Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Selling your car - How do you feel?
It's an nightmare! I almost feel guilty of letting it go. 46 52.27%
It's the sensible decision to do. No second thoughts or guilt. 29 32.95%
Neither 11 12.50%
Thank God ! Good Riddance 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 11:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Selling your car - How do you feel?

I have to let go my beloved Ford Ikon which has been with me for close to 5 Years now.

It has been a painful experience to come to this decision.

I have been denying myself that it costs a bomb to maintain. Secretly (Without the knowledge of my dad) spent thousands on it's maintenance and fuel bills (Rs.52 for 8/9 Kms is quite expensive).

Then came a time when the car needs some body work (due to rust) and my dad wanted a hatch for ease of driving and good FE even in short runs. Any arguments were countered with the reply that we have the Fiesta now.

So the Ikon is now moving to a new home where I hope it will be taken good care of.

So how does it feel to sell your car?
  • It's an nightmare! I almost feel guilty of letting it go.
  • It's the sensible decision to do. No second thoughts or guilt.
  • Neither.

Last edited by kiku007 : 5th June 2010 at 11:36.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

I felt very bad when I was parting my beloved Optra from me. I got married and took my wife to home in Optra, I took my son from hospital to home in optra, had been great memories of enormous trips in optra. Still have a soft corner for a black optra when seen on-road.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

When I sell my Ikon, which I will soon, I am sure I will be relieved . It's an expensive car to maintain you see.

Do you want me to add that option in the poll ?
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2010, 12:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
When I sell my Ikon, which I will soon, I am sure I will be relieved . It's an expensive car to maintain you see.

Do you want me to add that option in the poll ?
Sure Eddy.Please add. Why not?
Old 5th June 2010, 12:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

People who buy a car looking at the resale value and A-s-s must never feel guilty or sad when they sell their car.

On the other hand, people who bought their cars with passion and love for that car model, will feel sad when they sell it, if they have to.
Old 5th June 2010, 14:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

The day I sold my faithful Fiat Uno in March this year, both me and my wife held to our heavy hearts to see it depart!!

I will not be ashamed to even say that our eyes were moist.

It was a very painful decision!!!
Old 5th June 2010, 22:52   #7
BHPian

When I buy a car, I do that after a lot of debates, comparison and always bought a winner among equals in that category. And of course always maintain it with passion and use it with love to the fullest. Each car that I have sold has been a difficult choice emotionally as many sweet memories are invariably attached with it. But from point of pure economics, it made sense to let it go to make space for something equally good or better.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well - my first car was not really 'my ' car - it was shared between me and my roommate. But I looked after the car full time while he limited his involvement to just driving.
Felt real real bad when I sold my share to him. He understood that, and asked me to take a final spin with my precious for the last time before I left US in 2009.
Back to US in 2010 - he still keeps the car, and let me drive it again when I visited his place.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever - so is (or was) 'my' mazda 626.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

In earlier days, people used to own everything only once in thier life be it the household utencils, house, vehicle etc, But in these days when people even acquire several households, homes, jobs or even partners (=read marry), owning / upgrading /changing the goods is pretty normal.

i view letting go something which i had owned and upgrading to a newer one as a moment of celebration. It is an occation that we remember the good times we had together and be ready to enjoy the better things in life.

Letting something go which no longer adds value to oneself is also a good habit.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:27   #10
BHPian

Agreed that once a car becomes a pain to maintain, it's best to sell it off. But that's a strictly utilitarian point of view.

It's always a tough decision to let go of a car which has been with you through the years. Invariably you end up having some fond memories with it.

I still remember when we sold off our Pulsar last year and within a week of that, the new owner banged it while riding at high speed. Felt quite bad for some time, but yes we do move on sooner or later. All I wish is the new owner takes good care of it.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

i view letting go something which i had owned and upgrading to a newer one as a moment of celebration. It is an occation that we remember the good times we had together and be ready to enjoy the better things in life.

Letting something go which no longer adds value to oneself is also a good habit.
Good point!
When we sold the Amby and got the Maruti 800 or sold the M800 and got the Ikon it was a moment of celebration for me! I wasn't too much connected with the Amby or the M800 in the respective cases.

More importantly, we were upgrading for something even better.

In the case of moving from a boy racer Ikon to a city runabout Spark, it's even more tough. Even though we have a Fiesta P
Old 6th June 2010, 11:29   #12
BHPian

We just sold our 14 year old cielo yesterday, that was maintained very well, and was running like a horse!

My dad and me felt so guilty and bad that we were letting it go that we almost changed our mind and wanted to return the money.

It was his second buy after a faithful ambassador that was in the family for 12 years. The cielo was the car that I learnt driving in and was such an integral part of my collegiate life and thoroughly enjoyed cruising along B'lore's oh so lovely uncongested roads in the black beauty shod with HR rims and yoko rubber.

This morning not getting to see it in its usual place did make me miss a beat. Hope the guy who bought it takes care of it like we did.

Ultimately it was a rational thing to do. Cant ask for a better replacement in the form of the Linea

Last edited by pranava999 : 6th June 2010 at 11:31.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

If one were to keep a car for just 2-3 years he or she may not feel bad when letting it go but keep something with you for more than a decade or close then it becomes part of family.You will find it difficult to let it go no matter what.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:50   #14
BHPian

In my case it has always been the occasion of buying a new car superseding the feeling of selling the old car . M800 giving way to Santro and Santro giving way to Scorpio.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:13   #15
BHPian

When we sold our '78 Premier 22 yrs later in 2000 my first thought was 'there goes the biggest piece of junk ever to roll out of a factory', but I had gotten so used to it that it did bother me a little bit to see the Zen parked in the garage.
Selling my trusty M800 in '07 did affect me. Sure, I cursed the lack of refinement and power and frills, but my wife and I had driven it for 85k km and it did feel strange to let it go.

Most Viewed