Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 18:46   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess these companies believe in making cars safer for the drivers only
Same logic is applied to bikes, where there is not even any effort to make passengers wear helmets! This country values drivers, not passengers
Old 26th May 2010, 20:29   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The car that would be hit most is the i10 if Micra clicks. One can expect the usual Hyundai discount schemes to counter this.
scheme? that ain't actually the word you meant - right? I guess you meant discount offers?
schemes are bad things - like the ponzi scheme / pyramid scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

I wonder about something. I didn't find even a single comment bashing the driver side only airbag offering, as in the i20 thread. (Before somebody flame me, I believe that standard on all variants maybe the keyword here, but still)

"And I wonder if India is the only market where cars are sold with only 1 airbag i.e. the driver side one.

I guess these companies believe in making cars safer for the drivers only."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Same logic is applied to bikes, where there is not even any effort to make passengers wear helmets! This country values drivers, not passengers
something is better than nothing - atleast on all variants!
90% of carmakers only have airbags in their top variants.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The car looks like a piece of trash, personal opinion. Buy the really dark coloured options if Nissan is the only brand one wants. Otherwise, more practical cars are already out there.
I AGREE !! There are better options than this. The i10, Figo, Polo, Punto & Fabia are more appealing than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I frankly could not relate this car's design to any Porsche or a Beetle except maybe the overall round treatment and that too because the OP thought of these great designs to compare to. Just 1 word that comes to mind 'HORRIBLE'. Is this the same company that gave us the Skyline, Murano and the Maxima? Difficult to believe. The matte silver plastic center console and the over all design treatment looks like been outsourced to a Chinese imitation car design company who was told to make things as round and ugly as possible.
I agree 100 % with your post !! I think the whole concept looks a bit strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Personally not impressed by the looks or specs. May survive with a 'poor man's beetle' tag.
The rear is nothing but hideous.
I personally was looking forward to buy this car as we need a small hatch in the family this year BUT I somehow after looking at the photos do not find it too appealing.

I will however check it out at a showroom. Wait - I do not think there is a showroom in Agra.

How is the Nissan Dealership Scene ? Do they have in other small town or still limited to metros. I am sure with this small car launch they need to cover all cities.

Nice review Sid

Last edited by vkochar : 26th May 2010 at 20:34.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:44   #79
BHPian

sometimes i feel the car is much better looking than when i saw it for the first time...on net ofcourse

But on second thought this car is "Neither Here nor there" Or rather "Neither A-Star nor Beat" design.

Somehow i feel Japs and koreans overkill with Round Shapes,,, Headlights, Taillamps, Front Bonnet and Now "bubbles on Roof". And what is this front lookg like some ugly "FISH going for a kiss" which they absolutely adore in China/Korea/Japan. Boy they sure think Indians like this round shapes and fish the way they like it. Kiddish....but hey its Nissan.

The worst mistake they would do is not Launch a CVT in india. with CVT they would have done wonders with the Fuel mileage thing which is what we indians like the most.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:06   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
scheme? that ain't actually the word you meant - right? I guess you meant discount offers?
schemes are bad things - like the ponzi scheme / pyramid scheme.
Belongs in the English-Language thread, but...

Scheme, as a noun, does not have negative connotations; "discount scheme" is fine.

Such is the peculiarity of the English language, though, that the word scheme as verb, or scheming as an adjective, is often used negatively, as in plotting.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th May 2010 at 21:07.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

The Micra looks CUTE in real. Looks very puny in pics but not so.

Top end in Bangalore on road is 6.3L. I would rather buy a Punto!
Old 26th May 2010, 21:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Belongs in the English-Language thread, but...

Scheme, as a noun, does not have negative connotations; "discount scheme" is fine.

Such is the peculiarity of the English language, though, that the word scheme as verb, or scheming as an adjective, is often used negatively, as in plotting.

Humbly with you!

Here in US - as I have noticed, the word is kind of a taboo!!
My roommate - a first timer in US and not so fluent in colloquial english - queried the apartment lease office staff- 'What other schemes do you have?'.
She was like on fire!!

Last edited by blackasta : 26th May 2010 at 21:35.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:38   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for letting me know about the American usage: I had no idea!
Old 26th May 2010, 22:46   #84
BHPian

What is the "auto" on the ORVM retract switch for?
Old 26th May 2010, 23:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

this is the official website of nissan micra

Nissan Micra

?
Old 27th May 2010, 00:21   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

...and, as websites go, it is spectacularly useless and uninformative. The best thing on it is the link to download the brochure, and even that is not brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by em17 View Post
What is the "auto" on the ORVM retract switch for?
My guess is retracts when the engine is turned off.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
My guess is retracts when the engine is turned off.
Why would we need a button/switch if it retracts automatically upon engine shutoff. I don't know if this feature is there in the Micra, I have seen it in the Q7.

I would assume, this switch is to trigger the retract action otherwise, whenever required. It says "Auto Close" and the diagram shows a retract/open action.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 27th May 2010 at 00:33.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the new Micra today and i am impressed with the build quality, plastics and ergonomics. Ofcourse, a test drive will reveal all but till then i give this car a 'thumbs-up'. Pity it wasn't released earlier atleast as far as i'm concerned. The Chennai dealer was very helpful and explained all the features in detail and i was told that Nissan Motor is planning a promo event at the Madras Race Track soon. So, there seems to be a serious effort by Nissan to become a volume player in this market and i hope they succeed because they do have a very good product on offer. My only peeve is the rear styling which does take a bit of time to get used to.
Attached Thumbnails
New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-792-large.jpg  

New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-791-large.jpg  

New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-793-large.jpg  

New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-794-large.jpg  

New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-795-large.jpg  

New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-796-large.jpg  

Old 27th May 2010, 00:50   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer the back end to the front end! I'm not keen on this very blunt-nose look --- in fact I said the same about no less than the Q7 very recently.

So this is in Chennai already? Many thanks for the excellent photos... might go and take a look myself (when my Swift is back on the road)
Old 27th May 2010, 00:54   #90
BHPian

The car looks way better in this color. I would love to see it in white. I did not find the back that annoying. Looks like any other car to me.

@nickatnite, very good pics - you have a great camera! Would love to see some more interior pics - especially the rear legroom.

Last edited by SunilM : 27th May 2010 at 00:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed