Team-BHP - New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/82241-new-nissan-micra-full-details-specs-edit-launch-14th-july-8.html)

In the zen category, methinks. What is the Nissan sales and service network like in India ?

Good AC is a selling point here!
Quote:

Originally Posted by designersf (Post 1908010)
They are not mere bubbles. The two emboss things on the roof are actually provided to offer stiffness and reduce weight. Moreover, the presence of this feature reduces booming noise that is common with Steel panels. Understand the technical aspect before commenting.

I don't think that is really fair: how many people here are sheet-metal engineers or designers? More to point, outside of this forum, how many prospective buyers would think of that: I wouldn't!

Whatever the technology behind it might be, it is looks that are going to sell the car, not design principles --- and anybody has a right to dislike those looks. Would you buy a car you hated the look of, just because the design principles were all sound?

The bubble look has been a feature of the Micra since the very first model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grules (Post 1908050)
Does the XE really come with a roof antenna, but without a music system?

My Swift did!
Quote:

Originally Posted by modthomas (Post 1908497)
In the zen category, methinks. What is the Nissan sales and service network like in India ?

Almost non-existant. Ten dealers. That is my worry about buying the car.

But, how many VW dealers are there? Even Skoda is not exactly within a few minutes reach of wherever you're likely to be.

Another question: what are the service costs going to be?

I somehow find it very difficult to understand the way some people on this forum think. When Polo was launched most of the forum members liked it. They were like German car well built notwithstanding the 3 Pot engine there, very few service centre. However here in case of Micra they started blasting it saying who will pay 5.6 L for a 3 Pot. if you compare specs of Micra and Polo I think Micra win with fair margin being approx. 50 K less priced (if the prices given are correct). We need to give Nissan a fair chance without coming to conclusion. Waiting for GTO's report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 1908579)

Almost non-existant. Ten dealers. That is my worry about buying the car.

But, how many VW dealers are there? Even Skoda is not exactly within a few minutes reach of wherever you're likely to be.

Another question: what are the service costs going to be?

agree: Precisely. These are the issues that finally pushed me over the edge into choosing a more expensive i20 over the Figo. VW, Skoda and now Nissan are waaay behind the drag curve in the dealerships stakes. Playing the chicken and egg game of potential sales volumes justifying early dealership network expansion takes financial guts which I'm not sure is around in these recession hit days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by designersf (Post 1908010)
They are not mere bubbles. The two emboss things on the roof are actually provided to offer stiffness and reduce weight. Moreover, the presence of this feature reduces booming noise that is common with Steel panels. Understand the technical aspect before commenting.

In that sense you are trying to suggest everyother car manufacturer (except maruti for its WagonR) has been fool so far by not introducing this feature on the roof. Amazed to know that fact. IMO its more a cost cutting measure don't need to tell where from.

In Bangalore, Rs. 9500 is shown as handling charges for Micra which looks like a daylight robbery:mad:. Is this cost included in quotes given in other states also?

For me the absence of the CVT option at launch is a deal breaker. I know that the market for ATs in India is small but it is growing each year as people realize the benefits. Also, the launch of an automatic variant lends prestige to the entire range and in the case of the Micra, the CVT would have added to the differentiation.

I was waiting for the Micra launch before I finalized my choice of an hatchback automatic - and now its clear that they are not launching the CVT version at least this year, its going to be the i10 Sportz AT for me.

Hey guys!

Anybody, did you get a chance to have a look at the MICRA.

I had a chance to visit the Nissan Showroom at Mathura Road, New Delhi.

There it was, the MICRA, standing tall and screaming-TAKE NOTE, INDIA, I AM HERE.

Its a pretty good (rounded or curved, whatever you may like to call it) shape, particularly the rear, which gives an impression as if the design team has tried to ape an ape.

Its very spacious for its category, even a person who is tall ( I am 6 feet 1incher) can very easily get into and out of the car.

Its also very spacious at the back seat, but one thing seems to be common among all Japs, the headroom. Its a privilege to have in a car of this category.

Its all black on the inside, with a little bit cramped inside, more particularly, the instrument cluster was not that impressive, but the overall package is good at about 4.2 lacs (ex-s, dli) for the base model.

But the quality overall is fairly good.

It seems that the day of consumer has arrived in India, with a slew of quality products being made available, that we can safely call VALUE FOR MONEY.

Gone are the days when we had to shell out foreign currency for getting a crappy scooter (BAJAJ CHETAK) that too after waiting for 6 to 12 months.

JAI HO.

Me too waiting for the review of this car!

Regarding BAJAJ CHETAK: My view is, that was the best & sturdy model available at that time in 2-wheeler market (excluding bullets, yezdi etc). The whole India used to move on these BAJAJ scooters.

New Nissan Micra-full details, specs, features and pics
New Nissan Micra 1.2 petrol

On Sale Date: July 1st week.

variants:
Expected prices ex showroom Delhi:Specifications:

Engine:Transmission:Steering:Turning radius:Suspension:Brakes:Wheels and tyres:Dimensions/Weights:Capacities:ARAI certified fuel economy: 18.06 kmpl

Key equipment levels:

exterior: Interior:Comfort and Convenience:Safety:*with an intelligent key fob in your pocket, you ca start the engine at the push of a button and lock and unlock the doors just by touching the request switch on the door handle. And for an added measure of security, the engine immobilizer prevents anyone without the key from starting the car.(KEYLESS GO)

An additional variant, XE plus is also available with some factory fitted accessories.

XE plus=XE + options: Exterior shades:Diesel will be launched in September. No plans for CVT as of now.

Pictures (variant is top end XV):decklid with nissan logo and touch sensor which opens the boot, in conjunction with smart key/keyless go.

rear 3 quarter-looks quirky yet cute. ladies will surely love it.

side resembles old beetle and is evolutionary as compared to previous micra. Yet it looks refreshing.

front 3 quarter-evokes mixed reactions, some called it a baby cayenne.

front end resembles cayenne to quiet an extent. cartoonish perhaps? I loved it.

close up view of front end.

this angle is reminiscent of some curves from Porsche boxster.

side angle.

fron this angle, the car looks delicate and quiet mundane.

rear angle is bland, this car is a love it or hate it design.

taillights inspired from mini cooper.rear fog lights are NOT standard.

micra badging looks classy.

rear wash/wipe and defogger standard on XV

226 litre boot space. parcel tray flimsy and can be prone to rattles.

full size steel spare wheel and tool kit.

rear seats fold flat for more boot space. 60:40 split not standard on Indian version.

rear legroom is at a premium but good for a car of this size.

rear seat just about average in terms of comfort and cushioning.
Upright angle could be potentially tiring.
Integrated head restraints pretty useless as they are placed very low.

rear doorpad. Plastics are good quality and soft to touch. design is ordinary. No door pockets.

Dashboard in big and grey colour scheme in XV.

More pictures of XV

despite being equipped with a passenger airbag, the co driber side is extremely practical with dual glove box and a shelf as standard.

integrated audio with MP3 CD, aux-in and 4 speakers. No kind of remote whatsoever, not even on steering.

moulded roof lining, vanity mirror was not present on this car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDM007 (Post 1909461)
Me too waiting for the review of this car!

Regarding BAJAJ CHETAK: My view is, that was the best & sturdy model available at that time in 2-wheeler market (excluding bullets, yezdi etc). The whole India used to move on these BAJAJ scooters.

True, very true.

It was HAMARA BAJAJ too, until Hondas and Suzukis came to the fore.

But wait, didnt the Kinetic Honda which dawned in the early nineties give a pointer that the day when people would start shouting for quality products was very near.

Seriously, it created a dent in Chetak's market at that time also, if I can recollect properly.

Then came Hero Honda CD 100 which gave a nice and bloody blow to Bajaj.

^^
Bajaj Chetak received a major blow from LML Vespa.

I'm really looking forward to the Micra; the Japs are masters of packaging small cars. The Micra will be the second affordable Japanese hatch in the market (after Maruti's range, Jazz is hardly a mass-market product).

The only thing that works against Nissan is their wafer-thin dealer network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anu21v (Post 1908649)
In that sense you are trying to suggest everyother car manufacturer (except maruti for its WagonR) has been fool so far by not introducing this feature on the roof. Amazed to know that fact. IMO its more a cost cutting measure don't need to tell where from.

It provides double benefits - reduced weight and lower costs. You will see them on more models in the years to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by designersf (Post 1909593)
It provides double benefits - reduced weight and lower costs. You will see them on more models in the years to come.

Precisely my point, Car designs these days are less to do with looks but more to do with the associated costs. Lets just not bring the engineering side into it.

If the looks are not liked by end customer, internal structural design, changes in a way to keep the same sturdiness without compromising on exteriors looks.

So my point is unless Nissan thinks the Bubbles on roof are "Sexxxxy/Cool" Structural design has no role to play there.

from a pure user's perspective, having more angles on roof creates problems in maintaining a clean looking car.

Btw, you can find those roof designs in a lot of low cost vehicle already, try looking at roofs of vans and jeeps which is what i would desist as a carmaker unless it is really cool.