Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 22:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
So true. Wonder why Honda treats itself like the king of premium cars in India,
One thing is Honda is not after numbers. They do not have the intention to become the no 1 in numbers like Toyota or VW. Even in US, they are one manufacturer who do not sell to Rental Car companies (You cannot rent a Honda in US). Toyota sells to Rental fleet at steep discounts to boost the sales numbers. Considering the percentage of localization and cost of manufacturing, probably Honda wont be able to reduce the price. They will introduce more products in future, the brand name will eventually bring more sales, but i don't expect a price correction from Honda.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:13   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
So true. Wonder why Honda treats itself like the king of premium cars in India, when people hardly bother about them in the USA. They might make reliable cars, but that doesn't make them a BMW or a Merc. Get real Honda. Gives us rightly priced cars. Look at VW Polo and learn.
I agree honda's are not priced rightly in India. But Honda is the most respected automaker in the non-luxury group in USA. They rarely give discounts on their line-up. Honda is not a volume player as Toyota is but they solicit the best respect in USA. For me, they make the most reliable vehicles in the world.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
One thing is Honda is not after numbers. They do not have the intention to become the no 1 in numbers like Toyota or VW.
I had a laugh on reading that statement, there can be no car manufacturer would be having this statement has a Goal. That I dont want to be number I am Ok with any numbers between 1 to 10. Imagine people in the shareholders ( the real owner) listening to statement, if the CEO makes that we dont intend to be number one in any country. I can bet its share value will plummet overnight.
Given a chance any car manufacturer (even guys like San motors manufacturers of SanStorm) would be surely be dreaming of Number one post.
It is only those company who understand that they can noway become number 1 who come up with statements like this. Dont go by that..
Old 7th June 2010, 23:45   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Thats one hell of a leap for Outlander! 98? Has pushed most of the others behind! Face-Lift has helped and perhaps Rohit Pal's ad has done it? I have to agree with GTO's comments - Brilliant Ad. Looks like hit the right target.
Is the ad in youtube? can anybody give the link if I can watch it online?
Old 8th June 2010, 00:00   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I had a laugh on reading that statement, there can be no car manufacturer would be having this statement has a Goal. That I dont want to be number I am Ok with any numbers between 1 to 10. Imagine people in the shareholders ( the real owner) listening to statement, if the CEO makes that we dont intend to be number one in any country. I can bet its share value will plummet overnight.
Given a chance any car manufacturer (even guys like San motors manufacturers of SanStorm) would be surely be dreaming of Number one post.
It is only those company who understand that they can noway become number 1 who come up with statements like this. Dont go by that..
Selling in huge numbers increases in revenue but not necessarily profit.And profit is more important to shareholders than the topline.
Old 8th June 2010, 00:30   #111
BHPian

(Figures are assumed - this is just a sketch)

ANHC = 10L OTR, cars sold=3000/month, profit per car=2.5L, total profit=7.5cr
SX4: 1500
Verna: 1500
Linea: 1000
Fiesta: 1000
Total of all near rivals: 5000/month
Total cars sold in segment=8000/month

if ANHC = 9L OTR, cars sold=5000/month, profit per car=1.5L, total profit = 7.5cr
SX4: 1000
Verna: 1000
Linea: 500
Fiesta: 500
Total of all near rivals=3000/month
Total cars sold in segment=8000/month

Same profit with less effort (3000 cars sold) than with more effort (5000 cars sold)?

Their dealerships and service centers would surely profit with more cars sold.
Old 8th June 2010, 07:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing is Honda is not after numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
(Figures are assumed - this is just a sketch)

ANHC = 10L OTR, cars sold=3000/month, profit per car=2.5L, total profit=7.5cr

if ANHC = 9L OTR, cars sold=5000/month, profit per car=1.5L, total profit = 7.5cr

Same profit with less effort (3000 cars sold) than with more effort (5000 cars sold)?
How come they don't reflect this sentiment in the two wheeler market?
Old 8th June 2010, 08:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
i am very sorry to say that you have a very poor piece of information. please go through correct information before commenting. so dear friend , how is my judgement is poor when it is based on facts and not assumptions as of yours?
Relax a little, will you Nothing personal.

Quote:
firstly, the captiva is selling 50-100 nos is true but its now, earlier it used to sell between 175-200 nos and this trend continued over a year of its launch when they sold 2200 + captiva's in one year . so the point is it has stedily gone down and with fortuner it has gone further down.
Have you heard of honeymoon period?

Quote:
secondly, spark...
Of course it has declined, but it's performing ably considering that it is now quite dated. Remember, when GM had nothing worthwhile in it's line-up, it was the Spark, I feel, which kept them afloat (albeit with discounts etc).

Quote:
third , the beat did sold in tunes of 4000 approx nos when it was launch , now its trading again at around 2500 approx nos . so again a decrease.
Again, heard of honyemoon period? And I DID say that it has underperformed, repeating the same facts is not clarifying the point here !!

Quote:
fourt , as of optra , u-va ,avio and srv , frankly you can consider them as flops right now by looking at the compitition .
The U-VA / Aveo are laggards, again I did mention this in my post. Why bother repeating? And the Optra's not a FLOP, it's past it's PLC. It's a done and dusted product which will not sell much further. Yet again, something I DID mention in my post.

Where's the problem?
Quote:
Even in US, they are one manufacturer who do not sell to Rental Car companies (You cannot rent a Honda in US).
Sir, I just rented a Honda Accord '09 (not even 500 miles on the odo) from Enterprise last year in May and drove it from Atlanta to NYC and back. And almost every rental agency had an Accord / Charger / Camry to offer us.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th June 2010 at 08:32.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Is the ad in Youtube? can anybody give the link if I can watch it online?
Here you go:

Man, I am almost becoming Mitsubishi salesman! (Mods, I know this is OT, but I hope you leave this one here).

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 8th June 2010 at 09:21.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Here you go:

Man, I am almost becoming Mitsubishi salesman! (Mods, I know this is OT, but I hope you leave this one here).
nicely made ad I must say! Generates an interest in the car without even mentioning any technical details.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Selling in huge numbers increases in revenue but not necessarily profit.And profit is more important to shareholders than the topline.
If that is the case why do you think players like Ford, GM and VW want to get into the small car market in India they would have been happy with their bigger siblings getting more profit.
Likewise why does Toyota even think of Etios concept etc.

As I said before, I can be a opt to be player like a neighbourhood shop selling coke for 11 Rupees and making one rupee profit or a big player like Reliance Fresh selling them at 10.25.

If your case is true all we would have is neighbourhood shops.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Relax a little, will you Nothing personal.

Have you heard of honeymoon period?

Of course it has declined, but it's performing ably considering that it is now quite dated. Remember, when GM had nothing worthwhile in it's line-up, it was the Spark, I feel, which kept them afloat (albeit with discounts etc).

Again, heard of honyemoon period? And I DID say that it has underperformed, repeating the same facts is not clarifying the point here !!

The U-VA / Aveo are laggards, again I did mention this in my post. Why bother repeating? And the Optra's not a FLOP, it's past it's PLC. It's a done and dusted product which will not sell much further. Yet again, something I DID mention in my post.

Where's the problem?

Sir, I just rented a Honda Accord '09 (not even 500 miles on the odo) from Enterprise last year in May and drove it from Atlanta to NYC and back. And almost every rental agency had an Accord / Charger / Camry to offer us.
i think your views about GM india are very optimestic and you are looking towards it in a very positive way , for me it hasnt performing the way it should have been , so ok , fair enough !
nothing personnal!!!
only regarding the honeymoon piriod , i think its best describe as with in 3-4 months from the products launch, what say ? no offending !!!
Old 8th June 2010, 12:39   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One thing is Honda is not after numbers. They do not have the intention to become the no 1 in numbers like Toyota or VW.
Month after month, I read similar comments!

GM, Ford, Toyota, VW are silly people to concentrate on volumes?

Honda <> Merc, BMW or Audi. Please, wakeup.

Heck, even the above trio is fighting for numbers in their respective segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I had a laugh on reading that statement, there can be no car manufacturer would be having this statement has a Goal.
+1. This when Honda is preparing it's small car for India. Guess it will be Limited Edition from Day1. They don't want volumes you see
Old 8th June 2010, 13:30   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Month after month, I read similar comments!

GM, Ford, Toyota, VW are silly people to concentrate on volumes?

Honda <> Merc, BMW or Audi. Please, wakeup.

Heck, even the above trio is fighting for numbers in their respective segments.

+1. This when Honda is preparing it's small car for India. Guess it will be Limited Edition from Day1. They don't want volumes you see
rightly said so , sir ! numbers is what count in todays intense compitition scenario and everybody however polish manufacturer they be is going for it . even the world's most profitable catr manufacturer PORSCHE couldnt resist that .
we are not here for numbers , is a blunt big lie !
Old 8th June 2010, 13:38   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
hahahaha. I laughed so hard on this statement that almost entire office was looking at me
Closed Thread

Most Viewed