Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 08:46   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another thing: if the door locks as we walk away from it, then we will never again be able to reassure ourselves that it is locked by trying it, because it will unlock as we walk back. Like trying to show that the light in the fridge actually does go off when the door is closed!
Nice comparison to refrigerator However, I assume this is one of the first thing that the designer of this system would consider. There would be some way to force lock the car. However, then you will have to find the key! Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too

- Prasad.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:20   #317
BHPian

Saw the Micra in person yesterday and honestly it looks much much better in real than in pictures. You need to actually see it. It looks quite cool and is big to the size of may be i20. Keep aside the push button start, the car looks good, well build and good quality plastics used. the over all finish of the car, I would say is as good as i20. Better than Punto. Rear space is way better than Punto. I sat in a Punto last week on the rear seat and I can hardly find place to keep my legs with front driver seat fully behind. But in Micra, I pushed the drivers seat to the maxmium and still could sit comfortably on the rear seat. (I am 5.11). over all the car is good and better than many hatches in the market.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:39   #318
BHPian

What if someone had driven the vehicle then.. Not that he can take it far, but surely can place is somewhere else, also get into the car and take stuff out.[/quote]

I have used this push button option for quite a long time ( with Nissan Armada and now with my KIA) and some realities..

You can lock and unlock the vehicle if you are near the vehicle but the distance between you and vehicle have to be very less ax up to 5 meters.
You can disable the auto unlock and lock if required and use the manual lock and unlock.
You start the vehicle and then leave the car with keys in your pocket , the engine will still run but the vehicle will start beeping the moment you move away from the car.

Push Button has an advantage over the keys .You will not overcrank to start the engine .
I have had an experience in my swift some time back where I gave the car for valet parking.The Engine was still running but the parking attendent did not realise that and started cranking again.This will never happen in a push button start vehicle.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:07   #319
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, all the silver in the dash looks quite cheap. And the plastics are also quite ordinary for a 5L plus hatch.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:22   #320
Senior - BHPian

Is Renault involved in the project or is it just an Nissan Venture. I mean having invested in the plant, what does Renault get in the end?
Or is the plant going to be used for future Renault launches.

I am asking this question as Renault has now exited Logan technically Renault is then out of Indian market, or am I missing something.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:58   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Honestly, all the silver in the dash looks quite cheap. And the plastics are also quite ordinary for a 5L plus hatch.
It does not look cheap actually and goes very well with the overall dashboard of the car. Plastics are on par with Hyundai if not better. However much better than other other 5 Lac plus hatches like Swift (I drive a swift), Ritz, Punto etc.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:06   #322
BHPian

guess the 'push button start' is there only in the top-end version.
If so, people planning to go for the other variants need not worry about the safety/reliability of this feature.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:47   #323
Team-BHP Support

Just got back from Nissan dealership in Bangalore. I think Micra is probably the best looking hatch in India right now. The photos were very unkind to it.

It is not very compact like Santro or i10. It is in the league of i20, Punto,etc., but much better looking. I was also very impressed with interior space and general fit and finish.

I also got a demo of push start feature on the Teana which works similarly. The car can be push started only if the key is inside the car. I held the key just outside the car, the push start didn't work. Only when the key was brought within the cage (door still open) of the car, the push start worked. So, stop worrying about others running away with the car.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:58   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Is Renault involved in the project or is it just an Nissan Venture. I mean having invested in the plant, what does Renault get in the end?
Or is the plant going to be used for future Renault launches.

I am asking this question as Renault has now exited Logan technically Renault is then out of Indian market, or am I missing something.
Renault also intends to manufacture its cars from there,stating with the Fluence and Koleos.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:39   #325
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th June 2010 at 20:58.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:20   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just got back from Nissan dealership in Bangalore. I think Micra is probably the best looking hatch in India right now. The photos were very unkind to it.

It is not very compact like Santro or i10. It is in the league of i20, Punto,etc., but much better looking. I was also very impressed with interior space and general fit and finish.

I also got a demo of push start feature on the Teana which works similarly. The car can be push started only if the key is inside the car. I held the key just outside the car, the push start didn't work. Only when the key was brought within the cage (door still open) of the car, the push start worked. So, stop worrying about others running away with the car.
Thanks for clearing the air. The system is quite sophisticated then. Good for the consumer.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:46   #327
BHPian

The Micra brochure clearly states "and for an added mesure of security the engine immobilizer prevents anyone without the key from the starting the car". This should clear much concern about the security issue because of the push button start.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:58   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is not (or should not be) so ---

Power steering: system reverts to manual.

Brakes: Work, but, without the servo assistance provided by the engine, you have to push the pedal a lot harder than normal.

You can steer and use your brakes with the engine off and somebody pushing.
If you switch off the engine and press the brake multiple times, it gets jammed as the brakes get their power from engine (power assisted -hydraulic brakes). I guess they work on some pressure which is gained from the engine. Not too sure about it though.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:04   #329
Senior - BHPian

Hi neon,

Power assisted Hydraulic brakes mean - they are just what the name says. One can use the brake when engine is off - the effort is twice as hard - thats all - There is no Jamming of brakes etc.

cheers
Old 16th June 2010, 16:10   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi neon,

Power assisted Hydraulic brakes mean - they are just what the name says. One can use the brake when engine is off - the effort is twice as hard - thats all - There is no Jamming of brakes etc.

cheers
Yeh right. The vacuum leaks out and brakes get hard.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks