Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:00   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Very hard to believe your comment about Beat's Looks "Sparkled". Since when the funky is out of fashion. I think the most loved Car the "Swift" is funkiest styled vehicle even now. My thinking is Chevrolet Hasn't marketed this vehicle very well. Having a good vehicle is one thing. To be able to Advertised, make it aspiring amongst masses and sales is just another thing.

I thing Chevy has miserably failed on the branding and advertisements of the Beat rather than Product itself. It seems they had become too cocky and they though small campaigns here and there would work. I could see no synchronization or novelty in their ads after that Auto Expo Mania. Damn that Chevy Beat sucks big time.

Hoping Chevy guys realize their mistakes sooner than later or else wait for inevitability.
I totally disagree. Swift was never advertised heavily.

Maruti advertises only for products that dont sell well. Swift ads come once in a bluemoon just to remind people that Swift is there incase someone forgets! Recently we had one. but again its off. Contrary estilo, ritz etc lots of ads.

For a car to click, IMHO you don't need much advertisement. Greatest example is the Swift.

Have you ever seen Honda city ads?

Intro ads, yes we need. other than that its the vehicle which proves to the general public.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 3rd June 2010 at 15:08.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:38   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Maruti advertises only for products that dont sell well.
I see a lot of Alto Ads in tv now a days. Doesn't that mean Alto is not selling well.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I see a lot of Alto Ads in tv now a days. Doesn't that mean Alto is not selling well.
yes true but i guess maruti feels someone is trying to compete in the entry level segment. And also as i said its also to remind that alto is still there. ad ll go off soon like swift ads.

PCS where are you ?? waiting for ur excel. Yours is the most valuable excel sheet (ever) for me!!!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 3rd June 2010 at 16:33.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Damn that Chevy Beat sucks big time.
sorry Folks, I meant that Chevy Beat Advertisements sucks. Product to me is a very damn good looking mean machine. I love that Front look and that superbly placed Chevy sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Not every one is fan of Funky you know, no matter what kind of a style or fashion statement it may make.

Swift is a far more safer design and is more likely to be accepted in to the mould of a mainstream family car than say a Beat.

problem GM has is the general perception of us Indians about GM. Our first choice is Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and if nothing else then GM. I know this coz I did this and so did my friends. But then i have the last laugh when I pay nothing for my maintenance and service bills and they have to cough up a couple of thousand Rupees and then they realize what value for money GM really is.

Beat sales will surely improve again after GM introduces massive discounts and the 3 year cashless ownership plan on it.
I agree with you on a lot of above points including the safe desing of swift copied from mini cooper & the value offering bit by chevy vehicles.

IMO swift was out of world design for Indians in 2005 (compare the cars of that era) and probably same is true for Beat in 2010. Lets see whether its the design and performance that works or the safe designs like Figo which runs the risk of becoming dull in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Massive discounts isn't something they do as a routine, only if required. I hope that time doesn't come with the Beat. The 3-year Sachless Ownership thingy should definitely help though. That's GM's ace.
If they that do that, it should be good. Also, they should start offering that Green colour on the car without extra pricing. It keeps giving visibility to the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Personally I like the beat a lot especially the side profile and ofcourse the interiors. I ve not seen a big beat-design fan around here.
I am one of the Biggest fan Myself. This is one Adorable design. Although not something woman like so much you see. It has some curves on the bonnet which gives a look of a moustache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Hey, looks like you missed me
Damn, I love the front from any angle. Especially the front.
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I totally disagree. Swift was never advertised heavily.

Maruti advertises only for products that dont sell well. Swift ads come once in a bluemoon just to remind people that Swift is there incase someone forgets! Recently we had one. but again its off. Contrary estilo, ritz etc lots of ads.

For a car to click, IMHO you don't need much advertisement. Greatest example is the Swift.

Have you ever seen Honda city ads?

Intro ads, yes we need. other than that its the vehicle which proves to the general public.
No Buddy, I didn't mean the Advertisement so much as ads, its the sustained campaign really which works. Word of mouth inclusive. Maruti managed that campaign very well, infact the claims that they laid out with Swift was backed up by the product. Which is why the product sells even now.

In the case of Beat,,, there aren't any claims in the first place in their TVC advertisment . I still think Figo is a very good example how a campaign should be managed. Look at the product which is having lot of weaknesses, not to forget the rear design which is 90% same as fusion but it is still selling. Thats what is an effective campaign.

Last edited by anu21v : 3rd June 2010 at 17:08.
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Beat may look funky, but how good is the engine. I dont think it compares favourably with the likes of the Maruti K series engine or for that matter the Hyundai Kappa. The Ford 1.2 is not too good but the 1.4 Duratorq is a tried, tested and respected powerplant. Figo is also more suitable for a family man with better space.

I am just waiting for Toyota to launch the Etios. It will be the true test and will largely decide which is the big Japanese marque in India. Hopefully the customer will get better service and a bigger bang for his moolah.

I feel that Honda will appeal to the younger crowd while the toyota will appeal to the more staid/ mature set.

Let us see if the VW Vento can spring a surprise. The Polo does not seem to be breaking any sales records as yet.
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Beat may look funky, but how good is the engine. I dont think it compares favourably with the likes of the Maruti K series engine or for that matter the Hyundai Kappa. The Ford 1.2 is not too good but the 1.4 Duratorq is a tried, tested and respected powerplant.
I think when TBHP reviewed the Beat People clearly said, Even if the engine is not as good as Ritz's 1.2 but certainly better then Kappa.

Also as far as i know only three manufacturers Maruti Hyundai and Chevrolets ar having this new tech engines. All other 1.2 L engines vehicles like Punto, Tata Indica, Figo, Polo & micrass are using the last generation of engines, which is the reason why even with the same capacity 1200 CC rating they are much lowered powered engines with lower fuel efficiency numbers.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
3,121 units of its flagship sedan City, 533 premium sedan Civic, 173 units of the luxury Accord, 205 of the hatchback Jazz and 35 units of its sports utility vehicle CR-V

City has come down a bit. Else, it looks ok? 533 Civcs at 16L a piece with petrol is not that bad.
Lower number of sales for city sedan could be because of the Vento effect. Some people who are in market for 10 lakh sedan must be putting their buying plans on hold for Vento (and maybe even the Toyota small car) to be launched (since it is going to compete with city as presumed). Most people who buy city are not first time buyers (they are more likely to be upgrading from a small car) so getting a car might not be very urgent thing and one can wait for few months to have more options. I think City will continue to suffer even if Honda offer big offers.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Beat may look funky, but how good is the engine. I dont think it compares favourably with the likes of the Maruti K series engine or for that matter the Hyundai Kappa. The Ford 1.2 is not too good but the 1.4 Duratorq is a tried, tested and respected powerplant. Figo is also more suitable for a family man with better space.
In a recent test by an auto magazine, the Beat was the quickest to 100 in their acceleration tests and the other contenders were Ritz, Swift, i20, Polo, Punto, Figo and the Fabia. They only tested the petrol mills and the beat was the quickest among these. But in fuel efficiency test it was at the bottom of the pile, only slightly better than the Figo and the Punto petrols.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
In a recent test by an auto magazine, the Beat was the quickest to 100 in their acceleration tests and the other contenders were Ritz, Swift, i20, Polo, Punto, Figo and the Fabia. They only tested the petrol mills and the beat was the quickest among these. But in fuel efficiency test it was at the bottom of the pile, only slightly better than the Figo and the Punto petrols.
any idea about the petrol punto's avg?
Old 4th June 2010, 17:07   #55
BHPian

Ok here it is.
May 2010 Sales Figures-2010may-sales.jpg
Old 4th June 2010, 17:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Thats one hell of a leap for Outlander! 98? Has pushed most of the others behind! Face-Lift has helped and perhaps Rohit Pal's ad has done it? I have to agree with GTO's comments - Brilliant Ad. Looks like hit the right target.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 4th June 2010 at 17:30.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:30   #57
oss
BHPian

Swift is still going strong inspite of all the new launches, and so is DZire. Amazing numbers by i20; it's certainly worth a round of applause.

Civic is fighting back and ANHC is managing to hang in there. Wonder how long they can maintain these numbers, what with the expected launches of Altis Diesel, Vento, Etios etc.

Fortuner sales has boosted the overall segment as a whole. Endy is selling very good numbers and so is Captiva.

Laura & Jetta are bringing in some good numbers for VAG. Come on Ford, bring the Focus quickly.

Last edited by oss : 4th June 2010 at 17:33.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

The Cruzification of the Civic is happening! lol

Linea outsells the Fiesta!? Figo effect?
Old 4th June 2010, 17:52   #59
BHPian

Ford definitely deserves kudo for managing to come out with Figo. However i don't agree with some of the earlier posts that Figo is a mediocre product. It actually comes with a great engine and good space/handling combo in it's diesel avatar and a reasonable engine in it's petrol avatar. I had done reasonable research on all the cars recently for making my buying decision recently and no car in this segement is without drawbacks. Personally i felt that in petrol for a predominant city kind of usage Figo petrol engine is quite good. Swift/Ritz have better engines but they loose out on space and handling respectively to the figo.

For me Figo has sold because it's a great product custom made for the market. I don't think Ford has marketed it too well or anything. The new car feel/hype is definitely not there for this one .My office parking lot already has 3 or 4. Their dealers are also nothing much to write about to put it mildly . The product just sells because it's good.
Old 4th June 2010, 19:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Merc is miles ahead of BMW this month - any special reason?

Also - Is elantra still selling???
Closed Thread

Most Viewed