Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 03:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

The graph is actually very useful. Thanks Gaddiwale.
Like you mentioned, the i20 seems to be going from strength to strength. It's also interesting to note the Indica's numbers, mainly because they have been showing a downward trend for the last couple of months.

The Vista is an underrated car, and I hope that as Tata keeps updating it, it'll be more successful.
Old 6th June 2010, 03:37   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Not to forget, New WagonR and Beat along with i10 are the tall boy design, they start in the same pricing range and come with single Engine - Petrol, so these are perfect substitute to each other.
The highly praised design of the Beat has not been accepted by the general public IMO. Its a love-it-or-hate-it design! Outside of team-bhp, I have met more people who hate it rather than love it.

Also, the car does not look as good as in pics! There are some angles that make the car look really weird (Headlamps from the side, for example)! Sales might improve with the launch of a diesel variant, but it wont match the mass appeal of cars like i10/ Swift/ Figo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
But how Palio is up there?
Cars manufactured before April 2010 are allowed to be registered. Palio had its clearance sale recently with huge discounts!

Also, please note that these figures include sales from outside the metros where BS4 norms are not applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
1. Maruti Alto - sold an all time high of 25340 units
2. Same true for Maruti Swift too with 12760 units
Same with Dzire as well, i guess? It has sold 9335 units!

Imagine the cash earned by Swift + Dzire! Swift twins have sold more than 22000 cars, and thats almost near Alto territory.
Old 6th June 2010, 08:57   #93
BHPian

General Motors India sales grow 61%

61% growth in May 2010, good going GM

The May 2010 sales comprise of
2,812 units of the Chevrolet Spark,
2,296 units of Chevrolet Beat,
1,418 units of the Chevrolet Tavera,
854 units of the Cruze,
396 Units of Chevrolet Aveo,
312 units of Chevrolet Aveo U-VA ,
84 units of the Chevrolet Captiva and
53 units of Chevrolet Optra

Source:

General Motors India sales grow 61%-Financial Times-Features-The Economic Times
Old 6th June 2010, 09:04   #94
BHPian

A lot of ANHC sales are attributed to leasing. Personal buyer numbers may be much lesser.
Old 6th June 2010, 09:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
4. As a manufacturer - Honda should also reviewed it's product lines and pricing. None of the Honda products comes close to the market leader in the respective segments -

a. Jazz (205) - Leader Swift (12760)
b. City (3121) - Leader Dzire (9335)
c. Civic (533) - Leader Cruze (854)
d. Accord (173) - Leader Jetta (347)
e. CR-V (35) - Leader Fortuner (969)
HONDA has clearly got the pricing wrong though I disagree with a couple of your market leaders.

City(3121) is by far the segment leader and its unfair to compare it against the DZire which is around 4L cheaper.So City competes more with Linea,SX4,Fiesta,Verna and is double that of its nearest competitor.Dzire competes with Logan,Indigo Manza etc.

Same goes for the Accord which competes with Superb,Camry,Passat(not Jetta) and the segment leader is Superb with around 300 odd units.

Civic also sold decent nos this month with 533 units,more close to the competition that it was earlier.I think Civic used to sell around 200-300 units,so thats an improvement.Worth saying have rarely noticed the new Civic here in Kolkata(the hexagonal back lamps).

I would have been hugely surprised if the JAZZ had sold decently
I hope HONDA learns from this embarassing sales figures and learn to price its products more reasonably.
Old 6th June 2010, 09:26   #96
BHPian

These days, any known person I meet, sometimes even strangers (!), I ask them about their car. Several of the City and SX4 owners I have spoken to had not even TD'd any other car. So, I think quite a number of their sales are more based on brand name than on car comparison.

Last edited by echo77 : 6th June 2010 at 09:28.
Old 7th June 2010, 04:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a breakup of Figo sales figure - Petrol Vs Diesel ?
Old 7th June 2010, 14:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
any idea about the petrol punto's avg?
The figure given by the magazine is 10.X, The next was i20 with the Kappa 1.2 at 12.X, next was Figo at 13.X, next was Beat with a higher 13.X, then Polo with 15.X, then the Fabia with 16 and finally the Maruti Twins Ritz and the Swift, with Swift at the Top with 17.X
Old 7th June 2010, 15:06   #99
BHPian

Any figures available for cars like the 370Z, R8, Z4 and the lot? I was surprised to find that no Jaguars or Land Rovers are in the sales chart.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I hope HONDA learns from this embarassing sales figures and learn to price its products more reasonably.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-honda-21.html

Look at above link! this says HONDA still think they are on right track

Figo is a massive hit! Kudos to ford for great pricing. one good thing i see about FIAT is that they are at least maintaining 2K+ mark despite tie up with TATA! Swift and Swift+ boot (Dzire) 12K+ and 9K+ very impressive. MERC leading again!

Last month's sole elantra sold was defective one i heard. One more sold this month, another defective?

The sales number include new wagon-r numbers as well I guess. Need to wait for next month to see how people have accepted the new wagon-r
Old 7th June 2010, 20:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
61% growth in May 2010, good going GM

The May 2010 sales comprise of
2,812 units of the Chevrolet Spark,
2,296 units of Chevrolet Beat,
1,418 units of the Chevrolet Tavera,
854 units of the Cruze,
396 Units of Chevrolet Aveo,
312 units of Chevrolet Aveo U-VA ,
84 units of the Chevrolet Captiva and
53 units of Chevrolet Optra

Source:

General Motors India sales grow 61%-Financial Times-Features-The Economic Times
what a sad state of affairs ! eight cars in all different catagories , and even cant cross 10,000 nos ?
its a shame ! how come they sustain this sorry sales of some models which even cant break the 4 digit marks ? how viable to produce them?
Old 7th June 2010, 20:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Audi sales jump 65%

Audi sold 200 units in may against 121 last may.
Old 7th June 2010, 21:06   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
what a sad state of affairs ! eight cars in all different catagories , and even cant cross 10,000 nos ?
its a shame ! how come they sustain this sorry sales of some models which even cant break the 4 digit marks? how viable to produce them?
I'm sorry to say but that's extremely poor judgement.

The Captiva has been doing a steady 50-100 units every month, come Fortuner or not. That's pretty good if you ask me, given that GM / Chevy was believed to have very little acceptance in the premium segment. That they're managing to sell a 22 lac rupee SUV in steady numbers is a very good achievement. I think you're unfamiliar with the trend of sales numbers in this segment.

The Cruze too, is turning out a phenomenal performance, not only surpassing the Civic (which is now routine) but also kicking Altis-butt this month. It's a HUGE achievement for a company who's future was a big question mark after the parent company's collapse.

Of course, the line-up has it's share of disappointments in the languishing Optra / Aveo / U-VA trio, these products are past their PLC.

Spark is continuing to bring in some much-needed cash month after month, while the Beat is possibly the ONLY car in the entire line-up which has underperformed given the expectations from it. Even so, it's clocked decent numbers, could have done much better.

Going by your requirement of car manufacturers breaking the four-digit mark to earn some respect, the Germans must be nowhere on your list of angels.
Old 7th June 2010, 21:30   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I'm sorry to say but that's extremely poor judgement.

The Captiva has been doing a steady 50-100 units every month, come Fortuner or not. That's pretty good if you ask me, given that GM / Chevy was believed to have very little acceptance in the premium segment. That they're managing to sell a 22 lac rupee SUV in steady numbers is a very good achievement. I think you're unfamiliar with the trend of sales numbers in this segment.

The Cruze too, is turning out a phenomenal performance, not only surpassing the Civic (which is now routine) but also kicking Altis-butt this month. It's a HUGE achievement for a company who's future was a big question mark after the parent company's collapse.

Of course, the line-up has it's share of disappointments in the languishing Optra / Aveo / U-VA trio, these products are past their PLC.

Spark is continuing to bring in some much-needed cash month after month, while the Beat is possibly the ONLY car in the entire line-up which has underperformed given the expectations from it. Even so, it's clocked decent numbers, could have done much better.

Going by your requirement of car manufacturers breaking the four-digit mark to earn some respect, the Germans must be nowhere on your list of angels.
i am very sorry to say that you have a very poor piece of information .
firstly , the captiva is selling 50-100 nos is true but its now , earlier it used to sell between 175-200 nos and this trend continued over a year of its launch when they sold 2200 + captiva's in one year . so the point is it has stedily gone down and with fortuner it has gone further down .
please go through correct information before commenting .
secondly , spark uesd to sell around 4000-4500 nos which have come down to 2500-3000 nos during these previous 2-3 months . so again a decrease .
third , the beat did sold in tunes of 4000 approx nos when it was launch , now its trading again at around 2500 approx nos . so again a decrease .
fourt , as of optra , u-va ,avio and srv , frankly you can consider them as flops right now by looking at the compitition .
fifth , the tavera sells around 1100-1500 nos , nothing to cheer about .
so dear friend , how is my judgement is poor when it is based on facts and not assumptions as of yours ?
Old 7th June 2010, 22:08   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
Honda should really think seriously about their pricing strategies otherwise it will slowly fade out of people's memories when they are considering to buy a new car.
Some time back, they were the leaders in every segment they were in, now look whats happened to them.
So true. Wonder why Honda treats itself like the king of premium cars in India, when people hardly bother about them in the USA. They might make reliable cars, but that doesn't make them a BMW or a Merc. Get real Honda. Gives us rightly priced cars. Look at VW Polo and learn.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed