Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 00:08   #1

Scorpio CRDe or Innova ??

I am deciding up to buy a Scorpio CRDe or Innova.
I travel long distances about once a month, and in general like large roomy cars (or vehicles, to be more generic).
My present car is a Tata Indica (DLX), and with an upgrade I would like to have something that is much more pleasant to drive (not that the Indica is bad, but it has its own niggles - rattles, slight wobbles etc..)

So is it a Scorpio or an Innova ??

Though this has been discussed in many threads, there doesnt seem to be much of conclusive data points to suggest that Innova is really worth the extra cost. So I would like some first-hand feedback on these fronts:

1. Is Scorpio that bad in handling as it is said ?
2. Has the scorpio got the tendency to develop little problems like rattling noises here and there, over time ? (I am "assuming" that should not happen with a Toyota)
3. Will the quality of the drive/ride degrade faster in scorpio than Innova ?

thanks!
Old 26th October 2005, 00:45   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeram
1. Is Scorpio that bad in handling as it is said ?
...even I would like to REALLY know the answer to this question.

but ...err , BTW , shouldnt you have posted in the What Car ? section ...
Old 26th October 2005, 00:47   #3
BHPian

Sreeram, I'll leave the tech comparison to others who know better.. from what you say, you'll be using the vehicle in the city.. Scorpio might be a good fit for the city than Innova since it is relatively less bulky.. but you might as well want to check out the mileage offered by both the vehicles. I have no data on innova but have heard that scorpio gives only around 7 in the city (may be its an odd case)..
Old 26th October 2005, 00:48   #4
BHPian

Ohhh ..maybe the rules dont allow you to post in the What Car ? section till you have 50 posts ... I understand ..

but then I also understand that Rules ARE Rules ...
Old 26th October 2005, 01:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

scorpio anyday.

TOyota are thugs. what with sellin more than 10 years old design here and then increasing the price of the new car shamelessly.

scorpio crde may not be a technological marvel compared to the toyota but surely is Indian and has better image than a Innova.

scorpio is better value anyday.
Old 26th October 2005, 01:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ohhh!!! Please go for Innova if your criterias are like you mentioned:
1) Handling: Innova wins hands down. Scorpio is outright dangerous at high speed.
2) Problems: You can guess which car is likely to age faster... Nothing beats the reliability of Toyota
3) Ride Quality: Leave about degrade.... Innova would be better from day one.
4) Space like you mentioned.... its a no brainer, Scorpio is CRAMPED for its SIZE!!!

However having said that, many ppl buy Scorpio over Innova for two reasons:
1) Price
2) SUV look alike

So point being, if you let your brain and practicality rule, than Innova will score in every criteria you compare the two. However if you are looking for a SUV look alike to get the feel of driving a SUV under a 10 lakh budget, in that case go for Scorpio!
Old 26th October 2005, 03:31   #7
BHPian

INNOVA is a big family wagon and SCORPIO is a SUV (imitation). They are totally different.
Innova is excellent on long drives cruising safely at 100kmph coupled with excellent mileage and space.
Old 26th October 2005, 09:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I travel long distances about once a month, and in general like large roomy cars (or vehicles, to be more generic).
If chauffer driven, driving with family go for Innova
If self driven & want macho looking car go for Scorpio
Old 26th October 2005, 10:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive mag did a shootout between safari DICOR(Lowest end 2WD), Scorpio High end, as both have same features (Power windows etc.,). Their verdict is that if you want a highway cruiser safari wins hands down while for city scorpio is more manouverable. Coming back to the innova the same holds true. for highways and comfort innova wins hands down.
I have sat inside both scorpio and innova and innova was more comfortable and had more space. Scorpio is more butch and gives a more macho image while innova is van-ish
Old 26th October 2005, 11:00   #10

Thanks for the views. And yes, I should have posted on the what-car forum (signs of a Newbie!!). Is there a way to move this thread over there ?

btw - I did a short city traffic test drive of both vehicles, and did not have the
chance to gauge the high speed handling part.. However, Innova did feel more
"sure" in its steering control, even within city speed limits (40-50k).

Though my usage would be in the city for majority of days, it would be out of
the city for majority of the kilometers.

Hence looking at the checklist again (removing price and nationality of the vehicle):

1. Handling @ 80-100kmph : From what I hear, Innova
2. Handling on bad roads : Any inputs here ? Does Scorpio's larger wheels/tyres help ?
3. Space : Innova marginally better (wasnt too impressed with Innova either)
4. Luggage space: With >5 people (even kids), Innova cant take any luggage at all !!

#2 and #3 above are probably going to be the clinchers.. If it turns out that both these vehicles are not offering anything significantly greater than a regular sedan, then the New Honda City Vtec is tempting..
Old 26th October 2005, 11:03   #11

Aha! wonder why I didnt even consider the Safari.. perhaps because I have an Indica now!
Old 26th October 2005, 11:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

just a long shot but if you are considering petrol alternatives then do consider Ford Fusion
and if you are not fixed on SUV/MUV you can also give a thought to Indigo Marina

as for the topic moving PM one of the moderators
Old 26th October 2005, 11:11   #13
VMG
BHPian

Anyday Scorpio is better.

I am owing Scropio from Jan/2004.

- Good power
- Milage getting around 10.5 - 11 KMPL ( 50 % city 50%
highway) always with AC
- Maintenance is cheap ( 1000 - 1500 for each service - paid
Rs.482 for third service)
- done 21k as of now.
- No major problems.
- Service is very good in India garage at Chennai.
- Driven at 110KM speed in highways no handling problem.
- Braking also fine in that speed.
- Comfortable for 7 adults.
- Very good AC.

- twice I got a problem with power windows. Covered in
warrenty.
- Driving is different from car. Used to have Lancer earlier.

Overall I am very happy with this. Done lots of long distance trips.
No issues.

Go ahead and buy ' Scorpio'
Old 26th October 2005, 11:43   #14
BHPian

Hi Sreeram,

I could understand your dilema with decision making... from my experiance, I feel the Innova is a better bet if you leave out the Pricing part (which I still feel, is value for money considering what you get).

I am no fan of the Qualis.. always thought it was shaped like a "Mortuary Van"... but the Innova has shattered all my thoughts abut Toyota. Mileage is going to be an issue though... none of my friends got more than 12 with the Innova. But comfort and driveability.... it is ages ahead of the Scorpio. We had a drive to Ooty last month in the Innova and the Innova ate up all the pothholes like none existed on the road. Even on the slightly bgger ones (the craters.. I mean ), the Innova never lots its composure.... and everything about the car is so refined.

One thing to note though.... opt for the Goodyear typres and check the tyre pressures as the Innova tends to be very sensitive abut this setup. Once we have the correct tyre and tyre pressure, the Innova is unbeatable on Indian roads.... this comes from a man who is mad about his Old Honda City ...

Regards

Sri
Old 26th October 2005, 15:57   #15
BHPian

Mileage Figures !!

While we are at it, can we get the Mileage and BHP figures between the Scorpio CRDE and the Scorpio Turbo Diesel.. Also, if the cost of maintenance has gone down with the CRDE engine in the Scorpio??

I would appreciate the inputs..

Regards,

Most Viewed