Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:34   #31
BHPian

Re: "18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem

The esteem will never fade away from my memory since it was in my family during the days I was still learning to drive. A 1995 model carb type, Dad had to sell it off in 2006 at 1,85,000 kms after some mechanical problems started creeping in. But till that age, we used to frequently take it for long road trips and have never faced a break down in the middle of the road. The reliability was something I really admired.

Even though it's 4 years since we sold it, you can see I still have it in my team-bhp Avatar.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Whereupon my dad loudly banged the table (this was post a few cocktails, mind you) and swore that he "would rather be dead in an Esteem than crippled in any other honky-tonk car!"
Thats a really good one .

I still have my Esteem Vxi MPFI. It's a lovely car , I dont think we would sell it ever. It's less powerful compared to the new car's now, even build quality is ages behind others. So what ? It still drives like a dream, got a peppy engine and that gear shift is still smooth. The AC works fine too(After fixing a leak).

Even my friends used to be amazed at how great this little car drives compared to the big cars they had at that time. I don't know if there is any other car that can really match the Esteems reputation. And mind you no other car in the Maruti stable even now quite can match it. The only other car that came close/ better was the Baleno.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Add me to the list. My Esteem will be turning 8 this October and I give a cold stare at people at home who call it old. It is still in pristine condition and I swear to retain it the same way in the years to come. To me, one car that can never get out-dated in terms of its styling is the Esteem. And, yes I never intend to sell it, ever !
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 17:27   #34

This one has turned 10 & a half with 101700 kms on the clock ....
Attached Thumbnails
"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-profile-front.jpg  

Attached Images

sandeep_sukhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 20:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
Why did you change the hood + headlamp setup?

The amber side-indicators and type-2 hood would look equally good, thereby also maintaining originality!

This colour looks great!
What colour was it originally?
Old 24th May 2011, 23:01   #36
BANNED

Ah my esteems about 15.5 years old now..will probably sell it off after a year or so..surely will miss it
Old 25th May 2011, 11:45   #37

@ Marcus - The Colour is the original (Riveira Red) only the bumpers are repained rest is as it came from Maruti Udhyog (in fact better after the kilos of wax I must have put on her over the years). The bonnet is original only the grill and the headlamps and side indicators were changed to improve her looks ;-)
Old 17th February 2012, 11:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
That is one beautiful looking car. My friend is buying a '97 model from Kottayam in a few days and I can't wait I have already promised him that I will buy it from him after he sells it after an year (thats his plan) .
Old 17th February 2012, 15:12   #39
BHPian

I'll add myself to the list too. I have a '98 Esteem LX with a free flow, MSD and a K&N filter. I have just recently, upgraded to a 'pre-worshipped' Civic (inspired by GTO, no doubt) but haven't been able to get myself to sell the Esteem yet. Everytime i drive it i just revel in the 'perfect' driving position and the 'quickness'. It's still brilliant to drive, responds fantastically and is still trouble free after 1,50,000 kms. It has never ever given me any trouble. All i have done is routine maintenance. She has given me immense driving pleasure over the years. It is truly a 'driver's car' in every sense of the word. Alas, i cannot afford to keep two cars, so i'm going to have to get realistic and let her go. :(
'98 Esteem LX anyone ??
revvhed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 12:35   #40
BHPian

Hi, let me add myself as well to this list. Did not come across this thread earlier. First, Sidindica, very nicely written script. I have been in love with esteem since long. I have owned this beauty since 2004 and its still going strong. I own silky silver esteem vxi. Very very reliable, hasn't given me any problem whatsoever till now. Amazing engine. It has been a delight drving this piece of machinery. Offered many nice features against its competition then. And was quite peppy. Have touched 155 kmph on pune mumbai expressway just to see its limits. Leaving you with a pic. "18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-pic.jpg
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 15:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderfully endearing words, Sid. Thank you.

Nickname - Herbie. (after the Disney movie series)

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.43.34_2.jpg

Date of Birth (rolled out of factory) - 5th July, 1998.

Age - 13 years and counting.

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.43.54_2.jpg

Came into our life - June 24th, 2000.

First owner - upgraded to Honda City (2000 model).

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.44.04_2.jpg

Kms clocked - 1,64,800+.

Added - nothing so far. She is how she came into our life.

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.44.16_2.jpg

Shoes - Bridgestone B350 155/80/R13 radials on Aura alloys.

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.44.59_2.jpg

Special remarks - Dad's favorite (he calls her "Junglee Baba" lovingly). He retired in 2008 but still drives Herbie extensively.

Proven, reliable no-nonsense workhorse. Superb pull in 1st and 2nd gears, puts some more premium cars to shame. Best for in-city pottering and for highway stints, specially on straight, even roads. Only grouse - Ground clearance is low-slung: makes you feel you are running on the road's surface.

"18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem-20120218-14.43.43_2.jpg

The love of our life so far.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 19:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

The first time i saw M1000 was in 1992 when RTO had started with current numbering system (MH-01,MH-02 etc )

I thought it was an imported car since there was nothing comparable on indian roads and the numbering was alien to me.

Dark blue made it look premium.

I have very sweet memories of my uncles 96 Black VX esteem.
He wanted to sell it , and my friend ( Slick ) was looking for a 2nd hand car.

This was an excuse which allowed me to have fun for 1 week after which uncle got it back from me!
It was a radical change for someone driving a padmini.

In meanwhile, Slick who initially wanted to buy a Wagon R/Zen ended up buying a 2003 Mpfi one.

I do have some pics which i will surely post here

Last edited by silverado : 18th February 2012 at 19:22.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 19:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti Esteem was a revolution of a car for us.

It had features that were unheard of. The power, refinement, efficiency and reliability of the 1.3l engine was another plus.

I remember a full 4 page newspaper advertorial that came along with The Hindu one Sunday or Saturday morning. Always wished we could own one but we could not afford a car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 20:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

In March 2007 we were going to book a Maruti Esteem LXi and then my dad's friend informed us that it is going to be completely discontinued. I still have the quotation from the sales guy with me. It was a great car, I still remember how I was drooling over a VXi in the showroom and was fascinated by the power antenna. At that time we could only afford LXi variant but after the news of discontinuation we bought a WagonR LXi which was launched just few months back.

Very nice thread sidindica, I have the same feeling for the Honda City as you have for the Esteem. Someday I will also bring up similar thread for Honda City.

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th February 2012 at 20:08.
Old 18th February 2012, 21:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

We have a July 2007 Esteem LXi. Dad used it for a couple of years in Ooty and it now does duty in Coorg. Brilliant vehicle which I love driving on the Coorg Bangalore highway due to its handling.

My biggest grouse is the low GC which is an absolute nightmare given the moon surface roads we have in Coorg in particular and Karnataka in general.

I don't intend to sell it ever. My plan is to keep it as my toy once I can upgrade to a better car for my folks and mod my baby esteem to the max

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks