Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:34   #16
BHPian

While I wouldn't deny the similarity with the Xylo, I somehow feel its a feeble attempt to make it look like the Renault Espace.

GM to launch Chevrolet MPV by end 2011-espace-1.jpg
GM to launch Chevrolet MPV by end 2011-espace-2.jpg
GM to launch Chevrolet MPV by end 2011-espace-3.jpg
Just wish the interiors could be the same too
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The GM also has rights to the 1.3MJD?
Actually, GM and Fiat have the rights and Suzuki got it through their alliance with GM (Opel)

(JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just give me the chevrolet grill to it and I'll buy it happily.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The C pillar and back side looks like Xylo . I dont know who copied whom ?
The Side and rear profile pictures of this MUV instantly reminds of the Mahindra Xylo.

I feel the 1.3 Multijet engine with 75bhp will be underpowered for this vehicle, especially at revs below 2000 RPM with that Turbo lag.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd June 2010 at 16:13.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Just give me the chevrolet grill to it and I'll buy it happily.
Agree, the same body with the famous Chevy grille would do wonders to its looks
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

GM did have rights to the 1.3 MJD but this hasnt reflected in any of their present cars let alone this chinese one. Also if this car is anywhere close to the size of the Innova, the 1.3 MJD will not do.

Whay cant GMI engineer the existing Isuzu engine in the Tavera to take a common rail pump, its a direct injection engine as it is and is made in India.
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Certainly looks better than the Xylo. However, that's not saying much and if they can price it at Xylo levels with a reasonably competitive engine, it might be lapped up by the tour operators.

The Tavera is already quite popular with them, GM already has a pretty sizeable customer base (in the Tavera) and hence service issues shouldn't be very serious.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
A company giving a better product at a lesser price deserves the money, no matter if its based out of China or Timbuktu or JhumriTalaiya.
The sticker price may be lesser. But the long term cost for India as a nation is going to be much more if we start depending on Chinese. If you need an example, look at the Americans.

The lesser sticker price for Chinese products is due to the Chinese government's involvement and sponsorship (direct/indirect) of businesses there. China being a hostile neighbour, we should be worried.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:51   #24
BHPian

C pillar and back side looks like Xylo. But better than Xylo.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks better tha Xylo to me -- the grill gels better with the front. 1.3MJD !! they better not launch this car then -- cant imagine how this will pull with 5-6 people on board along with the weight of the vehicle. Innova itself with 100bhp+ is known to be underpowered and we are talking about a 90 bhp [VGT] engine for this!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd June 2010 at 16:14.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:17   #26
BHPian

I am sure some of the parts will be redesigned for the Indian market, espicially the grill. GM has a gap in their product line up as the Tavera is phased out(?).

If positioned well, it will boost sales for GM.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there will be much change in the looks when this is launched. I had read somewhere recently that GM's Chinese lineup of MUV and other Commercial vehicles are going to be sold under a separate "Tavera" brand as the company thinks it is quite popular in MUV category. So do not expect a chevy grill on this one atleast.
Old 4th June 2010, 01:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Actually, GM and Fiat have the rights and Suzuki got it through their alliance with GM (Opel)

(JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
That is news. Why havent they used that engine yet? if they would have used that it would certainly bring in volumes for GM.

renault espace is a lovely MPV, the doors on the front is hinged twice so that they can be opened in narrow places.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
While I fully appreciate the patriotism, banning all Chinese manufactured goods is not the best way to express it. Just out of curiousity, let me ask if any of you have any product that has NOT been manufactured fully or partially in China? Cellphones, electronic gadgets, toys, stationery, vehicles, components, computers, storage devices ... anything?
Well I think there is a hell lot of difference between "Goods manufactured in China" and "Chinese goods". The later is what even I'm worried about!!! Not cause its Chinese but cause 'Chinese=Unreliable' or in terms of cars 'Chinese=Unsafe', leave alone overall quality. There is a reason why Chinese cars have no market in US or Europe!!
Old 4th June 2010, 14:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I refer to the chinese MPV brand mentioned in the beginning of this thread not being considered by GM to be sold in US!
Then why buy a Maruti when suzuki offers a whole different product in India from their offerings in US and Europe. Even Tata offered Airbags and ABS on the City Rover in Europe when the Indian Indica had none of these. If these so called national companies give two hoots to our safety, why should we care about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
If money earning is the only motto, then we can throw all our safety to hoots and keep trading anything from China to Timbaktu.If social responsibility is other thing, then we might need to watch out with Chinese. Why did India slap a ban on Chinese made toys if what you are saying is true? Because, the quality and the chemical toxin content was extremely high for the products sent to India

If you are ok with that, I am not!! My 2 cents...I rest my case here.
The discussion here is not the reliability of Chinese made products, but basing a buying decision based on the perception of China as the enemy.
None of us here would suggest buying an unsafe product. But if the product is good and safe (something like Hoover X240), then why be distracted by political war mongering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks