Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Car brands that you are inexplicably loyal to!

IMHO, an important factor in most buying decisions is the brand or company manufacturing the product. For example, the Beat may be a better car than the Wagon R on paper, but the typical Indian household will still prefer the Maruti to a Chevy, owing to the age old relationship he has had with the brand.

On this thread, I hope to get people to indicate their most preferred brands on the Indian car scene. Mine are:

1> Mahindra: I don't know if it's the masculine and rugged positioning, or the fact that the first motor vehicle I aspired to own was a MM540, I just find myself scavenging every piece of Mahindra news that comes my way. I bought a Xylo over the Innova, so there!

2> Amby: The neta gaadi has always been aspirational to me, and I hope someone reinvents the brand whilst maintaining their classic look, and also upgrades its specs to compete with the newer generation. Hoping to pick one up in the future!

3> Honda: Always dependable. Always innovative. Always a great car!
Old 26th May 2010, 19:02   #2
BHPian

finject,have to agree to your statement.
I personally am a japanese car freak.I've had toyota's,honda's and suzuki's by the dozen.its more a mind over the heart decision.not to deny that other manufacturers make bad cars but the japanese and asian makers have an idea about indian conditions although the americans are catching up with the likes of figo and fiesta.So at times it's more about the segment and price range you're looking at.today many people are taking to beat because of its pricing and three year maintenance pack.so the state of choices remains primarily at the user's end.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

If I have to mention one. It will be Maruti Suzuki. They are the best in terms of pricing and after sales. Plus I own 2 from their stable.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

After owning several cars over last decade i am loyal to none of the Manufacturers, not that i was unsatisfied but, I have had very good ownership experience with most of the cars i have owned. I buy a Car because i like that Car not the Brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
the japanese and asian makers have an idea about indian conditions although the americans are catching up with the likes of figo and fiesta.
Each and every Honda has major ground clearance issues (Except CRV obviously) and Most Marutis From Zen to SX4 have major rattling issues.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th May 2010 at 19:10.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:21   #5
BHPian

It would be Maruti for me. After owning 3 accents ( 2 petrol and 1 crdi) i switched to an SX4 and i sure am happy. Some pathetic looser scratched my 2 months old car with a key all over and day before yesterday one of my wheels punctured,on inspection it came to light that the Tyre had actually burst. so today i went to Apra auto and they assured me not only that they are gonna replace the burst tyre but also buff my car all over and get rid of the scratches...all for free. This kind of treatment cannot be expected out of even toyota and honda, and certainly not from ford and skoda. I remember once folks from Maruti came home to have a look at the wheel alignment problem in out 800.

Maruti knows how to keep a customer happy. Hyundai does not even come close. I have already booked a Polo but now owing to long waiting periods and Maruti's customer service im thinking of switching to a Swift. Even if that doesnt happen I am definitely gonna buy Kizashi when its out.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
After owning several cars over last decade i am loyal to none of the Manufacturers, not that i was unsatisfied but, I have had very good ownership experience with most of the cars i have owned. I buy a Car because i like that Car not the Brand.
+1 to that. I don't usually look at the brand when I want to buy a car. My first car was to be an Alto, but later changed my decision to buy either a Santro or a Wagon R. Test drove both and picked the Santro because it fit my needs better. My next car will be a diesel as my running justifies it and currently, the two in my mind are i20 CRDi or the Grande Punto (if they come up with the 90PS VGT) or even a Linea MJD (I need decent power on the diesel because I drive a lot on the highway). Give me a decently powered diesel sedan/big hatch, I'll take it. No choice of brands, all are welcome
Old 26th May 2010, 19:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I buy a Car because i like that Car not the Brand.
Well said
IMO sticking to a brand has some negatives 'also'.
1. You don't get to enjoy 'strengths' of other brand.
2. You get the same experience throughout life, I mean isn't it boring?

Last edited by HammerHead : 26th May 2010 at 19:47.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

I have previously owned Toyota, Maruti, Mercury (Ford), Chevy, Acura (Honda), and currently own Suzuki, Mahindra and Hyundai brand vehicles.

Sorry, I am not loyal to any brand. I might prefer one brand over other based on past experience or reputation. But I will not buy from or stick to any brand blindly.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very loyal to Ford.
We have been very happy with our past 3 purchases. However, there is no doubt that if there is a significantly better competitor, we will go for that option.
However, ford typically excels in FTD cars, and that is a main criteria for me.
Another company is Fiat. We had a siena and then a Palio GTX.
Who knows, our next car could be one of these brands again.

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th May 2010 at 20:10.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure about brand loyalty - I don't think being loyal to a brand is a good idea. There is just so much you potentially miss out on! Plus, I think brand loyalty is misplaced. Just buy a car that suits your needs.

Having said that, there are brands I am partial to and brands I will tend to discount from my shortlist.
I am partial to Ford, Fiat and Nissan. I tend to discount cars from GM and Toyota.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:15   #11
BANNED

Myself to the VW.

Both my rides are over 40 years, and yet ride like new, almost 0% maintainence and above all no niggles. Any German made VW i am game for it.

TATA for my Safari Dicor, 4th year and troublefree ride. I will buy some more TATA's for sure in the future.

Maruti only for my 1997 M-800, for a good run for over 2 and odd lac kms and still my daily drive, I dont like any cars Maruti makes now.

Deawoo for our best BIG small car Matiz, 10 years and almost troublefree. Now they dont exist anymore.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

My brand would be HYUNDAI.

Having first bought the Santro in 1998 - 1999 when it launched first and then buying 3 more. Then the Accent and now the Verna - both which I still have.

Never really had a problem with Hyundai's - it's never stalled, never gone to the mechanic, just get it serviced routinely and fill up all the necessary liquids it needs - and that's it. BUT then I suppose that is with all the vehicles nowadays.

I still prefer Hyundai as I have always had a pleasant experience with them. Never an unpleasing one.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

We have a Honda, Toyota and a Suzuki at home. So we've never been that loyal to any of the brands in particular.

And i took a liking to Honda mainly bcoz of the OHC VTEC. The present models aren't as exciting to drive.

Shan2nu
Old 27th May 2010, 00:28   #14
BHPian

Our first four cars are by different manufacturers - Maruti, Daewoo, Hyundai and Fiat in that order. But I am a big Fiat and Mitsubishi fan
Old 27th May 2010, 01:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Loyal to Maserati but only to the extent of my belief that if there is a manufacturer who knows how to produce cars that have the best looks and proportions it is Maserati.

As a buying customer my loyalty is only to myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks