Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 11:46   #226
Senior - BHPian

When Nissan chose Ranbir Kapoor as it's brand ambassador, it sort of gelled with my impression of the car. If the Micra had been a phenomenal deal, I would have still thought twice about buying the car, purely because of the brand ambassador. Thankfully it is not phenomenal, I'm saved the trouble .No offense meant to any Micra or Ranbir fans.

I am very interested to see whether the Micra sales take off or not.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:00   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand ambassador!

Huh! A purely financial advertising deal.

Who cares?
Old 9th June 2010, 13:15   #228
BHPian

Saw the Micra at Chennai Trade Center Lifestyle expo...IMO, though the car from exterior looks small but the interiors are spacious enough. However, from looks pov, it has flop written all over!
Old 9th June 2010, 13:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

I had this discussion with my people here, and everyone seems to agree to one point. Which I made earlier, Ranbir doesnt have the appeal factor to sell the car.

But everyone had agreed with Nissan's view point, they dont have a choice. As there are no other young heros who can do brand marketing in bollywood now.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:42   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nissan India today announced Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor as Brand Ambassador for its cars at an event held at the Taj Lands End in Mumbai. Going by the success Ranbir is enjoying these days, I think its a smart move by Nissan to cash in on his popularity.(Similar strategy to what Hyundai did in 1998 with SRK) A hit especially with the ladies.
Ranbir looks like he came there to deliver Pizza and got pulled on to the stage by mistake. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
  • A total of 9 models in India by the end of the fiscal year 2012.
Cool! I hope we can see cars like the Sentra, Altima and Maxima among the 9.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:57   #231
BHPian

My observation after going through this thread. Of all the members who have seen this car in person 70% seems to have liked the car and commented that car looks better when seen in actual rather than the pictures posted.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:56   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
My observation after going through this thread. Of all the members who have seen this car in person 70% seems to have liked the car and commented that car looks better when seen in actual rather than the pictures posted.
70% hmm, I guess i prefer to take the other 30% side. I saw the car in flesh in lifestyle expo in chennai. It is definitely not as bad as the pics, but it is bad. One thing that i would agree with others is that the interiors are spacier than you would expect from seeing the external appearance.

But the first thing that catches your eye is the external appearance. I literally heard someone comment, this car looks like it is sick all the time (you should have heard how he said it tamil) right in front of the sales person in the expo. The sales person just smiled.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:11   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, a bit more respect for my future car, please!

No, seriously, I don't know yet, and I have always wanted to be a VW owner, but, somehow, I keep picturing that blue micra parked on our drive.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:17   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hey, a bit more respect for my future car, please!
No, seriously, I don't know yet, and I have always wanted to be a VW owner, but, somehow, I keep picturing that blue micra parked on our drive.

Like someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread - you either love or hate the Micra, you cannot be neutral to its looks. I was seriously, contemplating the Mitsubishi Colt, but now I think I have to re-think.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:35   #235
BHPian

I think this car would be the one for girls & a pretty good one(probably the best) at that, Thats just my opinion. The car looks really cute but somehow i cant imagine a man driving it.

Now that they have Ranbir as their Brand Am, This is sure going to be a success with the girls.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:53   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but somehow i cant imagine a man driving it.
I'll post a photograph.

But hey, I'm a feminist, so I guess that counts me out
Old 9th June 2010, 19:03   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
I think this car would be the one for girls & a pretty good one(probably the best) at that, Thats just my opinion. The car looks really cute but somehow i cant imagine a man driving it.

Now that they have Ranbir as their Brand Am, This is sure going to be a success with the girls.
I think I missed a bit of Indian automotive history.

...the part where OEMs started making cars specifically for genders. The TVS Scooty was made for female consumers, yet if you count, I am sure you will find more males riding Scootys.

In India, the concept of "wife's car" is yet to catch up (except the metros). We are driven by value for money, nothing else. Members of khap panchayaats would be seen in Micras if it appealed to their sense of value for money.
Old 9th June 2010, 21:09   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
The thing here is that Indian cars are not given the sort of coating given abroad in the paint shop. I'm not entirely sure of the name though. It is manily to save on cost and due to harsh Indian conditions, manufacturers do not want to risk offering such warranties. If you check the site of any other manufacturer, you will see the same. Many dont offer comprehensive warranties in India save for luxury brands like BMW.
Can you explain the differences please?

AFAIK, standard work instructions on each stage is direct from the parent company when setting shop in India. The Japs are pretty fussy on that.

We DO NOT have double standards in manufacturing SIR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But are not Nissan manufacturing Micras here for Indian market and export? Are we really getting an inferior version on sale here?

I think too much is made of "Indian conditions" as if it is an acceptable excuse for manufacturers to offer less. I do not believe that it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Im not sure about the Micras case though but every car manufactured in India (read Marutis, Hyundais and others) for exports are of better quality than their Indian counterparts in some aspects.
Again, can you elaborate what inferior quality parts we get in comparison to the export market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Saw the Micra at Chennai Trade Center Lifestyle expo...IMO, though the car from exterior looks small but the interiors are spacious enough. However, from looks pov, it has flop written all over!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
In India, the concept of "wife's car" is yet to catch up (except the metros). We are driven by value for money, nothing else.
BTW, Nissan needs to spruce up the dealers IF they want to sell in INDIA.

Will be watching this space ...
Old 9th June 2010, 21:48   #239

I just called the Nissan Chennai and wanted to know if they are releasing the Automatic version for the Micra. But Nissan is not entering the Automatic market yet.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:54   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Even Matiz was termed a 'girl's car' but more men drove it than women, including me.
Just like how 'Femina' has more male readers than females!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks