Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 02:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

Both my cars have been from the Maruti Suzuki stable. However, budget and ease of ownership was the reason, rather than brand loyalty.

That said- if i am to buy another small car, Maruti Suzuki would defenitly get preference because we had only good experiences during the past 11 years and ~ a lakh kilometers!
Old 27th May 2010, 03:15   #17
BHPian

Mine's definitely the Chevy, been having them since the 90's. Not the ones in India though, the bigger ones which, unfortunately, are not a viable option in India.
Old 27th May 2010, 03:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think brand loyalty has some real meaning when it comes to very high end brands such as BMW, Audi, Merc, Porsche etc. These brands are synonymous with some great qualities and have maintained certain 'brand perception' throughout the history. For example, BMW is the ultimate driving machine (and it is certainly not just a marketing tag line), Audis have been showcases of absolutely cutting-edge technology, Porsches are the ultimate sports car and have never made a car that is not sporty enough, etc. It is understandable that someone can be loyal to these particular characteristics that these brand stand for, and nothing else matters when you reach that level of brand image.

However, the kind of segment we are talking about (Fiats, Marutis, Hyundais, Fords etc.), I don't think brand loyalty has any meaning. These are just the cars that we buy based on mundane issues such as sales and service, fuel economy, price, ordinary things we call 'features' (e.g. ACC, ABS) etc. These brands are not synonymous with any great characteristics. And whatever characteristics they have, they keep on changing with time. For example, Maruti can produce a very sporty, good handling and adorable Swift, and then it can also produce a very dull and horrible looking Estillo. Fiat can make a hot hatch with a 100 bhp 1.6L motor in the form of Palio 1.6, and then move on to making another hatch with 150 kg more weight and power it with just 89 bhp 1.4L motor. VW can talk about all the German engineering and then launch cars with 3-cylinder engines.

So what brand loyalty we can talk about in this segment?

In summary, I believe brand loyalty is a misplaced concept in the lower-end segment, where practicality and affordability plays the most critical role and one should admit this instead of blindly following a brand. At the higher end of the segment, the brands really have consistent differentiators and there brand loyalty makes more sense.

Thanks,
-AD
Old 27th May 2010, 03:58   #19
BHPian

Bron with the VW badge in my heart. Always loyal to the indestructible VW
Old 27th May 2010, 04:50   #20
Max
BHPian

for me its Honda.

I have been driving honda city since last 6 years and it always feels at home. Before that I had OHC for 1 year and maruti zen for 1 year. Loved all cars but now it seems its time to switch to diesel, my next car surely will be diesel but i don't plan to buy new car till this one breaks down which doesn't seems to be the case for at least next 3-4 years.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
For example, Maruti can produce a very sporty, good handling and adorable Swift, and then it can also produce a very dull and horrible looking Estillo. Fiat can make a hot hatch with a 100 bhp 1.6L motor in the form of Palio 1.6, and then move on to making another hatch with 150 kg more weight and power it with just 89 bhp 1.4L motor. VW can talk about all the German engineering and then launch cars with 3-cylinder engines.

So what brand loyalty we can talk about in this segment?

I believe brand loyalty is a misplaced concept in the lower-end segment, where practicality and affordability plays the most critical role and one should admit this instead of blindly following a brand.
Excellent post Dr. AD!

However, the 'mudane issues' you have mentioned have a greater significance in India than most other markets. People who are already stretching beyond their limits to get a Maruti/ Hyundai will want absolute peace of mind (read- widespread service availability + cheap maintainence). For the same reason, FE also take high importance.

Speaking from my personal experience- my parents had to arrange all sorts of loans to buy a M800. Although its the most basic thing available- it provided a fantastic ownership experience over a span of 7 years. This was a big deciding factor when we upgraded the car. Parents were comfortable buying a Maruti Suzuki, and had to think twice or thrice about other cars. However, if I am to buy a car next, i'll consider all my choices including Maruti suzuki (with some extra brownie points to MS).

Now, these might be absolute 'mundane issues' for a person investing 10+ lakhs though! Or to us team-bhp'ians who think of it as herd mentality.

More like a love marriage v/s arranged marriage discussion. Both sides have their own points / views. Both are right too, from their own perspective. And both sides wont try to understand each other as well!
Old 27th May 2010, 06:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think we should differentiate between brand loyalty and brand aspiration. The difference is blurred in some of the posts. I can afford only a small car, and among the makers of small cars I would be loyal to Maruti so long as I own one and they keep me happy.

But the brand I really believe in, and would like to own some day, is Honda. How can I be loyal to it, unless I have owned one?
Old 27th May 2010, 09:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

I wont say i am loyal but i PREFER cars from the Mahindra Stable.

I bought 3 generations of the scorpio for the same reason. Now my next buy would be the W201 'world SUV' from mahindra!

I like jap cars for their reliability but they lack the oomph factor or the 'I want one' characteristics of mahindras, they are just plain jane cars. built flimsy & weak for fuel efficiency & their high revving engines done please me either. strictly my opinion.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

its MSIL for me! Mainly due to VFM package, low maintenance cost.

But now a days I am not a big fan of MSIL after they started introducing not so good looking cars like Ritz,Dzire ASTAR etc. I cant belive its the same company which gave us carb Zen,Esteem, Baleno and Swift

If they can get Kizashi, i might be loyal again
Old 27th May 2010, 10:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai for me!!

just because they made the i20 which I fell in love with totally!

+ their 'fluid' design cars that look amazing!
Old 27th May 2010, 10:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Toyota for me. Have owned over 6 Toyota's in the past and will own much more in the future
Old 27th May 2010, 10:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well this love affair is just a couple of months old, but I am totally a Ford guy now. After driving many of the Japanese, Korean and Indian cars, I found the Ford (Figo and Fiesta) drive completely different, something about the car's behavior that I am not able to fully express in words. It is the steering, handling - and something more.

This is way too early to call it loyalty and there are several unknowns for me like A.S.S etc. But right now I am in love, and got converted to the viewpoint that a car's roots do matter. I used to think otherwise.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra for us.
Sold our ten year old bolero,for a Scorpio M hawk
Old 27th May 2010, 10:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Mahindra for us.
Sold our ten year old bolero,for a Scorpio M hawk
Good decision bro, ten years is pretty much the time in which you max out the Bolero, and love the new MHawk-just took a test drive yesterday. Am contemplating a buy as well! But am caught in two minds whether to wait for the W201 or buy the MHawk now.

Raj, any idea as to how much the W201 is expected to cost? And yeah, I've seen a few Scorpio fanboys, but you are the only one I've seen who seem to be having a relationship with it- replete with criticism and appreciation. Great going, man!

Waiting to see what Mahindra does with the Reva!
Old 27th May 2010, 11:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finject View Post
Raj, any idea as to how much the W201 is expected to cost? And yeah, I've seen a few Scorpio fanboys, but you are the only one I've seen who seem to be having a relationship with it- replete with criticism and appreciation. Great going, man!
thanks buddy. well, for quite a few in this forum, i am a scorpio fanboy too.

regarding the W201, well i got to hear that it will be launched in mid 2011, but this is not concrete news. so i guess you will have to settle with the mHawk for now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks