Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:41   #61
BHPian

Re: "18 till I die" - A tribute to the Maruti Esteem

Wow, I wish I'd come across this thread earlier. A pre worshipped 2006 Esteem vxi is my 1st car as well. I got it in 2010, with only 20k on the odo. Though I'm afraid I've only added about 30k to the score in these 8 years.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:30   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this video of the Esteem launch:

Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 00:20   #63
BHPian

I was recently in a cab that was being driven behind an Esteem, and I was surprised to see the rear suspension. Its a multi-link suspension if I'm not wrong. Today cars costing over 20+L don't have it. (Kia Seltos, Tata Harrier, Hyundai Elantra etc.) One true flagship car!
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 00:32   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I was recently in a cab that was being driven behind an Esteem, and I was surprised to see the rear suspension. Its a multi-link suspension if I'm not wrong. Today cars costing over 20+L don't have it. (Kia Seltos, Tata Harrier, Hyundai Elantra etc.) One true flagship car!
That’s the case with most sedans those days. Check Hyundai Accent, Lancer etc. you will find multi link rear suspension. Our car market has moved to gadgets and connectivity and left behind these in the process of being a ‘mature market’. Sad but true.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 00:41   #65
GTB
BHPian

I'm too late to this thread. Happy to see all of your experiences with Esteem. When I was a kid, I used to admire this Car. Whenever I see this car, the only thing I get in my head was, its not just a car, its a caaar. Like a Sunny commercial.

On the same line, I searched for a detailed review of this car. Unfortunately, I didn't find it on our Forum. I found another interesting thread 'What if Team-BHP reviewed cars from the '90s?'.

Pride owners of Esteem, could you please write a detailed review of this car. I would love to know more about this car.

Also, wouldn't it sound great if Team-Bhp writes Official reviews on iconic cars of 90's?
Old 14th January 2020, 07:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

This was my dream car in childhood. I kept telling my father he should've bought this instead of the Zen, and he kept telling me that's nonsense. I still don't know which one of us was right .

I especially like the unique steering wheel shape, and that dashboard design was modern and unique then (early 90s).
Old 14th January 2020, 08:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

A real cult car. When I first saw the Maruti 1000 (which later became the Esteem) I was just blown away. A family friend had purchased a second hand esteem in the maroon colour, and I still vividly remember by first ride in it. The chilling AC, the noiseless petrol engine and the smooth way in which it drove, and of course, the pick-up and power delivery. All these were unknown in those times of Fiats and Ambassadors, and left an indelible impression on my mind.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:15   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
A real cult car. When I first saw the Maruti 1000 (which later became the Esteem) I was just blown away.
I was blessed to see the 1000 in a dark blue colour which my neighbour owned during my school days. That surely is a ‘lady of everybody’s dreams’. The lines are still elegant in this age too. I think most old cars have a better design which is timeless just like the old songs. I still can’t take my eyes of a Mitsubishi Lancer when I see one going along the road.
Old 14th January 2020, 12:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Esteem, the car I learnt driving on. It was our first family car. We picked a 97 Year model VX (Mind you not VXi, no power steering here, though never realised the absence of one) in 2002. It served us decently well. We sold it in 2008.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks