Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 19:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

blackasta, BMW is not selling the 5 currently and which is why until September you will not see a lot of 5 in terms of sale as they are moving onto the F10 and it is only in December 2010 when you will see the entire lineup complete with the 520d coming in in Q12011, so until then Mercedes-Benz will have a upper hand on that segment but believe me the F10 will catch it so well by the end of their life cycles the F10 will at least have 1.5 more number of cars then the W212.

Also nice to see the C-class go up so well apparently it is the CGI motor which has caused a lot of interest and the forthcoming 250 CDI with 7G & 250 CGI should only help it boost the image and also next year it will get a face lift so I think Mercedes-Benz has the C well under control until 2012 when the new 3 is out.

S-Class once again is just unbeatable every time I sit with BMW guys I keep asking why not assemble the 7 here? Not once have I got a reasonable answer and at this pace its only 2 more years when the new S comes out, so I guess Mercedes-Benz only issue remains the E-Class which they can perhaps try make up for by adding some extra equipment.

I'm truly surprised to see AUDI sales hardly a match for BMW/Mercedes I mean besides the SUV's there is nothing much to talk about for AUDI in terms of sales or is the LED effect finally fading away? 0 for A8 is really low considering the Phaeton has 2 cars being sold? Nor do I think Audi will manage much with the new A8, I think they need to bank on a lot more then just showing off LED's in their headlamp clusters, I cannot believe an uncle of mine bought the A4 and when I asked why not the C or the 3, his answer was they don't have the LED's!

Also nice to see Polo's numbers, I think it's a brilliant hatch let down only by lack of some important features and a bigger engine. i20 surprises me always and mostly I only end up seeing the higher up variants on the road.

Regards,
Old 4th June 2010, 19:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Skoda octavia-0,although they did sell 36 l&ks.So looks like the end of the road for the mighty octavia.This car has quite a story to tell.
Sid , a tribute?
Old 4th June 2010, 20:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I had done reasonable research on all the cars recently for making my buying decision recently and no car in this segement is without drawbacks. Personally i felt that in petrol for a predominant city kind of usage Figo petrol engine is quite good. Swift/Ritz have better engines but they loose out on space and handling respectively to the figo.

For me Figo has sold because it's a great product custom made for the market. I don't think Ford has marketed it too well or anything. The new car feel/hype is definitely not there for this one .My office parking lot already has 3 or 4. Their dealers are also nothing much to write about to put it mildly . The product just sells because it's good.
I totally second your view on Figo. Figo Diesel is probably the best diesel hatch and Figo Petrol is also reasonably good car in itself. Figo petrol though not scorcher or has the best FE figures has so many other positives that the two negatives can be overlooked by someone who just wants a decent practical petrol hatch.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:27   #64
J.Ravi

Fiat Linea continues to maintain 1100 units per month. After launching 1.4 Tjet, the figure may go up substantially.

Old 4th June 2010, 20:57   #65
BHPian

Just 35 CRVs?? Well that is shocking. I though the CRV was India's favorite SUV. Hats off to Toyota for turning the SUV market upside down.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:58   #66
mkh
Senior - BHPian

A few things from last 2-3 months trends:
Clearly ford has hit its own product. Figo is eating into fiesta territory and also into the Ikon. I do not see any other hatches having taken a major hit or lost sales momentum because of the Figo, as the swift still rules and the i20 is showing strong numbers. Hyundai is clearly very very happy and kudos to them for 2 super launches , the "i"s. Punto is another sad story in fiats history, linea is the saving grace to some extent.( as i feel they both deserve to sell more, punto espeically)
Amongst the entry level hatch beat has taken a beating from the initial hype, but whats with the wagon R- never say die!!
This and on the other hand looks like honda says- let the jazz die rather than cut the price!
Verna outsells the SX4! The new SX4 did not really take off looks like, though the verna has 2 offerings which do give it an edge in overall numbers. Wonder if maruti can pull of another Swift D like miracle in this segment?
GM has come back and with a bang with the cruze- a diesel car outsells all the rest by a far margin is amazing indeed! Honda is getting beaten black and blue, what do they really have to say for themselves except for the city?? Accord and Civic are far far behind, wonder whats the think tank really coming up with( hope its a price cut on the city and jazz)
Message to honda- give VFM and stop playing the brand name game, if they lose a little margin on their cars and lower price even a little, i am SURE they will gain a lot of market share. Maybe for them its an ego issue to lower prices?

Last edited by mkh : 4th June 2010 at 20:59.
Old 4th June 2010, 21:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Figo is eating into fiesta territory and also into the Ikon. I do not see any other hatches having taken a major hit or lost sales momentum because of the Figo, as the swift still rules and the i20 is showing strong numbers.
Lets put it this way, Figo has created its own market. So many of us had dreamt of a Swift DDIS ZDI. But kudos to Ford for providing us a sheer VFM. One thing Ford has to keep in mind is that lot of negative feedback of FE and price hike MIGHT just temp few buyers to stretch their budget and opt for i20 Sportz version or even a Polo CL/TL.

Last edited by karanraheja : 4th June 2010 at 21:32.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Way to go FORD. Your little FIGO has beaten Ritz,Estilo and A Star in sales. Much deserved too.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Personally I like the beat a lot especially the side profile and ofcourse the interiors. I ve not seen a big beat-design fan around here. There are lots of punto, linea swift and polo admirers but not many beat admirers.The ad campaign shows the beat from up front which is the worst way to look at a beat. The disproportionate jaw and teeth smiles at you. And those skinny tires and chopped of like back does not do anything to hide the huge front.
Some say beat looks like an alien skull.
Check out the fotos below.
The only part of beat that looks average is the stock tail lamps and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Beat may look funky, but how good is the engine. I dont think it compares favourably with the likes of the Maruti K series engine or for that matter the Hyundai Kappa. The Ford 1.2 is not too good but the 1.4 Duratorq is a tried, tested and respected powerplant. Figo is also more suitable for a family man with better space.
Let us see if the VW Vento can spring a surprise. The Polo does not seem to be breaking any sales records as yet.
There are a lot of problems in beat. Drivability ok but not in the league of swift, i10. Rear seats not the perfect place to be seated. Not so good in handling. But considering the asking price things are not that bad.
But yes it does provide you a concept car feel (both in and out) for a nominal price.
As far as I know vento is a 1.6L. Hope it provides enough grunt. And priced reasonably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Lets put it this way, Figo has created its own market. So many of us had dreamt of a Swift DDIS ZDI. But kudos to Ford for providing us a sheer VFM. One thing Ford has to keep in mind is that lot of negative feedback of FE and price hike MIGHT just temp few buyers to stretch their budget and opt for i20 Sportz version or even a Polo CL/TL.
Figo diesel is the only VFM hatch other than indica. It does provide enough space and torque. It was bound to be sucessful.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Talk about global recession. :P But the Indian Auto scene is changing for sure with Smaller brands finding takers.

Alto breaks the 25K barrier. But A-star sales are way low. Also looking at competition Spark and Beat dont seem to be great sellers.

Punto crosses 1000 cars milestone after a 3 month gap. And while Punto might not be able to match Swift sales, Linea can offset SX4. But Polo has a killing start in comparison.

Logan sales finally rise marginally, thanks to the huge price cut. If given the right ingredients, logan might just click again.

Cruze takes GM to the top afterall. But will they be able to survive? Corolla CNG has just come up and Toyota is not going to sit silently. Civic, Laura and Jetta dont have the strength to cut it anymore.

Sad to see Cedia dead. Though outdated Cedia is an excellent competition to NHC, Linea, Verna and Optra.

Why are Sonata Sales clubbed differently?

If Palio is not considered, Jazz is at the bottom. Is Honda going the Mitsubishi way? City sales are still strong though.

Outlander sales revival might just bring in customers to Mitsubishi showrooms. I am sure discontinuing Lancer and Pajero might actually increase HM sales.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:56   #71
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite surprising to see that X6 sells thrice as much the X5.
Great numbers by the i20 and the Figo.
Old 5th June 2010, 06:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Great numbers there by the Alto, i10, Swift, Figo & i20 as usual. GM seems to have lost the plot with both the Beat and the Spark posting lower numbers. IMO, these two, along with the Punto have been most affected by the Figo. The Swift & i20 are continuing unabated as before.

MB is proving that they are no slouch and they seem to have taken their loss of the lead to BMW in 2009 quite seriously. That's going to be one heck of a contest which I would love to watch closely throughout the year.

As much as I love to criticize Honda for their unfair pricing & features, I am not able to digest an awesome car like Civic losing the lead to Corolla & now Cruze. I hope Honda will bounce back quickly and strongly.
Old 5th June 2010, 09:24   #73
J.Ravi

Honda Jazz's number is pathetic. Honda Civic [533] is selling more than double of Honda Jazz [205]. I do not know what is going to be the stratagy of Honda Siel.

Old 5th June 2010, 10:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

I'm only too happy to see the Cruze beat the crap out of the rest... Whattttttt a car !! I think GM deserves the success. And hey, what is up with the Outlander? Another car I'm a big fan of which never clicked, suddenly it's selling eh. Good to see that too.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

Octavia-0??
Skoda L&K-36?
is it for Octy?

Fortuner is outselling the Safari
Elantra-Ahemmmmm-1??
is it still selling?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed