Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 18:25   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

I too like the design -- will give a 3/5 star rating! I think the move is really appreciable. And they could make the looks better if they load the rear with a nice tyre ! a cool Mini SUV look! and a good engine option shud set the stage for Mahindra. If RIO is doing decent numbers, no doubt these guys can take over those sales if they price it well !
Old 4th June 2010, 18:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
What if this vehicle isn't headed for Indian market?
If specs. to be believed i.e Length = 4mtrs and a 1.5ltr Diesel engine, looks like it is tailored for Indian market keeping excise benefits in mind.
Old 4th June 2010, 21:15   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
It will surely come in direct competition with WagonR due to its styling and i am sure in the pricing too.
M&M is surely entering in all segments with serious thoughts.
Very very unlikely, the Mini UV is unlikely to be sold between 3-4 lac rupee bracket. The minimum we can expect is 5 Lac ex showroom price tag. The similarities end at the boxy looks.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:29   #64
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I like this idea from M&M. I have a Fusion TDCi which has run about 90K. I have been looking for a replacement, but as most Fusion owners would agree, i cannot think of any other car which is as rugged and practical as the Fusion in that price range. Fusion is really a fusion of space, comfort, economy and ride quality, not to forget the advantages of having high ground clearance in India.

This new one from M&M seems to be getting there. It looks spacious, rugged with good ground clearance. If they can bless it with a refined diesel heart with loads of low end torque + (a major plus) carryout a plastic surgery to the face (not the same old boring bunny tooth) + price is sensibly, the new car should sell well.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:55   #65
BHPian

When I initially read about a compact SUV from Mahindra, that got me excited. If this is that SUV, I will be disappointed. Having said that, I think this vehicle is going to work as long as it doesnot have competition. Tata may come up with a compact SUV under 4 meters length from the Nano platform. This Xylo will have a good market scope until Nano based SUV is launched.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
When I initially read about a compact SUV from Mahindra, that got me excited. If this is that SUV, I will be disappointed. Having said that, I think this vehicle is going to work as long as it doesnot have competition. Tata may come up with a compact SUV under 4 meters length from the Nano platform. This Xylo will have a good market scope until Nano based SUV is launched.
Tata have already produced a cars like Estate, Sierra they all were 5 seaters with provision for carrying extra luggage. But, they were not compact, donot forget Marina. Tata's have already done that with a slight higher price tag. Now, Mahindra.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

There were reports that Mahindra was thinking of redesigning the front end of the Xylo. Looking at the Xylo piglet , it doesn't seem so!
Old 5th June 2010, 10:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
There were reports that Mahindra was thinking of redesigning the front end of the Xylo. Looking at the Xylo piglet , it doesn't seem so!
I am sure you meant rumors.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:56   #69
BHPian

Side profile looks good , however they could have removed the boxy rear , front grille design to beehive grille design (M & M I hope ur listening), reduce the vehicle height to few mm's , Mount stepney tire to back to maintain the Mini SUV look.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

I feel they are trying to create a virtually non-existent segment of small SUVs, a la Premier Rio. Gypsy & Thar are more function oriented. This one may be more comfort oriented.

... still can't digest the looks.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:28   #71
BHPian

Is this an attempt by M&M to beat Toyota in pricing before the Avanza launch??
Old 8th June 2010, 14:53   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Avanza will be a 7 seater, the M&M short xylo is a 5 seater so they would NOT be targetting the same space.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I think its pre-mature to decide under what segment is this gonna be placed. From the looks of it M&M might be pondering on entering the hatchback market, no idea though. uugghhh speculations can go on all day, someone please break the ice.

Spikey what do you think ?
Can't comment as it is too early now. For time being let me gauge the comments. One thing I can confirm as Ive driven it, it is really peppy and fun to drive!

Spike
Old 8th June 2010, 18:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

spotted a regular wheel base xylo today on the expressway with a modified bumper and MH 15 TC plates. seems ther is another xylo model on the way.. and that guy was really flooring it.. i was in another stock xylo m eagle at about 140 and this prototype seemd to be going easily above 160
Old 8th June 2010, 18:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Can't comment as it is too early now. For time being let me gauge the comments. One thing I can confirm as Ive driven it, it is really peppy and fun to drive!

Spike
Some more questions if you dont mind

1) Is it a triple like we are all thinking ?

2) Any time line for launch?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed