Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 22:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to launch new Verna soon.

Came across this news that Hyundai is planning to launch new Verna here in India.

Source : Hyundai to launch new Verna soon | Autocar India

Article :

Quote:
Hyundai Motor is ready with its new Verna but chose to showcase its 2011 model at the Beijing Motor Show to emphasise the importance of the China market. Looking like a miniature Sonata, the new Verna features sweptback headlights, a bold grille, and rearview mirrors with integrated LED turn signals. Inside, the cabin boasts higher quality materials and an improved design.

Power comes from two new Gamma petrol engines with multi-port fuel injection. The base 1.4-litre produces 106bhp and 13.7kgm of torque. Hyundai also offers a 1.6 litre engine with 121bhp and 15.8kgm of torque. It will be available exclusively with a four-speed automatic.

The car rides on an all-new platform with a 2570mm wheelbase. It uses an increased amount of ultra-high tensile strength steel, so expect improved handling and better NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) levels. The boot capacity is 454 litres.

The new Verna (codename RB) will make its way to India in 2011, sources have said. In order to price the vehicle appropriately for the Indian market, Hyundai Motor India will look at a comprehensive localisation plan to make the car more affordable. When the new Verna comes to India, a diesel engine is sure to be in the line-up – the company can’t afford not to have a diesel option.

Price indications for the vehicle are in the region of Rs 12-13 lakh, which would pit the car against rivals in the upper C segment. Meanwhile, Chinese production of the new Verna kicks off in July while global production is slated to commence in the months ahead.
So this car will sold here as a replacement for Elantra. So most probably we will have Accent, Verna ( another generation Accent ) and this Accent being sold simultaneously in India.
A bit weird. Cant match the class of Civic or even Altis. And if really the car comes with that Rs. 12-13 lakh price tag, then for sure Honda City will continue its dream run.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Came across this news that Hyundai is planning to launch new Verna here in India.

Source : Hyundai to launch new Verna soon | Autocar India

Article :

So this car will sold here as a replacement for Elantra. So most probably we will have Accent, Verna ( another generation Accent ) and this Accent being sold simultaneously in India.
A bit weird. Cant match the class of Civic or even Altis. And if really the car comes with that Rs. 12-13 lakh price tag, then for sure Honda City will continue its dream run.

why raise the price tag so much??? 12-13 lakhs is 4 lakh price rise - about 50%!!!

And old accent, current accent (verna) and future accent selling side by side - this happens only in India
Old 25th May 2010, 22:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

figment of imagination of some journalist. Even H isnt that stupid to compete against Civic/Corolla with a Verna
Old 25th May 2010, 22:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
figment of imagination of some journalist. Even H isnt that stupid to compete against Civic/Corolla with a Verna
Exactly. Looks like someones wild imagination!!!
I would be like if this is true.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:55   #5
BHPian

If the news is true,then Hyundai should be insane to launch the new Verna with such a price tag. They should figure out a way to tackle the competition from Honda City before they train their guns against Civic/Corolla.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

12-13 Lakh !

I read the autocarindia (June,10) article that also stated the Verna would sell for 12-13 Lakh. I dont really get it ?? If the Verna sells for 12-13 Lakh, what price would the Elantra sell at ? and what about the new Sonata ? From the pictures of the new Verna, it looks like a Honda City sized car, so do the interiors look like they belong to a 8-9 Lakh rupee car. I get the feeling they will launch it to compete with the City and not the Civic.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably once the localization happens, the price might come down. Whoever wrote the pricing might have converted the currency from some other countries! And hope this time they sort out the handling issues the current gen Verna has! and with a butter smooth engine [Diesel] like the current engine. Boy, I love that engine ! Madly in love!
Old 26th May 2010, 09:42   #8
MAS
Senior - BHPian

It sure sounds like a crazy confused journalist on the loose, trying to draw attention. From this other thread,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...or-show-2.html

the new Verna looks only as big as the Honda City. It is impossible for this car to compete against the mighty Civic & Altis.

IMHO, Hyundai might price the car slightly above the existing Verna price and would discontinue the present Verna.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Its high time Hyundai brought out replacements for the current Verna and the old Elantra. With such a beautiful engine that they had in both cars, I wonder what is stopping them. In the sub 10 lakh sedan segment, there is a huge potential for a car like Verna to score. Hope Hyundai wakes up and brings in some competition to this segment.

The above news if true, will result in the 'new Verna' having a similar fate as the Elantra. Possibly a very nice car, we still dont know, but would go down the drain because of the pricing.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:51   #10
BHPian

I was just thinking.. NHC top-end used to 7.5L in Chennai - The ANHC costs 10.5 L (V-MT). That's a cool 3L increase!

May be Verna might do the same if it thinks it can compete with the likes of Cruze LT.

There is a gap between 10L cars (City and the likes) and the next segment (Cruze LT - 14L, LTZ-16L, Laura TSI - 16L etc) - May be Hyundai wants to place it inbetween these segments.

I'll be very happy if is is priced at the same level or slightly higher than the current Verna - Vento will have a good competition!
Old 26th May 2010, 13:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Someone I don't know why some mags desperately overhype the prices.

The verna will come in India in mid 2011 and will be priced in the same level, replacing the current one. accurate Info.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:56   #12
mkh
Senior - BHPian

If they have a better car than the current one in terms of looks, ride and maintain the diesel and even then sell it at 12-13, it maybe a hit, but not the petrol. I think they will position it against the city most likely in the petrol offering
Old 26th May 2010, 14:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded Verna sounds like a good new but the indicated price bracket doesnt sound good, just like Maruti, Hyundai doesnt have good luck with selling premium sedans.

Btw from the description it looks likes the New Verna which was posted.

It could be either of these 2

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2010 at 14:10.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

the first pic is the Chinese version of the 2007-2011 elantra with a different front and rear ends.

????

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2010 at 18:52.
Old 26th May 2010, 15:08   #15
BHPian

Did the reporter mean the Elantra or the Verna? I think he has gotconfused sicne both the models look pretty much the same. I think it should have been the Elantra at that price tag. 12-13lakh for a Verna is preposterous.

Most Viewed