Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 10:29   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The due (before the end of the year) higher power Linea - or a remaped current model diesel Linea should meet your needs well.

The cars like the Etios and Punto Sedan, Fabia Sedan (new Octavia) may not meet your need.

You could add the Xylo and Grande Mark II to your list as they serve a similar purpose in a different form.

Yep the problem exists but it is not the case of number of options but of the shortage of full fledeged options that tick all the right option in the price range.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The existing verna will get another upgrade next month. Stop gap measure for 10 months before the new verna comes in India.
When can we expect your detailed scoop on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
If only maruti can come up with a SX4 ddis with sensible pricing, i feel it can still shake the segment with its good looks, diesel economy & maruti peace of mind ownership. My 2 cents guys
Existing 1.3 DDiS will not be able pull SX4. I don't think MS has a powerful diesel available right now. Elsewhere also I read the SX4 diesel may be a long way to come.

But the issue is not about petrol / diesel. It is about the choice of cars we have today. If a car ticks the most requirements I can still go ahead irrespective of fuel type (unless if its a gas guzzler).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

The cars like the Etios and Punto Sedan, Fabia Sedan (new Octavia) may not meet your need.

You could add the Xylo and Grande Mark II to your list as they serve a similar purpose in a different form.
I guess you meant the Polo sedan (Vento).

Xylo /Grande Mark II is a different requirement altogether. There is this segment of people looking to buy a mid sized sedan for a small/nuclear family, daily office commute, no nonsense car, good quality with decent levels of safety & equipment.

Large families/ people movers / high % of highway driving may call for a few folks to opt out of a sedan and go for a MUV like Xylo/Mark II. But then how many us do that?
Old 10th June 2010, 11:04   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No offence to recent C segment sedan owners, but the current breed of Rs. 10 lakh sedans simply does NOT appeal to me. As an enthusiast, I buy cars to enjoy them...not merely as an appliance that takes me from pt. A to pt. B. And that's exactly where the C segments fail. They are boring. The ANHC lacks the soul of the older OHC, the Verna is too sloppy, the SX4 too harsh & lacks a premium feel, the Linea too under-powered and the Dzire, well. Either of these cars are excellent commuters, but they lack appeal. The Fiesta 1.6S comes close, but its too small by current standard and is beginning to feel outdated.

Solution : Link to thread. For 10 lakh rupees (or less), I could buy a clean, well-maintained:

- Honda Accord
- Toyota Camry
- Skoda Laura
- Honda Civic
- Toyota Altis
- Skoda RS
- Ford Endeavour

In the near future, we can also add the Fortuner, Teana and Pajero to this list.

I don't mean to make this thread a new versus used debate (that discussion can continue here), but I'm simply washing my hands off new 10 lakh rupee cars. Hey, I did put my money where my mouth is too!
Old 29th December 2010, 13:50   #19
BHPian

Re: Drought of sedans in the sub 10 lac range

Re-kindling this old thread since we have had few developments in the last 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
There is a long list of 15 cars. But if I actually have to buy one today from all practical purposes what I see is the list gets shortened to just 7:
  1. Maruti Dzire
  2. Tata Manza
  3. Ford Fiesta
  4. Fiat Linea
  5. Hyundai Verna
  6. Maruti SX4
  7. Honda City
Because of all practical reasons and with all due respects to enthusiasts, the remaining 8 cars that I dropped are either too old, or sell once in a blue moon. Hence if I have to buy a car today keeping all the typical parameters in mind then I get only these 7.
And now I can add the Vento, T-Jet and Etios to the list.

8. VW Vento
9. Toyota Etios
10. Fiat Linea T-Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Will 2011 be the year of sub 10 lacs sedans like 2010 has been for hatches?
Looks like the drought will lessen with with New Verna, New Fiesta, New D'Zire and Nissan Sunny. But will it match the downpour of the hatches in 2010, only the new year will tell.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:23   #20
BANNED

Agreed. The drought is even worse in the AT segment!

Maybe we can attribute this to the 1.2l + 4m policy.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:38   #21
BHPian

Yes, the drought seems to be getting over.

Vento especially is a hot contender for "The" 10 Lakh sedan title for enthusiasts like Team BHPians.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:41   #22
BHPian

Any info on the launch dates for
- New Fiesta 2011 (have heard about March/ April timelines ... some automags have mentioned Jan itself)
- New Chevy Aveo (from what I hear, second half of 2011 and not earlier)
- SX4 Diesel (I hear by March 2011)

Most Viewed