Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:01   #31
BHPian

Fiat has sold 2K odd cars - I must assume that almost 60% of which will be Lineas. So Punto sales should have dropped further since April. I am planning to buy a Punto MJD E+ next month or so, when I am back in India. Now this consistent drop in the Punto sales figures is really alarming. I am thinking that the MJD spares will not be a problem in the near future since its our national engine (please correct me if I am wrong in assuming that the spares of the Swift Diesel etc will fit in the MJD as well), but what about other spares? Is there a big reason to worry (Even if someone says Yes, I guess I would still buy a Punto )? What has been the experiences of existing Palio / Sienna / Petra (etc) owners?
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:25   #32
BHPian

The mods usually post an excel file on the sales figures of every individual model. Waiting for that one.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
it is a good car, a true VFM..but the looks. I don't think many above 25 years of age will like it.
I don't think that's the reason. I'm 28 and even my dad like's the Beat's looks. I agree some may find it odd.

I think the real reason for larger numbers in Figo is that it has a diesel option. I read in some thread that 65% (or was it 70%) of the Figo's sales are *diesel*...

Compare in the TD & initial ownership forum - you'll see that most are TDCi Figos.

Last edited by quadmaniac : 3rd June 2010 at 09:49.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:52   #34
BHPian

Does anyone have a link that gives segment-wise sales break up for May 2010?

The sales of Honda is going down, Honda watch out, get your pricing and service intervals sorted out. Gone are the exploiting days by the name.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Beat is way too funky to be accepted a sane family hatch in most of the Indian families where 1 single hatch is the only car they own. Its fine for a 2nd or a 3rd car where there is lot of young crowd in the family or if its a young family.

Jazz as I have repeated is way too expensive and no amount of select editions can save it other than a price cut.

Figo is doing pretty well for Ford and itself but I really doubt if it can sustain this for a very long time once its 'new launch' tag settles down. Even Beat sold very well when it was newly launched.

Where are the VW figures. It would be interesting to see if VW is able to cope up with the demand. The Vento launch is not very far off and I hope they have these production issues sorted out.

The i10 and swift the best sellers are surely looking more and more dated with every passing day and something needs to be done about their looks surely. Heck the Swift is selling in the same form in which it was launched almost 6 years ago.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:48   #36
BHPian

May Sales figures...

Maruti Suzuki, the leading car maker in India continues to retain its numero uno position in car sales by record breaking 1 lakh cars sales in May 2010 crossing its own 96,650 units sales in Feb 2010. When compared against last year May sales, it is 28% increase.

Hyundai has sold 46,808 cars in May 2010 when compared to 43,624 cars in May 2009.Tata Motors has sold 21,326 cars in May 2010 as against 15,388 cars in May 2009 showing 39% increase in sales.

Fiat India has shown 82% increase in sales, thanks to its Grande Punto and Fiat cars have been sold in 2235 numbers in May 2010 as against the 1227 cars in May 2009. GM has increased its sales by 61%, while Toyota increased its sales by 54% and Mahindra sales increased by 50%.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

I am really curious how reliable this data is because, I am seeing far less number of Figos than say, i20s or Puntos on road. In fact I see many more Sparks too but Spark doesnt seem to figure in top 10 list. Spotting a Figo on road is still a rare occurance (better than Polo though).
This is because Figo got launched just 2 months back where as i20 and Punto were launched more than an year back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

A bit difficult to believe that Figo is outselling cars like Spark and Estilo.
Spark numbers are not that high. I guess its doing less than 5k per month.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The Beat is way too funky to be accepted a sane family hatch in most of the Indian families where 1 single hatch is the only car they own. Its fine for a 2nd or a 3rd car where there is lot of young crowd in the family or if its a young family.

Jazz as I have repeated is way too expensive and no amount of select editions can save it other than a price cut.

Figo is doing pretty well for Ford and itself but I really doubt if it can sustain this for a very long time once its 'new launch' tag settles down. Even Beat sold very well when it was newly launched.

Where are the VW figures. It would be interesting to see if VW is able to cope up with the demand. The Vento launch is not very far off and I hope they have these production issues sorted out.

The i10 and swift the best sellers are surely looking more and more dated with every passing day and something needs to be done about their looks surely. Heck the Swift is selling in the same form in which it was launched almost 6 years ago.

Very hard to believe your comment about Beat's Looks "Sparkled". Since when the funky is out of fashion. I think the most loved Car the "Swift" is funkiest styled vehicle even now. My thinking is Chevrolet Hasn't marketed this vehicle very well. Having a good vehicle is one thing. To be able to Advertised, make it aspiring amongst masses and sales is just another thing.

I thing Chevy has miserably failed on the branding and advertisements of the Beat rather than Product itself. It seems they had become too cocky and they though small campaigns here and there would work. I could see no synchronization or novelty in their ads after that Auto Expo Mania. Damn that Chevy Beat sucks big time.

Hoping Chevy guys realize their mistakes sooner than later or else wait for inevitability.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:41   #39
BHPian

where is the analysis of PCS ? mr. PCS please post your detailed xl sheet !!! waiting
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Very hard to believe your comment about Beat's Looks "Sparkled". Since when the funky is out of fashion. I think the most loved Car the "Swift" is funkiest styled vehicle even now. My thinking is Chevrolet Hasn't marketed this vehicle very well. Having a good vehicle is one thing. To be able to Advertised, make it aspiring amongst masses and sales is just another thing.

I thing Chevy has miserably failed on the branding and advertisements of the Beat rather than Product itself. It seems they had become too cocky and they though small campaigns here and there would work. I could see no synchronization or novelty in their ads after that Auto Expo Mania. Damn that Chevy Beat sucks big time.

Hoping Chevy guys realize their mistakes sooner than later or else wait for inevitability.
Not every one is fan of Funky you know, no matter what kind of a style or fashion statement it may make. At this price range where typical middle class people or retired or middle aged couples are out there to buy their first vehicle, this 'funky' styling may not appeal to all who just want a car for the entire family or to go to office, weekend jaunts to restaurants or a movie or just to ferry children to school. Swift is a far more safer design and is more likely to be accepted in to the mould of a mainstream family car than say a Beat.

No doubt the souped up Beat looked fab in Transformers 2 but I think people will still be wary to get such a funky car into their garages. Its not really how good or bad their advertising campaign was and how good or bad the Beat is compared to the competition. The problem GM has is the general perception of us Indians about GM. Our first choice is Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and if nothing else then GM. I know this coz I did this and so did my friends. But then i have the last laugh when I pay nothing for my maintenance and service bills and they have to cough up a couple of thousand Rupees and then they realize what value for money GM really is.

Beat sales will surely improve again after GM introduces massive discounts and the 3 year cashless ownership plan on it.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:06   #41
BHPian

Looks are extremely subjective. I would suggest we talk about numbers here rather than speculating a car sales based on looks. Remember that a lot of obvious hatches with boots sell extremely well.

IMO for a small hatch, the main deal breaker is pricing + vfm + practicality. Also, a FUD campaign (fear-uncertainity-doubt) spread locally through word of mouth by certain opponent dealers can also cause drop in sales.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Beat sales will surely improve again after GM introduces massive discounts and the 3 year cashless ownership plan on it.
Massive discounts isn't something they do as a routine, only if required. I hope that time doesn't come with the Beat. The 3-year Sachless Ownership thingy should definitely help though. That's GM's ace.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:33   #43
BHPian

Personally I like the beat a lot especially the side profile and ofcourse the interiors. I ve not seen a big beat-design fan around here. There are lots of punto, linea swift and polo admirers but not many beat admirers.The ad campaign shows the beat from up front which is the worst way to look at a beat. The disproportionate jaw and teeth smiles at you. And those skinny tires and chopped of like back does not do anything to hide the huge front.

Some say beat looks like an alien skull.
Check out the fotos below.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2010 Sales Figures-image00361.jpg  

May 2010 Sales Figures-alien20skull20big.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2010, 14:41   #44
BHPian

Charts FIAT CAR SALES in INDIA (2007-2010):

Source: www.carsitaly.net
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I ve not seen a big beat-design fan around here.
Hey, looks like you missed me

Quote:
The disproportionate jaw and teeth smiles at you.
Damn, I love the front from any angle. Especially the front.

BTW this is going off-topic buddy, let's leave the looks aside !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks