Team-BHP - BS-III implementation postponed by 6 months
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BS-III implementation postponed by 6 months (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/82098-bs-iii-implementation-postponed-6-months.html)

Just came across this article in ET which states that the BS-III implementation has been pushed back by 6 months to 1st October due to inability of the oil companies. Also the list of 11 cities moving to BS-IV has been increased to 13 cities including Lucknow and Sholapur.
BS-III implementation from October-Policy-Economy-News-The Economic Times

BSIII implemention?

Aren't we now pushing for BS4 really confusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadf00t (Post 1901742)
BSIII implemention?

Aren't we now pushing for BS4 really confusing.

11 cities moved to BS-IV on 1st April 2010and the rest of the country was supposed to move to BS-III from BS-II.

Now looks like the deadline has moved by 6 months.

Seems like they have only mentioned about the cities which are moving from BSII to BSIII. For the cities moving to BSIV the deadline is still April 1 (except for 2 new cities).

Just to clarify : The larger metros have already moved on to BSIV; this news item applies to the rest of the country that was slated to move from BS-II to BS-III.

@ Milecruncher : The main reason seems to be oil companies not being ready yet. Problem is, running a BS-IV car on BS-II (lower octane) fuel will undoubtedly cause knocking & lack in performance.

I fail to understand why the government cannot adopt one emission standard for the entire country. Easier to understand, simpler to implement, better for everyone. 90% of the cars sold in our market are now BS-IV anyways!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1903505)
Just to clarify : The larger metros have already moved on to BSIV; this news item applies to the rest of the country that was slated to move from BS-II to BS-III.

True. But with this notification the Govt has added 2 more cities, but its not clear whether they move to BS-IV with retrospective effect from 1st April or 1st Oct
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1903505)
@ Milecruncher : The main reason seems to be oil companies not being ready yet. Problem is, running a BS-IV car on BS-II (lower octane) fuel will undoubtedly cause knocking & lack in performance.

I fail to understand why the government cannot adopt one emission standard for the entire country. Easier to understand, simpler to implement, better for everyone. 90% of the cars sold in our market are now BS-IV anyways!

I understand this move has been more because of pressure from SIAM than Oil Marketing Companies. Case in point being Mahindra Major. Saw a fleet of them heading towards the Karwar dealer. If BS-III was implemented, Major would have been phased, but doesn't seem to be the case. Especially with Pawan Goenka as the SIAM president.

Two points. BS4 is in in 13 cities - of course the car cos are busy using the loophole that you can register a BS3 car manufactured on or before 31 March in these cities.

I heard that the Oil PSU were crying that they cannot supply BS 3 fuel so will try to bring it in in phases by October. I also saw a news reposrt, that the Govt. is only giving time time 31 May and BS3 fuel must come in across the country by then.

One point we know Premium is not really Premium (has to be 95 RON in both BS3 and 4). My question is whether it even conforms to the BS3 and BS4 norms or is it still BS2 Premium (93RON, high sulphur, Benzene, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1904097)
BS4 is in in 13 cities

It's 12 cities and the National Capital Region which is about the size of a small state and has many cities, if they can be called that!

Quote:

I heard that the Oil PSU were crying that they cannot supply BS 3 fuel so will try to bring it in in phases by October. I also saw a news reposrt, that the Govt. is only giving time time 31 May and BS3 fuel must come in across the country by then.

What I find interesting is that the oil PSUs can supply BS 4 fuel which is more complex to produce but not BS 3. Are they simply importing BS 4 fuels?

Quote:

One point we know Premium is not really Premium (has to be 95 RON in both BS3 and 4).

You mean the more expsensive fuel is actually inferior to ordinary fuel? Could you kindly point to the source of this info?

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 1904160)
What I find interesting is that the oil PSUs can supply BS 4 fuel which is more complex to produce but not BS 3. Are they simply importing BS 4 fuels?

The OMCs were able to supply BS3 fuel in small quantities. But with the whole country moving to BS3, they need to upgrade all their refineries which there are not able to do due to capex constraints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1904181)
The OMCs were able to supply BS3 fuel in small quantities. But with the whole country moving to BS3, they need to upgrade all their refineries which there are not able to do due to capex constraints.

Time frame for transition to BS 3 & 4 standard has been known for a decade. It's a case of shoddy planning.

Interestingly, while most of the country's car sales take place in what is now BS 4 territory, 90% of the country's CV sales take place in BS 3 areas which is why Indian CV manufacturers haven't bothered to introduce BS 4 compliant diesel CVs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 1904235)
Time frame for transition to BS 3 & 4 standard has been known for a decade. It's a case of shoddy planning.

Shoddy Planning, Yes! But you can't blame the OMCs too much as well as they are under heavy debt due to under recovery on Fuels for the last 3-4 years.