Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 08:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]

My love towards the 118 NE is ever lasting. It all started when I was a kid. I don’t even remember when exactly. It was love at first sight. I had never sat in a 118 NE until recently, let alone driving it. I don’t hail from a car family. Neither did any friends of mine during college had cars. My knowledge about cars was literally nil. After I got into my 2nd job in around 2002, I sniffed a possibility of buying a car. OF course I was eyeing for a 118 NE. I was on a mad hunt for an excellent 118 NE. I couldn't really find one as I did not know how to look for a good one. If NE had more than one owner, I rejected. If it looked dirty, I rejected. Even my friends couldn’t identify a good one due to lack of knowledge. Once friend had a NE at their home. It appeared excellent. With lot of courage and hesitation, I approached his dad asking if he is willing to sell. He literally got mad at me and shouted he would never sell and dare not to ask him again. Later, my family forced me to buy a new Maruti 800. I just gave up on finding the 118 NE.

Finally couple of years ago, the same friends father called me one fine day and asked if I wanted the NE. A few years before that day, they had stopped using as they had too many cars at their home. My mouth was just watering, head spinning in excitement. Without any hesitation, I said yes yes yes. He said, he is not selling it to me, but giving it to me just like that. Only condition being, any day I feel I don’t want it, I have to return it. Then it was over to my friend. He explained me that it was parked elsewhere and wasn’t used for more than a couple of years. HE said he will get it to running condition and then give it to me. This was a hell of a wait. The garages that used to service their NE weren’t anymore ready to work on this car. With great difficulty he managed to find some garage and the required parts, fixed the car and gave it to me. All this took 3 long months. I felt as if it were 3 long years.

To be continued...
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 08:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Finally I got the car in running condition. It was the first time I would be sitting in a 118 NE or driving it. I was too excited. The day I was to collect the NE, my friend wasn’t there home. Took the key from my friend’s house and headed to the car. Took at least 5 full minutes to search where to insert the key to start the car (In NE's, it appears to the left of the steering and all the way I was searching at the right). Then, the car wouldn’t start for many cranks. Then realized old cars come with a choke. Pulled the choke, instantly it started. Started driving it, believe me, this car beat all my expectations. I expected it to be difficult to drive and maneuver the car, but it was a lot different. I then realized that my blind love to the NE over the years was worth it.

Finally as days progressed, I started having some small niggles, just like any old car. I slowly started to understand how the car works and so on. Then came a new need, parts. Parts are not too easy to find especially since I was a novice to old cars. During these days, we also formed the Fiat Club Bengaluru. Through this club, I managed to find the necessary parts and also mechanics. Ever since the FCB was formed, I badly wanted to form a NE club too. However, I couldn’t manage to find like minded people for the NE club. FCB then offered a helping hand by telling me that the NE's can be part of the FCB. It was really a very kind gesture.

Then one day I met Chethan Kumar and Daya who are young and very passionate about the 118 NE's. We met a couple of times and decided its about time we start the club. Then it all started, the 118 NE Club Bengaluru was formed. Formally we met yesterday, the 7th of June 2010 and would mark it as foundation day.

By end of day, I will provide a write up about Chethan and Daya. Unfortunately, they do not have the privilege to post on team-bhp. I will do it on their behalf.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks FCB founders and members mainly Ramprasad, Sharief and Parag for making it to the foundation day. We were very pleased to have you people wishing luck. NECB intends to have NE specific rally/meets as well as join FCB rally/meets once in every alternate meet/rally. FCB and NECB will work together very closely.

Details of the car's that were present yesterday:
1) White NE : 1991 Petrol - Belongs to me. This was the one my friend's father gave me.
2) Red NE : 1988 Petrol - Belongs to Chethan and Daya.
3) Maroon NE : 1992 Petrol - Belongs to me.

Myself, Chethan and Daya are the founders of this club. Here are some of yesterday's pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7214.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7215.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7216.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7218.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7229.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7232.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7234.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dsc_7240.jpg  

Attached Images

funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 09:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic thread Karthik. It's rare to see a 118NE these days let alone 3 of them together. The 2 red cars could do with some polishing though.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:37   #5
BANNED

NEs are back on road!

A fantastic initiative by NECB Founders.

Here are some interesting pics and posts of Mr. Behram Dhabhar(ex-PAL).

Quote:
A very funny incident which I will never forget - I was in the vehicle testing department, testing cars was my job. One day my boss suddenly decides to test the Nissan Laurel Automatic Transmission car. So I fill fuel, make the gate pass, clear the car from security at the main gate (do the dirty work). We go to the road just after Konkan Bhavan (Kharghar highway - there was nothing there), I connect the instrumention which would provide direct printouts of acceleration. My boss says "Ill drive". OK with me. So he puts the car into drive and floors it. The car shoots like a rocket, 80, 100, 120, 140 -----. Now the funny part. I see my boss gripping the steering wheel tight, rocking to and fro on the driver's seat and shouting "come on - come on, buck up". I could not even laugh ! I told him - "Sir, this is Automatic Transmission, just floor it and sit". I wanted to tell him " Sir, this is a car, not a horse", but better sense prevailed and I kept my laughter to myself. When we stopped at a small teastall. I went behind it and "laughed out loud" (LOL). Even today when I think of it, I LOL.

This was the caliber ! Need I say anything more ? I'll share many such funny incidences.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
One of the First prototypes of Premier 118 NE, driven by Mr. Behram Dhabhar.

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-image00670.jpg

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-image00674.jpg

Quote:
Ref above picture of MZM7247, this picture was taken at a petrol pump on Sardar Patel Marg in New Delhi in February 1985. Yes, MZM7247 is the third prototype 118NE (the second was MZM7245 and the first was MMY4975). If you look clearly behind MZM7247, there is a yellow Padmini standing. It is MMY7128, the second prototype Padmini Diesel car (the first was MMY5039). We (my colleague Unni and I) drove down from Delhi to Mumbai, displaying the cars at Jaipur, Ajmer, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Anand and Baroda.

Read this - it is really hilarious - at Anand inside the dealer's showroom I was literally mobbed by some very rich Gujaratis who were hell bent on taking MZM7247 from me on the sopt. They had brought 1 lakh rupees in cash in a cloth bag (in which you normally carry vegetables home) which they wanted to give me for the car. They were in no mood to listen. The dealer had to intervene. I also remember drinking dry fruits milk shake in the showroom at Anand, courtesy of Gujaratis ("saheb, dry fruits to roj khavani"). These guys live kingsize. Some memories to share. More to come.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Pics and posts from this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...es-thread.html

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 8th June 2010 at 09:39.
FiatMyLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 10:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aditya and Fiatmylife! The pictures of the prototype models posted by Behram sir are just great.

Coming back to NECB, here are some of the many reasons why it was formed:

1) Save as many as possible 118 NEs from being scrapped
2) Encourage NE owners to maintain and use them.
3) Help members procure new parts from anywhere in India and if unavailable, source from scrap yard.
4) All NE lovers meet to share their experiences, discuss problems and get valuable suggestions from anyone who has innovated something to make the car perform better.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 10:25   #7
BANNED

The Maroon NE KA-05-M-3410 seen in the NECB Meet is a classic example of saving a NE from being scrapped. It so happened that during one of our(Karthik and me) regular visits to Scrapyard in Bengaluru, we found this very original NE waiting to be scrapped.

We spent sometime with the car to see if the body and engine was ok. Very surprisingly the body had hardly any rusts and the car looked very original.

We immediately spoke to the concerned people there and rescued the car. Hats off to Karthik for buying this Ne!
Old 8th June 2010, 11:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Arun! It was indeed a very good buy. All original car it was. Looks like you forgot the other 2 NEs we saved a few months ago from being scrapped. One was purchased by my friends friend and another one was a person who stays a couple of streets away from my house.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:15   #9
BANNED

NECB Foundation/Inauguration Meet

Hi all,

6th June 2010 (6610), remeber this date people. I remember when I was a kid, I loved this car a lot for its shape. According to me it was the most luxurious looking car for the time. But I knew only one thing about the car i.e, its 118, no idea what 118 meant too!

FCB extends full support and help required. By the way do I get an Membership

Here are the pictures of the meet in their original 3MP size.
I clicked very few pics as there were many professional cameras around.
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dscn4765.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dscn4766.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dscn4767.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dscn4768.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-dscn4769.jpg  

Sujith1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on forming the 118 NE Club Bengaluru.

This has been my favourite car since my childhood. Born and brought up in a small place like Raichur (north karnataka), i have seen so many NEs. One of my distant relative, who happened to be a industrialist from raichur used an white colorur NE till he died in 2003.His NE was was maintained as if it was bought the same day, white and shining even in Raichur's dusty roads.One of my other favourite was a pista coloured NE owned by a marwari family friend.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
One of my distant relative, who happened to be a industrialist from raichur used an white colorur NE till he died in 2003.His NE was was maintained as if it was bought the same day, white and shining even in Raichur's dusty roads.One of my other favourite was a pista coloured NE owned by a marwari family friend.
Does the car still exist? Any pictures of the 2 cars, if any would be appreciated.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

The white car very much exist, will take pictures when i visit raichur next time. I still remember the registration no. of this white car was KA36 118.Not sure about that lovely pista car which had curtains to prevent the occupants from Raichur's scorching heat.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 8th June 2010 at 11:39. Reason: comments
Old 8th June 2010, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good effort Karthik,to make people think back about the awareness and presence of 118 NE.
I myself have looked at many to acquire a good one.Its a dream that lives on and someday im hoping this marvel will join my stable.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hearty Congratulations to the founder members of NECB from the members of FCL and me. Do share more experiences with this car. IIRC this was the car chosen by many Govt. officials after Amby to be used as a daily commute a decade back just because of the sheer comfort and refinement it offered compared to Ambys. Still i find one or two with flag here daily.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, I too see a good number of NE's still plying government officials in Bangalore. They are mit condition too. It would have curtains for all 4 windows and the rear glass.

@Hillram: Thanks and hope you find a good NE

Last edited by funkykar : 8th June 2010 at 14:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks