehicle that allows me to live the life I want over the weekends/holidays.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th May 2010 at 09:04.
Old 29th May 2010, 08:56   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Lifestyle vehicle : A personal means of transport which can get you to work and back home. Also fulfill your family needs.
But the definition of a Lifestyle vehicle is a bit skewed in India.
Precisely why this thread came into existence.

Quote:
...the well to do would never buy a Tata Nano for use in Cities.
You would be surprised how many actually do, as a form of reverse snobbery.

Quote:
...I bougt my Punto...
...Swift Dzire Lxi was available for one Lakh rupees less than the Punto and it would give me a higher status being a 3-box car.
...buy a Diesel Nano for my office commute, people would say I have bought Nano just because its cheap...
The Punto is a continuation of the market that was opened up by the Swift. And the DZire came into being only because people in India still base their car buying decision on whether there is a boot or not. However, it is not the ONLY criterion - if it were, the Logan would have been a runaway hit, which it isn't.

Quote:
So "nobody" in India would like to take this chance especially when it comes to status symbol.
In India cars are more of 'social style" then lifestyle.
There you are... You've managed to highlight the importance of the Category 1 LSV (sLSV) which I tried to define in my previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have never bought vehicles/items based on what other people think.
...my first choice, the Gama. Can you think what kind of status is attached to that?
...and Samurai, you on the other hand are highlighting the importance of the Category 2 LSV (pLSV).
Old 29th May 2010, 12:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Or maybe even the Reva? A good conversation-maker at a party or over coffee? I'm green, you know.

Let's hear what exactly you mean by a lifestyle vehicle. And what cars in India would be considered lifestyle vehicles.
Considering what is being sold in India:

My Choices would be:

1. Rolls Royce
2. Nissan 370Z
3. Toyota LandCruiser v8 ( wish I can change it to G wagon)
4. Man truck converted to a camper.

Lifestyle vehicle, is very difficult to explain - I guess the vehicles one can't own is a lifestyle vehicle.

For eg: Maybach or RR might be lifestyle vehicle for me but not for Ambani or Burman who drive them on regular basis.

Lifestyle products are meant to be rare. If they would become common then they lose their meaning. They are different for different people depending on the KNOWLEDGE and from where they are having their perspective.

PS: I am sorry have not read entire thread and my reply is just based on the Thread starter Post.
Old 29th May 2010, 13:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...the two broadest categories that come up would be -

Category 1: The Stylish / Status Lifestyle Vehicle (sLSV)
and
Category 2: The Practical Lifestyle Vehicle (pLSV).

Do we agree on this? Your inputs please.
I am tending to agree with this, if a categorization has to be made.

Ideally, I would rather have the owner and the usage of the vehicle define the lifestyle. After all, lifestyle is how a person lives. It is impossible to have static definitions there. Samurai's GV is a LSV in its unique sense, and would be different from another person's GV.

But going by my logic, categorization itself is a crime. Then it would be impossible to have any analysis around the vehicle. Thus I think your categarozation is just, and crystallizes the discussion so far.

Just thinking aloud whether a model can be both - sLSV and pLSV at the same time. Any pLSV priced 15L+ would automatically become a sLSV because of affordability. But I doubt whether any manufacturer will seriously think of making a sLSV into a pSLV also (in India). Buyers who base decisions based on status, will they ever take their sLSV to, for instance, OTR?
Old 29th May 2010, 19:54   #67
BANNED

IMO any vehicle unique and modified to your need would be so called Lifestyle vehicle. not necessary that it should be a costly or luxury brand
Old 30th May 2010, 22:36   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think most off-roaders do consider their machines to be lifestyle vehicles.
For me, my Gypsy is my ultimate lifestyle vehicle -- allows me to do whatever I want over the weekends.
Thank you for clarifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I think a Lifestyle vehicle could be a sum culmination of most of the thought processes here and yet leave something to be desired still. In my view a life style vehicle is an off shoot of your personality as you perceive yourself. It could be anything as long as it sort of reflects your soul.
Does a car really reflect your soul? I am inclined to believe that an LSV is either a reflection of your assumed personality (what I have been calling the sLSV), or an extension of the real life (the pLSV) you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
My Choices would be:

1. Rolls Royce
2. Nissan 370Z
3. Toyota LandCruiser v8 ( wish I can change it to G wagon)
4. Man truck converted to a camper.

Lifestyle vehicle, is very difficult to explain - I guess the vehicles one can't own is a lifestyle vehicle.

For eg: Maybach or RR might be lifestyle vehicle for me but not for Ambani or Burman who drive them on regular basis.

Lifestyle products are meant to be rare. If they would become common then they lose their meaning. They are different for different people depending on the KNOWLEDGE and from where they are having their perspective.

PS: I am sorry have not read entire thread and my reply is just based on the Thread starter Post.
So there we are. rhandle is looking for the unique, expensive and head-turning sLSV. But isn't your own Gurkha a pLSV? Where would you like to classify that vehicle? As an LSV or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I am tending to agree with this, if a categorization has to be made.

Just thinking aloud whether a model can be both - sLSV and pLSV at the same time. Any pLSV priced 15L+ would automatically become a sLSV because of affordability. But I doubt whether any manufacturer will seriously think of making a sLSV into a pSLV also (in India). Buyers who base decisions based on status, will they ever take their sLSV to, for instance, OTR?
I would think those who can afford to take a Fortuner or Endy off-roading, do - for them, it's a pLSV. For others, the same car would be an sLSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
IMO any vehicle unique and modified to your need would be so called Lifestyle vehicle. not necessary that it should be a costly or luxury brand
We have a repeat definition of the pLSV.

Based on the inputs that we've received till now, let's see if I can put together a working classification of lifestyle vehicles as they are perceived in India. All are welcome to suggest modifications and / or nominate / delete vehicles in each category.

Category 1: The Style- / Status- Oriented Lifestyle Vehicle (sLSV)
(This category of vehicles will be listed according to class, and not according to purpose, since the owner usually does not use the vehicle as either as a workhorse or for leisure travel. The car tells the world who the owner is.)

1.1: The Smart Hatch (nominations: Swift, Beat, Polo, Punto, Nano <maybe>)
  • (This is probably the most favoured LSV category. The Swift projects a boy-racer image, the Beat impresses with its funky looks, the Polo/Punto boasts German/Ferrari heritage, amd the Nano - reverse snobbery?)
1.2: The Style Sedan (nominations: City, Linea, SX4, Fiesta 1.6)
  • (The lower end sedans come here. The H-badge has the biggest boast value, the Linea again is about Italian traditions. Fiesta/SX4 have the boy-racer image to go.)
1.3: The Style Sedan+ (nominations: Laura / Skoda, Civic / Accord, Corolla / Camry)
  • A highly brand-sensitive segment, where the big 3 - Honda, Toyota and Skoda - rule. Not sure whether VW breaks in as an sLSV yet. Pretenders like the Sonata got blown away, and the few buyers who own them never looked at them as LSVs.)
1.4: The Big Brand Sedan (nominations: any Merc, BMW, Audi)
  • (Short of standing on a podium in the middle of the marketplace, loud-hailer in hand, and shouting I've arrived. I'm big, this is the vehicle to convey that statement to the world. And if it's driven by a uniformed chauffeur with a peaked white cap, well...)
1.5: The SUV (nominations: Safari, Scorpio, Xenon, Getaway)
  • (More metal for my money - so I rule the road. Give way to the boss - I don't say please.)
1.6: The SUV+ (nominations: Endy, Fortuner, Outlander, Pajero, Montero, XC90, Cayenne)
  • (Off-road capable but never seen mud or rocks. I want you to believe that I do go off-roading, but in reality I'm actually telling you that I am rich enough to afford this stuff. And the chauffeur too.)
1.7: The Modded Cool 'n' Hot-rod
  • (No nominations here - the possibilities are endless. FFE, LEDs, alloys, tyres, ICE that shatters glass, window tints, stickers - anything that says "Hey, I'm cooool...".)
1.8: The Exotic and Unique Style Statement (nominations: Bentley, Rolls, Lamborghini, Ferrari)
  • (My car can outrun your jetplane while I have more comforts in my car than you can in your bedroom. Fast, luxurious and more expensive than a lot of bungalows, these sLSVs are good for that midnight run from Mumbai to Pune in 1 hour, luck permitting - but usually stick to the speed limit or are confined to a garage until someone apart from the owner needs to see them.)
(Coming up tomorrow: Category 2: The Practical Lifestyle Vehicle (pLSV))

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th May 2010 at 22:41.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Interesting discussion. Can THAR be positioned as life style vehicle? If yes, why? If not why?
Old 30th May 2010, 22:52   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Interesting discussion. Can THAR be positioned as life style vehicle? If yes, why? If not why?
Oh yes - the Thar. I'm considering it as a pLSV in the form it plans to be sold. There are of course, limitless possibilities to turn it into a Category 1.7 sLSV.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

A Lifestyle Vehicle need not be expensive IMHO.
I am into motorcycle touring,i hardly\dont ride her within city.
The moment i mount saddle\tank bags,and put on my riding gear and head out to the himalayas,my humble 80K Karizma becomes my lifestyle vehicle.
The R1 you see in my profile was owned by a cousin,its one heck of a show off vehicle( i wont call it a lifestlye vehicle),and has almost zero practicality on indian roads and weather conditions,ride it in summers,and its gonna make a tandoori chicken out of you.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 30th May 2010 at 23:12.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:30   #72
BHPian

Lifestyle objects would fit this description for me:
1. Something that (usually) comes at a much higher price tag than comparable performance competition.
2. For the price, one gets an object that is styled in detail in exterior (looks etc), sometimes at the cost of utility/performance.
3. The performance may or may not be better (or worse) than specialty competition. Alternately, pepped-up superior performance may be on offer with utter disregard to economy.
4. Some regular use (aam admi) feature may be sacrificed in order to give it an exclusive air (2-seaters? sports convertibles? wall hanging, futuristic looking CD players with built-in and awful sounding speakers?...)

So, considering this, what might one consider a lifestyle object?
Yachts. Sports cars (especially in India, where their utility is what again?) or super luxury cars like RR.
SUVs etc...borderlines since they're built with an emphasis to maximise their performance in all terrains, but yes, for a person who keeps an SUV for off-roading as an addition to his daily office commute, it could be a lifestyle vehicle. Scorpios with yellow number plates? Hmmm...
Modded cars, yes. A lifestyle thing to do. Or is passion/hobby out of lifestyle gambit? Dunno.

Otherwise, my pick of lifestyle vehicles rolled out of factory here in India (not in any particular order):
Zen 2-seater (remember the ad 'single and loving it?'). Don't know if it sold much.
Chevrolet SR-V. Stunning looks, soso performance, meager sales.
Yamaha 350. A beast that screams for a taming. FE-who cares?
The Bullet. The one even trains make way for. Heart-beat resembling thump of engine? Oh yes.
Reva. This one gets slammed in the looks department but environment and uber cool electric running etc...definitely lifestyle.

There could be more but these are what come to mind off hand.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Guys,
If you have a Thar and all that you do with it is commute from one point to other and wherever without feeling connected to the car in any-which-way, then it is not a lifestyle vehicle.

I would consider a Lifestyle vehicle to be a vehicle where the owners thinks of the vehicle as an extension of his identity or something he desires.

So if all that you want is a mean machine and love the thrill of an offroading vehicle, or the wind in your hair and appreciate it. Then what you have is a lifestyle vehicle.

IMHO.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:02   #74
BHPian

IMHO: A lifestyle vehicle is an adverb to get from Point A to Point B, which can also include all of the following verbs.

1. How fast can it go from Point A to Point B?
2. How comfortable is it while going from Point A to Point B?
3. How unique is it in the distance between Point A to Point B? So that I don't spot another one ever.
4. Does it solve the purpose of going from Point A to Point B? Terrain, Drivebility, etc

I've got three vehicles for different reasons that I believe solve the lifestytle point in a day to day scenario. Like saying, "I am what I drive"

Skoda Laura: Highway driving + good diesel efficiency + tough performance.
Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4: Going onsite on rigid terrain + Bulk/People carrier + Family workhorse.
Fiat Linea: City driving + liesure outtakes.

Although I don't own unique vehicles but I believe my way of living (LifeStyle) is best personified by the vehicles I currently own.

Last edited by inreverse : 31st May 2010 at 16:04.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

SS for me soul = perceived personality while what we actually turn out to be = extension of real life. For me a vehicle is not a life style vehicle if it is dictated by how you are forced to live by the circumstances rather as HOW YOU WANT TO LIVE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks