Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 11:02   #106
BHPian

Hi,

By the concept of 'Child Parts', does that mean ford cars are no more costly to maintain after-buy?

My friend had a 1.8Nxt and he always scared me away from the thouight of getting one for myself telling it after sales maintainance is too high.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:04   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic work there GTO.

It was for sure watching the Mega Factories on Nat Geo.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:47   #108
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
Hi,

By the concept of 'Child Parts', does that mean ford cars are no more costly to maintain after-buy?

My friend had a 1.8Nxt and he always scared me away from the thouight of getting one for myself telling it after sales maintainance is too high.
The whole idea of this "Child Parts" is to keep the maintenance & replacement costs down. I am not sure how much it works in Ford, as when i asked for a rubber back cover for my Fusion Head lights (the rubber cap that goes at the rear of the head lights to prevent dust going into the headlight assembly), i was asked to buy the whole headlight assembly.

The "Child Parts" concepts works in Toyota as i had replaced the right RVM's outer cover when it was knocked off by a speeding indica. It cost me around Rs. 950/-, including painting.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Thread

Excellent Thread. This is exclusive on TBHP, I guess.

Rated 5 stars.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:29   #110
BHPian

Excellent Job GTO - The thread is WOW !
And my many thanks to Ford for making us all aware of what goes on in making a FORD...
Old 24th May 2010, 13:57   #111
BHPian

Super thread by GTO. I say! (in true chennai lingo) whistle podu for GTO for sharing those fantabulous pictures.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:02   #112
BHPian

This has been beautifully compiled GTO! Kudos.....

Only time I got a chance to peek in was through the Mega factories show on Discovery....

There they had shown the mega factories of Lamborgini, Rolls Royce and the Audi R8... Since these cars are not mass produced they had a very clean roll out stages and they manufactured very limited set of wheels everyday...

Cheers...
Old 24th May 2010, 14:19   #113
BHPian

Woah - I saw this thread late. That was an awesome set of PICS.

I took the tour in 2008 and was amazed. I always wanted to see a car factory in my life and was excited as ever. But no cameras were allowed. And no access to the paint shop. I see from the pics that you didnt get inside there as well. I did however see a video.

All in all, I'm glad Ford is opening up. And it being in Chennai is very very exciting.

Boneham is doing all the right things. And all the people under him.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:22   #114
BHPian

good to see these pics and i am proud to say that this is what i do for a living. that is designing the Semi automatic and fully automatic body engineering lines for the likes of Indian, European and American auto giants.

here's a link to the citroen site which gives an animated glimpse of the whole line and i have actual line videos of many cars and SUV's that i got from Germany and we practically work on the design and on the floor for all these models ( Including all FORD india programs )

PSA Peugeot Citroën - Virtual visit

on the same topic i am visiting germany in next month to attend AUTOMATICA an Auto industry premium show attracting global players.

will post the pics after my return.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

What is so secretive about the paint shop that cameras are not allowed there? I have seen the paint shop in the A.S.S and it was fairly high tech and I guess the one at the factory can't be too different. The only difference I can think of is that robots would be used at the factory.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Ford takes safety very very seriously. It is not required to wear safety helmets and googles everywhere in the plant - it is required only in specific areas. What is insisted on though are safety boots to enter the plant. T-shirts/half shirts in sky blue and navy blue pants are the uniform for shop floor personnel and every one wears that. As for noise, not really - almost all areas of the plant are not noisy - you can hold a normal conversation in most areas as the ambient noise level is not that high.
Great writeup. Was totally amazed to see that we are on par to the manufacturing facilities they show of foreign automobile manufacturers on Discovery Channel
Old 24th May 2010, 14:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work GTO Personally I have been to Mahindra's Tractor assembly around a decade back (although it is quite different than what is shown here).

Any chance of getting into a German warehouse?
Old 24th May 2010, 14:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report and pictures GTO. Its nice to know that manufacturers in India are finally getting all the infrastructure they need for automobile production, right from a hi-tech manufacturing plant to different kinds of test tracks. Those fresh new cars look so tempting.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:56   #119
BHPian

Awesome report GTO.
I believe this is the first (complete) factory-visit, on TBhp. Kudos, Kudos, Kudos.

Get us inside M&M phlease (nope not inside those candies)
Old 24th May 2010, 15:09   #120
BHPian

This is amazing - thank you for this wonderful thread, GTO. I hope you will make this a regular feature by visiting all the manufacturer facilities.

Most Viewed