Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:57   #181
BHPian

Great Scoop Sid....
Well looks like I really missed lot of things since I joined the forum about couple of weeks back....(2 week vacation after my new acquisition)...
The car looks nice....should be good for city drives....
....More confusion to the already confusion hatch buyers....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:59   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But are not Nissan manufacturing Micras here for Indian market and export? Are we really getting an inferior version on sale here?

I think too much is made of "Indian conditions" as if it is an acceptable excuse for manufacturers to offer less. I do not believe that it is.
Im not sure about the Micras case though but every car manufactured in India (read Marutis, Hyundais and others) for exports are of better quality than their Indian counterparts in some aspects.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

I got to see this thread today only. Nice scoop, Sid!

However, I was disappointed with the looks---both of the exterior and interior. Perhaps I had high expectations after travelling in the US on the Maxima and Altima.

After seeing the pics here, I find the looks of the Estillo and the A-Star more digestible.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:24   #184
BHPian

@ vnabhi with you here , i simply dont know why people would opt for this vehicle, i think may be its the snob value that one may want to link with the nissan brand itself rather the product. The non indian micra looks much cute and attractive.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:30   #185
BHPian

I checked out Micra yesterday. It seems to be a very good package. In the flash the car looks very promising. When I first saw the pics, I had my reservations about quality of interiors particularly silvers inserts in the dashboard. But when I saw it in person I must say that it looks very classy. It has all the features that are becoming a norm in Premium Hatch segment. You dont feel that you are missing out on anything when you buy this car.

They were not providing any test drives at present. But I was allowed to start the car in the Showroom. I must say that the engine noise was very subdued in the cabin. So they seem to have provided good insulation for a 3 pot engine. But the same can not be said about vibrations. You could easily say that its a 3 pot engine by vibrations in the car at idling. The sales guy told me that this was the pre production car and the vibrations are due to that reason. Let us wait and watch for GTO's review.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:21   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I checked out Micra yesterday. It seems to be a very good package. In the flash the car looks very promising. When I first saw the pics, I had my reservations about quality of interiors particularly silvers inserts in the dashboard. But when I saw it in person I must say that it looks very classy. It has all the features that are becoming a norm in Premium Hatch segment. You dont feel that you are missing out on anything when you buy this car.

They were not providing any test drives at present. But I was allowed to start the car in the Showroom. I must say that the engine noise was very subdued in the cabin. So they seem to have provided good insulation for a 3 pot engine. But the same can not be said about vibrations. You could easily say that its a 3 pot engine by vibrations in the car at idling. The sales guy told me that this was the pre production car and the vibrations are due to that reason. Let us wait and watch for GTO's review.
checked out the micra today. top end white micra on display. No test drives, SM said that the test drive vehicle would be availbe from the 16th of Jun onwards.
The photographs do not do justice to the car and in flesh it has a "cute"(for lack of a better word)look.
started the car in the showroom, aircon is a chiller. started doing its job immediately. noise levels as mentioned were almost negligible in the car, i second rutvij's view on the quality of sound insulation materials. i didnt feel the vibrations though. I do reckon the SM had some knowledge about the product he was selling.
the overall effect of the lighting on the console is eyecatching and enhances the bubble effect the car strives to acheive. The speedo has white backlit numbers and a red baclit needle. fairly easy to read.
Wasnt able to test the music system to the fullest as only FM was available and the signals werent that great at the showroom(hope this is not a standard on all the micras - poor reception).
The grey beige interiors make the cabin feel roomy. Overall interor quality of the materials was quite good and the plastics were of decent quality given the segment in discussion. Felt that the handles of the door seemed a tad bit flimsy(personal opinion). The seats upfront provide adequate underthigh support, though the cushioning felt a little on the softer side. Lumbar support was insufficient to say the least. The steering adjusted for tilt only, but i found a comfortable driving position rather easily(a lot easier that a punto for instance). space in the car was really good. I'm 6'2" and after finding that comfortable riding position there was ample space at the back to seat another 6 footer(didnt need to push the driver seat all the way back).Rear seat is quite comfortable and the rear bench is reclined sufficiently to enjoy long rides
Boot space is just about decent.
Overall the car hides its space rather well from the outside. Its design and shape are topics of debate, but a personal taste all the same.
Will wait for complete write up from the boss - GTO.
Cheers and safe driving.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:09   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbly View Post
I'm 6'2" and after finding that comfortable riding position there was ample space at the back to seat another 6 footer(didnt need to push the driver seat all the way back).Rear seat is quite comfortable and the rear bench is reclined sufficiently to enjoy long rides.
Thanks for sharing the feedback. I am not too sure about what you said about the rear legroom. From what I could see in the pictures, the interiors seemed quite cramped. If it has "ample" room for a six footer right behind someone who is 6'2", then the Micra would have to be as spacious as the Vista, which is highly unlikely.

Also, Micra (the name) would then become a misnomer .
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:25   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Well said!

I don't think that this is intended as a car to regularly fill to capacity. There are seldom more than two people in my car, and regularly just one. On those rare occasions that there are four, some discomfort is acceptable.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:43   #189
BHPian

Yes, as most of you have already pointed out, its a "love it" or "hate it" design, more probably tending towards the latter (me included).
But who knows if the looks will slowly grow on us the Indian customers. Personally I was not a fan of the Swift's design initially, but things have changed now
Hope Nissan ramps up their dealer network to support this launch.
I just love the scenario now of how much a new hatchback-seeker in the market is confused about which car to chose and what all to compromise in getting to the right one
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:13   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for sharing the feedback. I am not too sure about what you said about the rear legroom. From what I could see in the pictures, the interiors seemed quite cramped. If it has "ample" room for a six footer right behind someone who is 6'2", then the Micra would have to be as spacious as the Vista, which is highly unlikely.

It is not as spacious as the Vista but you need to check it out in person to believe how big it actually is. I see you are in Kingston, in which case you need to wait till September-October to check it out
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:19   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

Hey amartaya, agree on ur viewpoint about the vista. the micra isnt as spacious as a vista per se, however to find a comfortable driving position i didnt have to push the drivers seat all the way back, (unlike the punto in which i did have to push it all the way back that would make the punto a 3 seater with me driving).in this comfortable drivingposition the rear seat offers ample space.
I have an indica vista and space in that car is indeed voluminous.
the pics of the micra does not do justice to the package it provides. i would suggest take look at it in flesh, it tends to grow on u.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:17   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Is anyone able to comment on comparison between Micra and Polo?

I haven't seen either in the flesh yet, but my feeling is that, for a car to keep for ten years, the Polo might be a better bet.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:32   #193
BHPian

Sid did it again ! nice one!

Hatch market is promising more bang for the buck with every new release from non Maruti stables!

Waiting to see market reaction!
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:47   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is anyone able to comment on comparison between Micra and Polo?

I haven't seen either in the flesh yet, but my feeling is that, for a car to keep for ten years, the Polo might be a better bet.
Don't underestimate Micra's build quality. I happen to check out both cars one after another as their showroom's are stones throw away from each other.

Personally I was quite impressed with Micra than Polo. I am 6.00' tall and I was having trouble with head room in both front and back seats of Polo. I also didn't like beam like structure in the floor of the back side of Polo effectively making it a 4 passenger car. Engine of the Polo was also very noisy. Further equipment levels in Polo are also not something to write about.

On the contrary Micra had everything that one can ask for in a small car. You dont have to compromise on anything if you go for this car. Climate Control, Fully Automatic adjustable and foldable outside rear view mirrors, key less entry and so on... And the best thing is its price. As per dealer its top model will retail at about 6 lakhs on road.

Last edited by rutvij : 3rd June 2010 at 15:49.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:52   #195

Was planning for a Hatchback, now the Nissa Micra up for Grabs, getting even more confused as to which car to buy now :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks