Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:39   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with a three-cylinder engine? People post as if it is an attempt to short-change them.

I remember thinking something like that when, a couple of decades ago, my friend turned up in his new five-cylinder Audi coupe --- it was a magnificent car with a great engine.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:58   #347
BHPian

Hey pgsagar, no offense to you, but that is exactly what they want - Retro looks with upto date features They are using the retro design to differentiate themselves in a sea of new launches in the same segment.

The much more expensive Fiat 500 uses the same concept of Retro styling.

Last edited by Xehaust : 22nd June 2010 at 18:59.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:50   #348
BHPian

I received an email from the Nissan Dealer here in Pune, Oxford Nissan.
Car available at showroom for display. Test drive car expected to arrive in July`10. Official price by 14th July`10 as spoken verbally.

Received an email with e-brochure (attached).
Feature wise Nissan did an excellent job IMO, especially the XL version.

The mail as mentioned below :

"Dear Valued Customer,

Announcing the arrival of a much awaited global compact car - All new Nissan MICRA. The all new MICRA is now previewed at the Oxford Nissan showroom and the bookings for the same have started with an overwhelming response.

You are cordially invited for the preview of Nissan MICRA and requested to get along your cheque book for booking of the car.

The booking amount would be Rs. 50000/-. Be among the select few to be the initial proud owners of Nissan MICRA.
The allotment would be based on colour/model wise availability on first come first served basis.

Approximate on-road pricings are :

MICRA XE - 4.65 L
MICRA XL - 5.35 L
MICRA XV - 6.20 L "
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Micra e-brochure.pdf (1.52 MB, 903 views)
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:19   #349
Senior - BHPian

Nissan issued a press release stating their hatchback Micra, which will be launched next month, has found a 1,000 takers merely four weeks after bookings opened. 1049 pre-order bookings were registered, most of them in Delhi with Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Chennai following closely behind.

Read more: Indian Autos Blog | Indian Automobile Blog | India Car News | India Bike News | Test Drives
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:48   #350
BHPian

Car won't stop even if the key is not there

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion / speculation over the Intelligent Key. I dug out some info from Wikipedia and elsewhere.

The Wikipedia entry clearly states that there is a requirement for a mechanical backup in the event of electronic failure.

It also states a new standard was introduced in 2005 requiring the device to be operable only within a distance of 10 cm from the vehicle. And the Micra's key system was found to be the most secure in tests at the time, even as Mercedes-Benz and BMW keys failed!

I guess that should put some of the doubts to rest.

References:
Smart key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Micra's Top Of The Fobs | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
When the attacker drives away with the car, the relay will no longer be active. The car may detect the missing key; however, for safety reasons, the car will not stop, but continue running. Similarly, the car might detect a missing key for several other reasons including if the key battery is
depleted.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:36   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...including if the key battery is depleted.
Prospective Micra buyers: make a mental note to carry a spare battery! When this happens, it is going to happen at exactly the worst moment. Bound to!
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:09   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I always admired Nissan for their cars--- Skyline GTR, 350Z and Pathfinder. But Micra? No offence meant but I expected something better from them. Especially for a mass market, hatches are know for. It doesn't look exciting and ground-breaking in any way. Neither sleek like Polo, nor butch and chunky like Swift. Looks too retro. And 3-cylinder diesel engine? I don't even want to talk about it. With these average looks, they need all the luck there is to make it a hot-seller. Anyway, good luck Nissan.
Absolutely, I am completely with you on this. I like Nissan as a brand, and the kind of cars they make, with the Micra being an exception. When you say that the Micra looks retro, you are right, but this version is the best looking Micra in my opinion (Note, we are only comparing Micras).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is there anything intrinsically wrong with a three-cylinder engine? People post as if it is an attempt to short-change them.
I remember thinking something like that when, a couple of decades ago, my friend turned up in his new five-cylinder Audi coupe --- it was a magnificent car with a great engine.
I have been guilty of the same, that is, I do think that 3-cylinders are intrinsically worse than 4-cylinders. It is about the engine balance and vibrations. Usually, a balancer shaft is used to counter this.

The thing is, for an engine capacity like 1000cc or 1200cc it is perfectly possible to have 4-cylinders, whether one thinks of being shortchanged is personal. I do, not because 3 is less than 4 but because the 4-cylinder engine (everything else being same) with have much better NVH characteristics.

This topic has been discussed on teambhp before, and it's a fantastic thread, take a look. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-engine.html
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:57   #353
Senior - BHPian

I am not aware if its posted earlier or not, but from ACI website I am able to download what ACI calls Micra Brochure.

Source : All-new Nissan Micra feature list | Autocar India

In the above link, go through the article. In the middle of the article there is one link to download the Micra brochure.

I repeat again, I am not aware if this is Nissan's official brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nissan Micra - brochure.pdf (1.52 MB, 668 views)
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:03   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Micra PDF Brochure -->Nissan link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
This topic has been discussed on teambhp before, and it's a fantastic thread, take a look. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-engine.html
Thanks, I shall go that thread and learn
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:30   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
They are using the retro design to differentiate themselves in a sea of new launches in the same segment.

The much more expensive Fiat 500 uses the same concept of Retro styling.
Xehaust, I agree with you. Retro indeed is very different from current crop of cars on our roads today. But unfortunately Indian buyers, to the best of my knowledge, haven't yet developed a taste for retro looking cars. Remember that retro version of Zen with round chrome-rimmed head and taillights? I didn't see more than 2/3 cars on the road, although personally I liked. I even tried to convince an uncle of mine who was buying a Zen at that time to pick up this car but failed. Ok, things might have changed since then and let us hope Nissan joins the league of hatchback champions.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:17   #356
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Today around 10.30 am in Beach Road, Chennai lot of Micra's are seen with media persons. I think there are some test drive and review arranged for media people today.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:34   #357
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the official test drives for the media started last evening. Overdrive has been posting updates on its facebook & twitter pages. Hope GTO is there. Looking forward to the review.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:19   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Yes, the official test drives for the media started last evening. Overdrive has been posting updates on its facebook & twitter pages. Hope GTO is there. Looking forward to the review.
Yeah GTO's review on Polo and Figo rocked so many would look forward to Micra's review.

Any ideas when the delivery of cars would start?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:49   #359
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Yeah GTO's review on Polo and Figo rocked so many would look forward to Micra's review.

Any ideas when the delivery of cars would start?
If GTO is there, then a thorough and neutralised review can be expected.

Chennai has only one dealer and will be a challenging job if more cars are booked.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:13   #360
BHPian

GTO Waiting for your review. Pl give us an update when are you posting it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed