Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 08:54   #16
BHPian

Guys, even if it charges a bit more, we all need to support automatic car washing centers, who supports water re-cycling.

They used to wash the cars with re-cycled water. I was planned to start one.. but since not sure about its scope, and how our guys will support it, I left it.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:18   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

In a place like Bombay especially if one travels a lot each day (like i do - 75kms a day) the car really gets dirty each day. In monsoon the cars become a total mess, and even while they are parked they do pick up a lot of dust due to construction activity in newer development areas.

Half a bucket of water each day between 2 cars - 6 days a week is what we get done by our car cleaner.

I guess if I was truly environment (and health) conscious I should first restrict travel to 10 kms a day first and then automatically the cleaning needs would be reduced.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
@blackasta, the thouhts about bathing every day (rather, not bathing every day) were in a lighter vein.

Anyways, I think if we are serious about conserving water, the best option is to think of recycling and harvesting the water that we consume, instead of trying to save a bucket of water here and there. It would amount to cost cutting that doesn't give you any benefits in the long run. On the other hand if we were to go for water harvesting and recycling, it would certainly be better for everyone around.
Hey I knew that!!
Unless we are in a desert - no one would be insane enough to suggest bathing as optional - especially in India.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:21   #19
BHPian

In our apartment, the water gets recycled and is used for such cleaning so I've not bothered how much water my cleaning guy has been using. I think most of the apartments in Bangalore have this recycling water facility.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:24   #20
BHPian

I water wash my car once a month using about 2 or 3 buckets of water which included a bucket of a/c water for shampoo. Rest of the days, just dust off with a jopasu duster, and 2/3 times a week, after dusting off, do a wiping with wet microfibre cloth to removes stubborn dirt.

IMO, using less water will keep the paint shining for more time as well as rusting will be prevented to greater extent.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

I usually get my car cleaned every 15 days in car cleaning place. sometimes clean it at home with 2-3 bucket water, rarely tho. If you polish the car after getting it washed, it will last easily a month without any cleaning. You need to just remove the dust.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:03   #22
BHPian

Rainy Season is coming. . .
Do not use covered parking, your car will be washed without wasting any water, and oh yes, without wasting time also
Old 28th May 2010, 11:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Hey I knew that!!
Unless we are in a desert - no one would be insane enough to suggest bathing as optional - especially in India.
Well, I don't think people in Kashmir bathe every day

WDM007, even if the car remains parked during rains, the dirt and dust that accumulates on the car makes it worse during rains (unless there are heavy showers for half an hour or more). If the car were not wiped clean after the rains, you would see it looks worse than with just the dirt/dust.

Secondly driving on the roads in the rainy season is bound to get the underbody accumulate a lot of mud. I remember banging the bumper of my M800 lightly with my fists to unsettle about a kilo of mud from each side of it. To prevent damage due to the muddy waters seeping into the underside crevices, you would have to hose the underbody of the car as well. Unfortunately, unlike the body wash, the underside can only be cleaned effectively by pressurised water jets.

That's why it takes more water during rains to keep the car clean.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:55   #24
BHPian

I wash the Linea and the Fiesta weekly with a bucket of water each. and for daily use, the Spraything the barber uses to wet your hair works like a dream...and it saves me a lot of water too...Jopusu is next on the agenda though
Old 28th May 2010, 13:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

My car cleaning boy uses less than 5 litre water only for washing the car. But first he removes the dust with a dry cloth & then wipes the car body (including the interiors) with a damp cloth the remaining water is thrown on the rims.

Thus, I am not as guilty-conscious (pun intended, no offences) as compared to few others who use garden hose to spray litres of water to remove the dust & grime.
Old 28th May 2010, 13:20   #26
BHPian

You have got useful tips already. In addition to that i would like to say it all depends on patience and presence of mind. Does it sounds odd? Yes it will, but in reality its not. You can save water and money. Just use a cloth to cleanse simple dusts. If you prefer water, then presence of mind comes to play, it might be too childish to explain but since you are concerned about water scarcity (where most are not), i can bet you can make it in your brain.
Old 28th May 2010, 13:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
In our apartment, the water gets recycled and is used for such cleaning so I've not bothered how much water my cleaning guy has been using. I think most of the apartments in Bangalore have this recycling water facility.
it is not wise to clean the car using recycled water which may contain high amounts of chlorine. Not washing your car for some days won't do any harm, but daily washing with water having high chemical content can cause irreversible damages.
Old 28th May 2010, 13:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
My car cleaning boy uses less than 5 litre water only for washing the car. But first he removes the dust with a dry cloth & then wipes the car body (including the interiors) with a damp cloth the remaining water is thrown on the rims.
It's interesting to know that car companies advise not to use a dry cloth to wipe the glass areas. Wiping off dust or dirt from the windshield by using a dry cloth is likely to scratch the glass and may become troublesome in the long run.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

I wash my car once a week. Daily cleaning is taken care by JOPASU car duster.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Half a bucket daily is sufficient along with 2 cloths ..one dry and another wet .Having a garage cover and a basement parking also helps in keeping the car clean.

I liked the idea of using the AC water ...though i doubt we could do it in apartments .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks