Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:54   #1
BHPian

May 2010 Sales Figures

Guys. nice figures. A 3 digit jump in Ford sales, all thanks to success it got through Figo. Honda figures were not mentioned.

Today's Times Of India newspaper
Overdrive: Car sales zoom on fast track

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: New models and favourable interest rates kept the momentum going for car sales in May as demand remained strong.
Maruti, the country’s top carmaker, saw monthly volume crossing the 1 lakh-mark for the first time ever, surpassing the previous monthly sales record in February this year. The company’s sales in May, including exports, stood at 1.02 lakh units against 79,872 units in the same month last year, growing by 28%. Sales in domestic market stood at 90,041 units, up 27% from the 70,785 units sold in the same month last year. New models like the refurbished WagonR and multi-utility WagonR have been keeping the demand high for the company.
Other majors like Hyundai India, Tata Motors, M&M, Ford and General Motors also witnessed strong growth in May. “The industry has started the new fiscal on a good note and against earlier fears that the momentum could slow down, the growth rates have been clearly maintained,” said Rakesh Batra, the head of auto practice at E&Y. Batra said that continued access to lower interest rates and new products gelled well with the positive economic outlook to bring in numbers. “The consumer confidence is high.”
Mayank Pareek, managing executive officer (marketing and sales) of Maruti Suzuki, said demand was likely to remain healthy, though there were a few concerns. “One of the key areas to watch out is the monsoon and how it spreads across the country. Apart from it, the effect of rising inflation on interest rates will be an important factor,” Pareek said.
Industry analysts also attributed the high numbers of May to the hike in road tax in some big markets, including Delhi. “Companies stocked dealers well as people wanted to buy cars before new tax rates come into effect,” a Mumbai-based analyst said.
Two-wheeler sales were also robust in the month as top three players — Hero Honda, Bajaj and TVS — all recorded good numbers.
For Hero Honda, May sales scored a record as numbers stood at 4.35 lakh units, beating the previous best month of 4.15 lakh units achieved in August 2009.

Old 2nd June 2010, 13:44   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
... Honda figures were not mentioned...
Honda Siel reported decline in sales for May. Only car manufacturer to do so.

Honda Siel Cars sales down marginally
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:26   #3
BHPian

TATA Motors passenger vehicle May 2010 sales break up:

Total: 23,489
Tata: 21,326
FIAT: 2,163

Nano: 3,550
Indica: 8,468
Indigo: 6,600
Sumo/Safari: 2,708

Could someone post the break up for FIAT sales?

-PK
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I thought I saw Maruti numbers at 1.02 L (first time crossed above a lac) on UTV Bloomberg.

Awaiting the breakup according to model wise.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the data. Is there any source for knowing model-wise breakup, or top-ten?

I saw in "Motor Vikatan" that Figo is now in top 10. My friend was commenting that these stats are not reliable. I am just wondering if there is any source for these data... to what extent can we believe the car magazines?
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Honda Siel reported decline in sales for May. Only car manufacturer to do so.
I don't think anyone here will be surprised by this. They were the only ones to report a sales decline last month as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I thought I saw Maruti numbers at 1.02 L (first time crossed above a lac) on UTV Bloomberg.

Awaiting the breakup according to model wise.
That includes some 10K odd exports as well. The figures in the first post are domestic sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I saw in "Motor Vikatan" that Figo is now in top 10.
There is a magazine called 'Motor Vikatan?' lol Figo must have sold 6K units so there is a good chance of it being in the top 10.

Last edited by Gilead : 2nd June 2010 at 14:44.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
There is a magazine called 'Motor Vikatan?' lol Figo must have sold 6K units so there is a good chance of it being in the top 10.
Yes, Motor Vikatan is from Anantha Vikatan group. Its a Tamil magazine.

Here's another page that says Figo is in the top 10 (April though): Top 10 Models ? April 2010 | Indian Car Blog - Carazoo.com

But, I remember Motor Vikatan said i10 is second best selling after Alto, whereas carazoo says i10 is third and Swift is second.

I am really curious how reliable this data is because, I am seeing far less number of Figos than say, i20s or Puntos on road. In fact I see many more Sparks too but Spark doesnt seem to figure in top 10 list. Spotting a Figo on road is still a rare occurance (better than Polo though). A bit difficult to believe that Figo is outselling cars like Spark and Estilo.

Also, I wonder if these are stats of booked vehicles or delivered vehicles.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 2nd June 2010 at 15:07.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
1.02L is including exports..what is given here is domestic sales.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:19   #9
BHPian

if exports are added, HMIL numbers almost double up at around 46,800
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, I remember Motor Vikatan said i10 is second best selling after Alto, whereas carazoo says i10 is third and Swift is second.
That may have been in March. In April, the Swift outsold by the i10 by a couple of hundred units. Neck and neck there.

Quote:
I am really curious how reliable this data is because, I am seeing far less number of Figos than say, i20s or Puntos on road. In fact I see many more Sparks too but Spark doesnt seem to figure in top 10 list. Spotting a Figo on road is still a rare occurance (better than Polo though). A bit difficult to believe that Figo is outselling cars like Spark and Estilo.

Also, I wonder if these are stats of booked vehicles or delivered vehicles.
Take a look at the model wise sales figures posted by a BHP-ian in the April thread. The numbers there are reliable. As for what you see on the road, the others have been on sale for far longer than the Figo. The Figo is definitely outselling the i20, Punto, Spark, Beat, A Star and Estilo. It sells 6-7K units a month. It will be even higher when the production constraint is removed in July.

PS: Does 'Motor Vikatan' feature pictures of Nayantara etc draped over cars?
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
PS: Does 'Motor Vikatan' feature pictures of Nayantara etc draped over cars?
thats a good idea..

don't underestimate them,they are the future..
world over english language magazines
and dailies are losing readerships in double digit percentages every year..
wheras regional language mags/dailies are growing very fast.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:40   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Maruti still retains its No.1 tag & moves 100,000 nos !?! WOW !

I was expecting a dip considering all the competition that's been coming its way, (Polo, Beat, I20, Figo etc) can anyone shed light on what each new model launch is affecting ? Wonder how the Etios & Micra are going to perform. hmmm.

Whats happened to the Polo ? I wasnt too impressed by the car :( Doesnt feel like a premium German car at all.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
thats a good idea..

don't underestimate them,they are the future..
world over english language magazines
and dailies are losing readerships in double digit percentages every year..
wheras regional language mags/dailies are growing very fast.
OT: English print is dying a slow death but not readership. Readers have moved online and they aren't willing to shell out as much as they used to for print, that's all. Regional print will follow the same path in the future.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:58   #14
BHPian

Three digit growth in Merc' sales. Does this country rock or what. Like to see how BMW has done.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:06   #15
BHPian

Honda should really think seriously about their pricing strategies otherwise it will slowly fade out of people's memories when they are considering to buy a new car.
Some time back, they were the leaders in every segment they were in, now look whats happened to them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed