Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Selling your car - How do you feel?
It's an nightmare! I almost feel guilty of letting it go. 46 52.27%
It's the sensible decision to do. No second thoughts or guilt. 29 32.95%
Neither 11 12.50%
Thank God ! Good Riddance 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 12:24   #16
BHPian

It's a mixed feeling. The joy of a new car and the pangs of sadness on losing the old one. The Indica brings back fond memories of all the trips made in it. It was my first car! Took my wife to the hospital for all the hospital visits during her pregnancy. Took my baby girl back home and then to Mangalore. Never broke down on me - ever. It carried us over all kind of terrain. My wife was even more upset than me on seeing it go. Now all that is left are the pictures - sigh!
Old 6th June 2010, 12:27   #17
BHPian

I sold my 2 year 'showroom' condition santro to a friend of mine as I was leaving the country. Its been 2 years now and I haven't mustered the courage to again drive the car, though my friend has kept it in very good condition and has given me an open offer to use it whenever I am in Blr. Anything even slightly amiss and I'll go - this is not the way its supposed to feel. The santro being my first car, will always have a special place.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

We used to have a dark blue coloured '94 Maruti 800. We had gone through a financially difficult time prior to this & it was after almost 10 years that we were able to buy this car for 85K.

We drove the car around 1.6 lacs before parting with it as we wanted to upgrade to a newer car due to the rising maintainance costs. Post this we bought the Maruti 800 5-speed, & even that had to go soon due to technical problems.

I surely miss both those cars, specially because it was after a very long time that we were able to own cars & I still remember that joy when I saw a car parked in front of my house that I could call my own after some very difficult 10 years. Plus, the blue 800 was the last car my mom ever rode in.

I wish we had the money then to refurbish the blue 800 (1994) so that we could have kept it at least as a second vehicle.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 6th June 2010 at 12:50.
Old 6th June 2010, 14:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just voted for the second option. This is w.r.t my 2 year old, 10 K run, white Swift zxi which is standing idle as I have upgraded my ride.
Old 6th June 2010, 14:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

we have always purchased brand new cars and most probably will always do(maybe a few exceptions here and there ).
every car we own is like a brand new baby coming into a family , a special bond is formed. so letting it go is very very very hard. I still feel for the cars which we have sold over 10 years ago,if it is being well treated by the new owners etc.
whenever i come across my old car while im on the road, i get a feeling of joy .
Old 6th June 2010, 19:26   #21
BHPian

It is time to say good bye to my Superior white WagonR. She is leaving us thursday evening, I really feel sad whenever I'm looking at her. Even my wife was saying the samething when we took her this afternoon to the super market for our weekly grocery shoping. She has been with us for 4 years and 40K kmts. Except a minor accident on the very first month of purchase on Bangalore -Mysore highway on a rainy day she has given all good memories to cherish. Many higway and city trips, it was real pleasure owning this beauty. Even today she shines like brand new. Finally she is making way for a Silver Punto MJD Emotion Pack. If I had a couple more lakhs e probably I wouldn't have sold her.Hope(praying too) she will find another family who will take care of her like us.

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 6th June 2010 at 19:27.
Old 7th June 2010, 01:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

For the zen I'd feel comfortable. Its the wife's car as it is. For the Lancer, I would never sell it.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:37   #23
BHPian

I can never get around to selling any of my vehicles. The 1983 Luna TFR which gave me my first taste of the road is still with me (although it needs a major overhaul).

We still have Dad's '86 Priya which saw me through high school (yes, I used to sneak her out on Saturday mornings, as school started at 7 on Saturdays, and my Dad was sleeping till then!) and college. The Priya has now been restored and is my pride and joy.

The '91 LML Vespa T5 (the only LML with original Italian specs to be sold in India) was the first thing that I bought with my own money. It stood by me when I started my first job, and later when I started my own ventures. I have done 400+ kms single trips many times on the T5. The T5 too has been restored and I still use it for short runs, or just to get the kick of it!

Dad's '87 Premier Padmini Economy was the car I learnt to drive in. I have done thousands of kms in it, toured the jungles of Central India (Pench, Kanha, Nagzira, Melghat) in it many times, taken my girlfriend (now my wife) for long drives and brought my daughter home in it. I had it completely restored in 2004 as a gift for Dad on his retirement. The Padmini still runs and you can check it out in my garage. I am so attached to it, I cannot think of selling it ever.

My Feb 2006 Zen VXi is one of the last Zens to roll out of the fatory before it was phased out in March 2006. Although I have bought the torque monster Verna SX CRDi last year, both me and my wife love the Zen and cannot think of parting with it. I suggested that we can get an i10 or a Ritz or any other car to replace it, but my wife simply refuses. She learnt to drive in the Zen and she is more attached it it than I am.

So my garage is now bursting at the seams with 3 cars and 3 bikes, but I cannot bring myself to selling any of them. It does take a lot of effort to maintain all of them in good running condition, but then automobiles is what I love, and taking care/repairing/washing of one of them is the recipe for a perfect weekend for me.

Last edited by newcoolgadgets : 7th June 2010 at 11:39.
newcoolgadgets is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2010, 13:42   #24
BHPian

Two ways to look at it - From the Heart and the Head.

If the car is bleeding you financially, taking significant time from your schedules for upkeep and doesn't inspire confidence when going on a long journey - then it is time to sell, buy something more dependable. This is from the head

However, if the car is really good, is your first car, doesn't trouble you too much and overall does all the jobs given to it without a fuss - has been with you through the ups and downs - you get attached to it and it becomes a part of the family - then selling it is a little difficult - doesn't matter if it is a 800 or a Civic. This is from the heart.

I am going through the same dilemma right now. My 800 is 7 years old - runs like a dream, however with the family expanding, moving up in career and some peer pressure, buying a new (larger) car has become all but inevitable. However I cannot just come to terms with the thought of the 800 going out. It doesn't make financial sense for me to maintain 2 cars. The pendulum of thought is swinging both sides - keep the car, it's been so good to you, you will get a throwaway price for such a nice car and the other side - move up in life dude, get that new set of wheels, enjoy and tell the world you have arrived! The pendulum is still swinging.....
Old 7th June 2010, 14:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

I sold my Santro last month after having her for over 3.5yrs and trust me it just did not feel Great.

I was planning to pick up another car for over a year now and was prepared for this though. But still, when the moment of truth had arrived, felt that it was my family member I was trading.

It Kinda hit hard more on my wife!! This was the car we both had dated and drived around during our "Boyfriend Girlfriend" times.

All said and done, I just hope the next buyer would Love her and pamper her the same way I did.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

I had sold my Santro last year with a heavy heart but at the same time was at peace since I had sold it to a office colleague and would be seeing it daily. Everytime I see it it brings back very fond memories since it was first new car purchase.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I have to let go my beloved Ford Ikon which has been with me for close to 5 Years now.

It has been a painful experience to come to this decision.

I have been denying myself that it costs a bomb to maintain. Secretly (Without the knowledge of my dad) spent thousands on it's maintenance and fuel bills (Rs.52 for 8/9 Kms is quite expensive).

Then came a time when the car needs some body work (due to rust) and my dad wanted a hatch for ease of driving and good FE even in short runs. Any arguments were countered with the reply that we have the Fiesta now.

So the Ikon is now moving to a new home where I hope it will be taken good care of.

So how does it feel to sell your car?
  • It's an nightmare! I almost feel guilty of letting it go.
  • It's the sensible decision to do. No second thoughts or guilt.
  • Neither.
Bhai yours was a Ford Ikon, I sold off my 11 year old 800 in absolute mint condition and trust me I simply couldnt let it go before my eyes, did some last minute photo session for it to remain in my memories, but being the first car, its, trust me, one of the hardest thing to do.

Thank god it went to a known uncle of mine, so I can go and see it anyday
Old 7th June 2010, 14:45   #28
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2010 at 10:53.
dhall_gagan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th June 2010, 18:57   #29
BHPian

For me it was both a nightmare as well as a sensible decision. We don't have a 'Both' choice. It was nightmare since it was my first car and was with me for nearly 9 years and when I sold the car, the very next day, the person called to inform that he banged the car while taking out of parking. It was a sensible decision since the car was 9 years old and maintenance cost was increasing during each service.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
Bhai yours was a Ford Ikon, I sold off my 11 year old 800 in absolute mint condition and trust me I simply couldnt let it go before my eyes, did some last minute photo session for it to remain in my memories, but being the first car, its, trust me, one of the hardest thing to do.

Thank god it went to a known uncle of mine, so I can go and see it anyday
Selling a car in mint condition is so tough! But when you are giving it to someone whom you know well I think it's kind of taken off

Seeing some of the replies, it's pretty obvious that a good bunch of us treat the cars like our family/friends/pets

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks