Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 14:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
i think your views about GM india are very optimestic...
Have to be optimistic, yaar. After 10 years of making no progress, they decided to start shining when parent company's pant's got pulled by Barackbhai. Commendable !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guess it will be Limited Edition from Day1.
Hahahahahahahhaha
Old 8th June 2010, 14:22   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Even in US, they are one manufacturer who do not sell to Rental Car companies (You cannot rent a Honda in US). Toyota sells to Rental fleet at steep discounts to boost the sales numbers.
Um you are wrong. I have rented a Honda Accord in the US. Hondas are very much available in rental fleets. Not as many as Chevys and Fords but they are very much there. Everything is available for rental in the US including exotics.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:27   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Um you are wrong. I have rented a Honda Accord in the US. Hondas are very much available in rental fleets. Not as many as Chevys and Fords but they are very much there. Everything is available for rental in the US including exotics.
Exactly. Even I rented an Accord last yer from Enterprise.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:44   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
After 10 years of making no progress, they decided to start shining when parent company's pant's got pulled by Barackbhai.
Their pant got propped up by Barack, not pulled, I think
Old 8th June 2010, 14:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

It may be partially true that Honda have modelled their business strategy by focussing on quality & consistency and not running after volumes. It's also quite true that Honda refrained from multiplying their product line-up when Toyota was doing so and instead strengthened the quality, image and sales of their bread-and-butter models like Accord, Civic and so on.

But what is really frustrating people here in India and also abroad is the fact that Honda is trying to take cover for the current downtrend in sales by citing the above strategy as a reason .
Old 8th June 2010, 16:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Their pant got propped up by Barack, not pulled, I think
Yeah that's more appropriate actually I stand corrected.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:26   #127
Senior - BHPian

It is too early to assume beat will settle to 2-2.5K based on this month's sales. It can be more can be even less. If you look clearly, the no. of spark sold is comparatively less last month. So may be its a production issue or something else.

And yes its embarrassing " eight cars in all different catagories , and even cant cross 10,000 nos" but cars like aveo, uva, optra are as good as dead.
Cruze is a segment leader.
Spark and Beat are also doing OK.
The only letdown is CAPTIVA. Its a beautiful car. Deserves a better response. I believe its even better than Fortuner. Just cant figure out why its not selling....TOO BAD.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The only letdown is CAPTIVA. Its a beautiful car. Deserves a better response. I believe its even better than Fortuner. Just cant figure out why its not selling....TOO BAD.
Very true. But brand makes a big difference here. And the Toyota brand does blind people. Now please, I'm not saying Fortuner buyers are stupid, it's a good car no doubt, but a LOT of customers buy Toyotas just because it carries the badge. There are many others of course, who buy it as a result of a well-informed and researched decision.

The Chevy has limited acceptance at that price point. Awesome car, no doubt, and I love it to bits. The only problem is the hard clutch and notch gearbox. Clutch especially, is one thing someone I know was complaining about. Their car was bought before the Auto AWD was launched. They have other SUVs like the GL, Vitara, Freelander and a fleet of sedans. Yet, they liked the Captiva.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:39   #129
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

This when Honda is preparing it's small car for India. Guess it will be Limited Edition from Day1. They don't want volumes you see
Honda should use this line to brief their ad agency
Old 8th June 2010, 20:46   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Here you go:

YouTube - The New 2010 Outlander from Mitsubishi

Man, I am almost becoming Mitsubishi salesman! (Mods, I know this is OT, but I hope you leave this one here).
Thanks a lot @RajaTaurus. The ad is very good indeed but I have the opinion that this ad alone cannot have resulted in 98 Outlanders being sold in a month after dismal performance for so many months. There must be some other reason though I may be wrong.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:47   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Very true. But brand makes a big difference here. And the Toyota brand does blind people. Now please, I'm not saying Fortuner buyers are stupid, it's a good car no doubt, but a LOT of customers buy Toyotas just because it carries the badge. There are many others of course, who buy it as a result of a well-informed and researched decision.

The Chevy has limited acceptance at that price point. Awesome car, no doubt, and I love it to bits. The only problem is the hard clutch and notch gearbox. Clutch especially, is one thing someone I know was complaining about. Their car was bought before the Auto AWD was launched. They have other SUVs like the GL, Vitara, Freelander and a fleet of sedans. Yet, they liked the Captiva.
toyota brand do blind people . and its very true . what you are getting in a fortuner? can somebody will elobarate ?
at 22 lks a innova interiors , last row of seat where even a baby cant be comfortable , overall cramped interiors for that kind of mass with a decent engine ? ok , then buy the innova at half the price , i have driven both and i liked the innova's dynamics and agility. and i tell you half the people buying it are politicos as it suits their image of arriving big time in a huge mass of metal .
Old 8th June 2010, 22:24   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Um you are wrong. I have rented a Honda Accord in the US. Hondas are very much available in rental fleets.
Which one? Yes, there are rental companies that specializes in Exotic cars, Also few of them (eg Hertz) rents Jaguars, Hummers, Benzs etc. But i have not seen a Honda or VW in any rental fleet in CA. Some companies like ZipCar, buy Honda cars from dealerships and rent out. But Honda does not do fleet sales to Rental companies ( mostly unsold vehicles at discounted prices).
Old 8th June 2010, 22:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
toyota brand do blind people . and its very true . what you are getting in a fortuner? can somebody will elobarate ?
at 22 lks a innova interiors , last row of seat where even a baby cant be comfortable , overall cramped interiors for that kind of mass with a decent engine ? ok , then buy the innova at half the price , i have driven both and i liked the innova's dynamics and agility. and i tell you half the people buying it are politicos as it suits their image of arriving big time in a huge mass of metal .
You get Macho looks.
3L Diesel.
And the Toyota badge.

Anyway I prefer Captiva for the Sober looks and better Dynamics.

But surely you arrive in a much grander way in a toyota (Fortuner) than a chevy (Captiva). --- And that is what SUVs are all about.
Old 9th June 2010, 01:23   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
But Honda does not do fleet sales to Rental companies ( mostly unsold vehicles at discounted prices).
Unlike Ford, GM etc, the Honda company doesn't have a fleet sale dept. However, most Honda dealers do have a fleet sales dept & they do discounted fleet sales.
Old 9th June 2010, 01:27   #135
BHPian

Honda is one company which cares for quality more than quantity. When Toyota stoped selling during those recalls, all companies except one kept on calling Toyota's customers. That one company is Honda. Toyota chairman was asked how does he want to see his company to be? He answered he wants to be like Honda. Don't ask me for links I don't have one. We fear some funny anecdotes about Honda in USA. Like take your car to a mechanic for a checkup and he would say that's a honda it does not need one. Not that it does not really need it but that's the image of honda.

Coming to rental cars, It's rare to see a Honda rental car. Honda mostly sells to fleet companies at the end of the year to clear inventory. If you consider percentage Honda's sales to fleets is negligible. My uncle wanted to buy a Accord months after the new version was launched. He wanted to drive one as rental and then buy it if satisfied. He tried his best but did not get one. GM, Ford and Chrysler rely a lot on rental sales. I once rented a mustang barely months after the launch. That can never happen with a honda.

Having said the above I am not defending Honda's policy in India. I agree with you that Honda should get the pricing right. Not selling enough in one market does not make a good company bad or selling in one market does not make a bad company good.

Give credit where it is due.

None of the products Honda sells are custom made for India. I would wait for their first custom made product to be launched to judge them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks