Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:18   #661
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Testing sub-4 meter XYLO. EDIT : Fresh PICS on Page 38

I was at Nasik on 21st July, and i saw 5 Xylo hatch backs going rounds of the city. They were covered on white and black checks kind of thing. I have a question, if i understand, these cars were not beeing shifted from one place to another because i saw them doing rounds of the same place more than once, so if they are under going testing, i saw only one guy driving it, i mean there was no one else in the car, so does it mean that the driver is some technical car expert testing the cars performance ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:00   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I was at Nasik on 21st July, and i saw 5 Xylo hatch backs going rounds of the city. They were covered on white and black checks kind of thing. I have a question, if i understand, these cars were not beeing shifted from one place to another because i saw them doing rounds of the same place more than once, so if they are under going testing, i saw only one guy driving it, i mean there was no one else in the car, so does it mean that the driver is some technical car expert testing the cars performance ?
Lots of sensors are connected to the vehicle (depending on what they are testing) and the data is stored in a laptop. Later these are downloaded by the experts and evaluated.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 22:18   #663
Senior - BHPian

Specifications Confirmed

Mini Xylo Compact SUV / MUV is expected with:
  • 7 seats
  • approx 100bhp
  • 4.5-5.5 lacs pricing
and the best part of all - Quarter 3 launch.

Courtesy & credits: Autocar India August Edition paperback magazine.

The only thing not digestible is projecting Xylo as an SUV where as in reality its only an MUV

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th July 2012 at 00:26. Reason: Typo corrected
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 11:33   #664
Senior - BHPian

Got my issue of ACI yesterday.

They have a 2 page article on the mini Xylo with a pic, which looks real but I think is rendered. The vehicle does not look as odd as it does in the spy pics. It is decent.

ACI claims the following -

1) 3 cylinder 100 bhp diesel engine - its the same mHawk engine from the Scorpio, minus one cylinder.
2) Jump seats in the boot to make it a 7 seater to get some leverage in pollution norms.
3) Car is under 4 metres but the spare on the boot goes beyond that. Clever.
3) Price is between 4.5 to 5.5 Lacs.
4) Launch would be in last quarter of this year.

I feel the USP of this car (when compared to other hatchbacks) would be -

1) Ability to tackle bad roads because of the robust LOF chassis.
2) Option of additional 2 seats, even if it is meant for children only.
3) Ground Clearance.
4) Spacious front and second row of seats since it's unchanged from the Xylo.
5) Roof mounted rear A/C vents from Xylo (if provided).
6) Tall seating position.
7) 100 bhp!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th July 2012 at 11:59.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 11:45   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

They have a 2 page article on the mini Xylo with a pic, which looks real but I think is rendered. The vehicle does not look as odd as it does in the spy pics. It is decent.

Hi Raj

Can you scan the pic and post it for all those including me who dont have the luxury of buying ACI.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:42   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3) Price is between 4.5 to 5.5 Lacs.
4) Launch would be in last quarter of this year.

I feel the USP of this car (when compared to other hatchbacks) would be -

1) Ability to tackle bad roads because of the robust LOF chassis.
2) Option of additional 2 seats, even if it is meant for children only.
3) Ground Clearance.
4) Spacious front and second row of seats since it's unchanged from the Xylo.
5) Roof mounted rear A/C vents from Xylo (if provided).
6) Tall seating position.
7) 100 bhp!
Thanks for sharing that Raj. If priced as you have mentioned above, this would be a cracker of a car, gobbling up the entry level sedans & some hatchbacks as well. Sincerely wish M&M brings it in this avatar & prices it very competetively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Hi Raj

Can you scan the pic and post it for all those including me who dont have the luxury of buying ACI.

Thanks in advance.
Same were the thoughts in my mind. Please scan & post the information here (if it is allowed in the rule books of TBHP).
Old 26th July 2012, 15:39   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Hi Raj

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Same were the thoughts in my mind. Please scan & post the information here (if it is allowed in the rule books of TBHP).
I have clicked pics from my phone since it was easier, I hope it's fine. Note the tiny third row butterfly window which can be opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Testing sub-4 meter XYLO. EDIT : Fresh PICS on Page 38-20120726-14.56.17.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th July 2012 at 15:48.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 16:37   #668
Senior - BHPian

This looks good, and if it is priced and packaged right, is sure to sell many.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:19   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have clicked pics from my phone since it was easier, I hope it's fine. Note the tiny third row butterfly window which can be opened.
Thanks for sharing the picture. The shape looks a bit odd, especially the rear 3 quarters. Is it on 15" wheels or 16"? I wonder how they can fit the two jump seats in that small boot. Any idea about the boot size in litres? The Ecosport has a boot of 346 litres. This car if launched before the Ecosport, then it is surely going to give nightmares to Ford & company as this has the potential to be cheaper than the Ecosport by at least 2 lakh rupees, that is a big amount in our price sensitive market.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 26th July 2012 at 17:21.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:27   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing the picture. The shape looks a bit odd, especially the rear 3 quarters. Is it on 15" wheels or 16"? I wonder how they can fit the two jump seats in that small boot. Any idea about the boot size in litres? The Ecosport has a boot of 346 litres. This car if launched before the Ecosport, then it is surely going to give nightmares to Ford & company as this has the potential to be cheaper than the Ecosport by at least 2 lakh rupees, that is a big amount in our price sensitive market.
This is a 5 seater basically, providing 2 jump seats at the back to seat children / servant maids etc. It is definitely not as spacious and comfortable as the full-size Xylo.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:30   #671
Senior - BHPian

If priced at the said 4.5 to 5.5 Lacs, this is going to be really cheap. Cheaper than the Fabia, Punto, Swift and i20. And still offer more seats, more space (maybe) and more power. With the added efficiency of a diesel engine.

Now, to keep the price low, M&M will have to share parts and hence making this car beautiful must not have been their priority. M&M will very well know that competing with Maruti and Hyundai is not going to be easy and hence, they will need to have a USP. The USP in this case can be the pricing. With this price, it will compete with the Beat, Ritz and Indica Vista.

@ AutoIndian:
Sorry bro, I dont have any more details about the car.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 18:25   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ AutoIndian: Sorry bro, I dont have any more details about the car.
No worries mate. This has surely added one more probables to the list of candidates for my next upgrade, Duster, Ecosport & now Mini-Xylo. I sincerely wish it comes with 100 ps power diesel engine & the basic minimum safety features (ABS, Airbags etc). Hope it produces a torque in the range of 200-250 Nm & weighs just over a tonne (1.1 to 1.2 tonne range). If M&M manages to offer such a car at a price point of around 6 lakhs ex-showroom (pass on the under 4m excise duty benefits to the customer), even then it is a very mouth watering proposition. The only glitch will be the 3 potter (if indeed it is) & the NVH levels. If Mahindra manages to keep the NVH levels similar to other cars in that category, then nothing like it.
Old 28th July 2012, 09:54   #673
Senior - BHPian

Just like Duster, Mahindra can launch this vehicle with 1 petrol and 2 diesel engine options, so that it covers a wide range on pricing terms.

Not sure what will happen to Bolero's sales once this is launched.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:49   #674
Team-BHP Support

The only point to note would be to see/assess how refined would the 3 cylinder motor be?
It may be able to churn out good power, but hope M&M does their home work on this front as well.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:58   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Just like Duster, Mahindra can launch this vehicle with 1 petrol and 2 diesel engine options, so that it covers a wide range on pricing terms.
Not sure what will happen to Bolero's sales once this is launched.
Mahindra has only the 1.5 petrol Motor from the Logan/Verito. The amount of sales Petrol Mini-Xylo would generate would not break-even even 5 years down the line. For the price conscious customer M&M are supposedly having a 4.5 lac ex-showroom base model.

The Bolero costs almost 10 lacs(VLX/SLX for private owner) and mini xylo MUV would not cannibalize a Bolero SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only point to note would be to see/assess how refined would the 3 cylinder motor be?
It may be able to churn out good power, but hope M&M does their home work on this front as well.
Since the Mhawk is tried and tested and now even offered in the Full-size Xylo, I think it must be as reliable as its bigger 2.2 version. Mahindra has been testing for 2+ years now and i think it should be niggle free (hopefully )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed