Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 12:31   #1
BHPian

Ford to Hike Figo price

Bad news Figo fans
If latest news is to be believed, Ford is all set to increase the price of Figo. The increase might be in the range of 7000 to 10000.

Here are the articles on the same.
Ford to raise Figo's price from June | Indian Car and Bike Blog

Ford to hike Figo price from next week

The dealer (Lathangi Ford Bangalore) also confirmed the same though they dont know the actual rise.

Already tight fight is now slightly favorable for the Swift!

To justify the above statement see the comparison (Which I had posted in a different thread based on old price):-

Figo Exi TDCi
- Front Power Windows Included
- CD Player Included
- Central Locking Included
- Bangalore Onroad Price 5.71
- Sunfilm (Add 3k)
- Total Cost 5.75 (ADD 10k to this as per price hike)

Swift LDi
- Bangalore onroad price 5.81
- Central Locking (Add 5k)
- Front Power Windows (Add 7.5k)
- CD Player (Add 12.5k)
- Sunfilm (3k)
- Total Cost 609000

Swift VDi
- Bangalore onroad price 6.28
- Sunfilm (Add 3k)
- Total Cost 6.31

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 1st June 2010 at 12:33. Reason: typo
Old 1st June 2010, 12:47   #2
BHPian

For me, Figo is definitely an underpriced car when you compare to what other car makers are offering. In terms of VFM the only cars which comes close to the Figo is the Punto( issues like Poor A.S.S, Plastics, Not very handy within the city not withstanding) or the Vista(issues like Tata image, Poor A.S.S, Handling not good etc) . This is validated by how the sales numbers of punto from launch till today has reportedly been already been overtaken by the Figo.

However Ford also has a history in terms of expensive A.S.S etc. So while the car is underpriced, as a total ownership experience i don't think the figo is underpriced. Ford should have waited till they reach the threshhold level of 50k cars on the roads (not in terms of bookings) before they increase the prices. The Figo is not established in the market in any sense right now and as far as i can see Ford is shooting itself in it's foot.
Old 1st June 2010, 20:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford is following the manufacturers. The pricing first is introductory pricing which will later be revised siting various reasons like increase in the input cost, etc
Old 2nd June 2010, 06:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a standard ploy all manufacturers, not only auto but others as well, employ.

@Sam_sant2005: How is Swift winning when it is still 15k more expensive than the Figo. Also please remember Swift DDiS is a Rattle King after some time
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is a standard ploy all manufacturers, not only auto but others as well, employ.

@Sam_sant2005: How is Swift winning when it is still 15k more expensive than the Figo. Also please remember Swift DDiS is a Rattle King after some time

Agree about rattling, but dude (Its my personal view), I feel in terms of engine and refinement, 'the engine of the moment' (still) is the Fiat Quadrajet in Swift. Remember its a generation ahead of the TDCi in Figo.

Same thing on Vista, Punto or elsewhere is not this interesting, you know why, Maruti has done the best job in Swift. Even in Ritz the tuning is not perfect! What I have heard is that Maruti has used all top quality injectors, precision tuning and stuff along with the engine and hence got so much for that car.
And for that 'feel' and refinement you gotto give special marks to Swift. So only Swift at 15k more than a Figo is better IMHO. Figo is good agree, but car enthusiasts like me, love the Swift. And Swifts suspension has been made slightly softer than earlier ones (which was again my concern).
I test drove i20, punto, i10, vista, ritz, figo and finally the Swift and hence i didnt have much problem in deciding the king of diesel!
Figo for aged and Swift for young!

PS: Iam booking my Swift today
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Agree about rattling, but dude (Its my personal view), I feel in terms of engine and refinement, 'the engine of the moment' (still) is the Fiat Quadrajet in Swift. Remember its a generation ahead of the TDCi in Figo.

Same thing on Vista, Punto or elsewhere is not this interesting, you know why, Maruti has done the best job in Swift. Even in Ritz the tuning is not perfect! What I have heard is that Maruti has used all top quality injectors, precision tuning and stuff along with the engine and hence got so much for that car.
And for that 'feel' and refinement you gotto give special marks to Swift. So only Swift at 15k more than a Figo is better IMHO. Figo is good agree, but car enthusiasts like me, love the Swift. And Swifts suspension has been made slightly softer than earlier ones (which was again my concern).
I test drove i20, punto, i10, vista, ritz, figo and finally the Swift and hence i didnt have much problem in deciding the king of diesel!
Figo for aged and Swift for young!

PS: Iam booking my Swift today
Firstly I'm not a Dude

Second, I don't want to get into the debate of which is a better as it is a subjective decision. I do agree the FIAT MJD is a gem of an engine. But I still feel that as a whole package Figo is absolute VFM.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:53   #7
BHPian

I heard about the price hike about two weeks ago, when I got a TD of the Figo Diesel. The salesperson, a Mr. Aneesh of Kairali Ford, told me that the price increase was expected to be in the region of 15K OTR in Trivandrum, Kerala.

He told me that the increased price would have to be paid even if I booked right then, because of the 45 days waiting period. Unless of course, I paid in full, in which case, there would be no waiting. The car would be delivered the next day. Crooks.

I told him that I needed to finance, and thus wasn't able to pay full amount upfront. I'd already booked the Indigo CS LX, so decided to go with that instead.

Note from Support: Personal attacks on fellow members are NOT allowed.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd June 2010 at 13:00. Reason: Note inline
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:56   #8
BHPian

I prefer the tdci to the multijet any day for my kind of running predominantly city/crowded highway. Believe me i am not old and i have used both the multijet and tdci a lot .
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
He told me that the increased price would have to be paid even if I booked right then, because of the 45 days waiting period. Unless of course, I paid in full, in which case, there would be no waiting. The car would be delivered the next day. Crooks.
I've booked the car on the 31st of May and as per the SE am still getting the 'introductory pricing' benefit. Apparently it was meant to promote the car for for 3 months from the date of introduction and is valid till the 31st of May.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:27   #10
BHPian

I agree that this classification of Ford for old, Swift for young is childish. I mean, if you look at it that way, Swift is already five-six years old, whereas Figo is brand new. Ford service is uncharted and dangerous territory, while Maruti service is proven and reliable. So which option do you think is riskier?

IMO it's only fair that the introductory price be given to everyone who books the car too. I was willing to give a downpayment of 1 lac, and the processing would have taken a week at most. Still he was not willing to confirm delivery. I think that he was trying to sell me the 'exclusivity' angle, Figo being a new car and all.

From the start, the sales experience was less than satisfactory at Kairali Ford. I went to the showroom, and stood around for ten minutes, and no one even took notice, everyone being busy on their cellphones. I finally got hold of a lady in the office, and told her that I was interested in buying the Figo. After waiting ten more minutes, somone approached me and told me that some other guy would show me the car shortly. That turned out to be Mr. Aneesh.

Aneesh was courteous, and showed me the EXi model that was lying in the yard. Later, he gave me a brochure+price list, and when I asked for a TD of the diesel model, informed me that it would be a couple of days till the TD car arrived. I left my number and he assured me that he would call me as soon as the TD car arrived.

A week later, I saw the TD car in Technopark, and called Aneesh up to ask about my TD. He seemed completely oblivious of my request, but agreed to give me a TD after about ten calls. The TD was satisfactory, but overall, the attitude seemed to be that they were doing me a favour by letting me buy their car.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2010 at 17:41. Reason: Enough on the "dude" matter.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:57   #11
BANNED

The Figo was bound to get more expensive. It was launched with a killer price tag to make space for itself in the market, which it has.
Now, Ford needs to begin making it viable as well.
Even after the price hike, I m pretty sure that it will still be priced competitively though.

Coming to quality, it beats the Swift any day as an overall package and the sales response makes it evident.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:10   #12

Price hike ?!! the figo has just been launched and selling close to 10,000 in a very short time does not justify the hike. I have booked mine on 15th April and awaiting delivery, does this mean I have to shell a couple of thousands more for my dealers lethargy ! come on Ford be a sport !
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:27   #13
BANNED

Wait for limited edition of the figo
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:45   #14
BHPian

I have a different take on this.

While the Figo was launched at a very attractive price point, it does come with its own set of compromises. What works for the Figo is that it strikes the best balance between feature tradeoff (it offers excellent space and safety features) and price.

I think it'd make immense sense for Ford to offer a higher variant (or maybe an add-on pack, so they can cater to existing Titanium owners too) with a more complete feature set (fog lamps, rear PW, Alloys and maybe ACC and split folding rear seats) at about 40K more.

However, simply jacking up the prices will trigger a lot more comparisons with other cars (Punto / Vista / Swift / Ritz, depending on the customer profile) and the questions about missing features, A.S.S. (esp. in comparison to Maruti) and overall VFM will get louder - Manufacturers like Maruti will definitely move to cash in on such an opportunity and reclaim lost ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Figo was bound to get more expensive. It was launched with a killer price tag to make space for itself in the market, which it has.
Now, Ford needs to begin making it viable as well.
Even after the price hike, I m pretty sure that it will still be priced competitively though.

Coming to quality, it beats the Swift any day as an overall package and the sales response makes it evident.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Wait for limited edition of the figo
??? Any truth in this? What about the price?

I know of a special edition of Figo given by dealers CURRENTLY which is priced in between Exi and Zxi with Alloy wheels, leather seat covers, side beedings, body coloured handles and mirrors.

Bangalore Onroad May Price
Exi TDCi 5.71
Exi TDCi Dealer Special Edition 5.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
I have a different take on this.

While the Figo was launched at a very attractive price point, it does come with its own set of compromises. What works for the Figo is that it strikes the best balance between feature tradeoff (it offers excellent space and safety features) and price.

I think it'd make immense sense for Ford to offer a higher variant (or maybe an add-on pack, so they can cater to existing Titanium owners too) with a more complete feature set (fog lamps, rear PW, Alloys and maybe ACC and split folding rear seats) at about 40K more.

However, simply jacking up the prices will trigger a lot more comparisons with other cars (Punto / Vista / Swift / Ritz, depending on the customer profile) and the questions about missing features, A.S.S. (esp. in comparison to Maruti) and overall VFM will get louder - Manufacturers like Maruti will definitely move to cash in on such an opportunity and reclaim lost ground.
Rear PW may never come to Figo. Whats the point in fitting PW to a window which rolls down only 45%

For many who don't know the reason for that => Its because the rear wheel arch of Figo is so badly designed (wheelbase compromise) that it doesnt allow the glass to slide full down.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2010 at 18:05. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.

Most Viewed