Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 00:57   #91
Senior - BHPian

I remember when the original round light Santro came out, everyone said its ugly, open mouth pig etc etc.

It went on to become a smashing success.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
The car looks way better in this color. I would love to see it in white. I did not find the back that annoying. Looks like any other car to me.

@nickatnite, very good pics - you have a great camera! Would love to see some more interior pics - especially the rear legroom.
Pics taken with my much fingered and weary N95 phonecam. Here's a pic of the rear seating.
Attached Thumbnails
New Nissan Micra : Full details & specs. EDIT - Launch on 14th July!-chennai-788-large.jpg  

Old 27th May 2010, 01:50   #93
Senior - BHPian

Well, the ladies are gonna love it.
This is gonna take a hit at the 'toy-car' segment. {Read as Spark / Beat / i10 / A-Star / Estilo segment}

i dont think anyone with some knowledge of Indian Auto Industry would opt for a 3 pot at 5.6L Ex-showroom, even if its for the top version. They would be better off with a Figo / Punto / Ritz / Swift even though Figo and Punto 1.2 have a relatively sedate Petrol engine.

Ya, all the above, IMHO
Old 27th May 2010, 07:40   #94
BANNED

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. Your pictures have been reloaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system.

We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

The Hindustan Landmaster

The 'New' Nissan Micra

the first time i saw the Micra in flesh, it looked very similar to the car we all have grown with (& many grown old with!!)

As for the car itself, the looks can seem quirky from certain angles, but when you actually see it in person, its not all that bad. Though i must say the dash is nothing like we have it now in India, not necessarily a good thing though. The cabin space is quite restricted too, considering you might have to shell out upto 7 Lakhs for the top variant (told by the dealer rep)

I have never been a fan of the 3 pot engine, takes the grunt out i think; its like you shout at the car "o Baby! Go", and the car looks back at you with those mundane beagle eyes and says "Yaaaaawwwnnn! No"

IMHO, the Micra might have to get its hands dirty in a bloodbath, people will have to surely question its ability specially considering it doesn't have a stellar value proposition, neither a proper Network (had to drive 25kms to get to the nearest showroom )

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2010 at 15:46. Reason: See Mod Note in your post
Old 27th May 2010, 09:15   #95
BHPian

price quote from the Bangalore dealer.
Handling charges at Rs.9500/-!!!! That's a rip off.
With not much dealer or service network, its certainly hard work for Nissan.

The car in particular looks fine to me with the features it provides.
Remember how the Santro made it big here for Hyundai with its initial ugly duckling looks. But Hyundai also roped in SRK to get its brand image, Nissan however seem to be laying low on the publicity.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp nissanMicraPrices.bmp (536.3 KB, 574 views)
Old 27th May 2010, 09:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Checked out the new Micra today and i am impressed with the build quality, plastics and ergonomics.......
Seeing your pics, I think a sedan version of Micra with a Morris Minor type boot will be much cuter, a poor man's Beetle so to speak.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post

Remember how the Santro made it big here for Hyundai with its initial ugly duckling looks. But Hyundai also roped in SRK to get its brand image, Nissan however seem to be laying low on the publicity.
Expected prices ex showroom Delhi - from the First Page of this thread

* XE: Rs. 3,75,000
* XL: Rs. 4,25,000
* XV: Rs. 4,65,000

Ex - showroom price posted by ntneo

XE - 395000
XL - 480000
XV - 525000

There is huge difference in price given by ntneo and the estimated price on the first page of this thread. At this price [posted by ntneo], the car will not be a mass seller. And I think Nissan might not be worried as I read somewhere they only want to sell around 2000 units in India and rest for oversees.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop

Scoop master...Nice scoop once again!!!

Some observations:

1) Thought that the pricing for the product is a tad high. The main reason is that the Micra will compete with the likes of established players like Hyundai and Maruti and here by the first point advantage-the pricing plays a huge part.

2) The limited network will have an impact on the sales. I hope Nissan can work towards that quickly and eliminate the inordinate delays. A page to learn from Ford here, I guess!! The Figo deliveries are a good thing for the company.

3) Few innovative touches like the Driver Airbags across all variants and the start/stop engine button are good initiatives.

4) The red colour looks awesome....though the entire design looks feminine to me!!!
Old 27th May 2010, 11:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post

The Hindustan Landmaster

Sorry
The old car in the pic is a 1955 Model Fiat 1100 Millecento and not a Landmaster.

Last edited by arun1100 : 27th May 2010 at 11:18.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:50   #100

Very good coverage of the new car. The car looks very toy-ish IMO. Somehow get the feeling that Nissan would struggle with this one, given their sparse dealership network.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:51   #101
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post

Wow, 9500 for what? complete rip off, none should agree to pay that.
Price wise its moving towards the polo and i20 category(XV variant), but clearly cannot compete with those offerings as overall package is not as premium. Looks like its going to be tough to wean away the i10 and beat customers who are paying a lac less , only that airbags and ABS are extra(wonder how many actually prefer that)
Old 27th May 2010, 12:47   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Nick... You're a good Nissan salesman!

Coming back for another look at your pcs today, and being a bit disillusioned with my Swift at the moment, I'm almost sold on it
Old 27th May 2010, 13:47   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
sometimes i feel the car is much better looking than when i saw it for the first time...on net ofcourse

But on second thought this car is "Neither Here nor there" Or rather "Neither A-Star nor Beat" design.

Somehow i feel Japs and koreans overkill with Round Shapes,,, Headlights, Taillamps, Front Bonnet and Now "bubbles on Roof". And what is this front lookg like some ugly "FISH going for a kiss" which they absolutely adore in China/Korea/Japan. Boy they sure think Indians like this round shapes and fish the way they like it. Kiddish....but hey its Nissan.

The worst mistake they would do is not Launch a CVT in india. with CVT they would have done wonders with the Fuel mileage thing which is what we indians like the most.
They are not mere bubbles. The two emboss things on the roof are actually provided to offer stiffness and reduce weight. Moreover, the presence of this feature reduces booming noise that is common with Steel panels. Understand the technical aspect before commenting.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:05   #104
BHPian

Does the XE really come with a roof antenna, but without a music system?
Old 27th May 2010, 16:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from the Nissan Showroom. They had a Black Micra on display. the top end model. Must say impressed with the quality. Got a chance to start the car and test the AC and the OEM Music system. Both Impressive.

The sales person informed that the test car should reach their showroom in approx 15-20 days time. The expected OTR price for Ahmedabad would be 4.50L to 5.60L. He ofcourse couldn't comit.

Looks like Micra is going to give a hard time to the competetion. Only time will tell.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed