Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 20:39   #166
BHPian

Not sure if this is a common feature but since i am a new car user, i found that i can lift the indicator stick on my chevy spark slightly (without engaging a proper indicaiton) it blinks the indicators for the time the stick is pressed. Same goes for the wipers.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

yes quadra, this feature is available in most of the cars, useful for lane changing.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:33   #168
BHPian

Steering lock feature in i20. Shut down the engine, remove the keys and then turn the steering wheel either to the right or left. Now insert the keys and try to start. You would notice that the steering wheel is locked and you can't start the car. To unlock the steering wheel, insert the key ,turn the steering wheel anticlockwise and turn on your keys simultaneously. This is an anti-theft feature in the car. Not sure if this is a standard and available in other cars as well.

Once I had to step out of my car to remove an obstacle on the path. I switched of the engine and it seems I had inadvertently turned the steering wheel while exiting the car. I removed the obstacle and found that I couldn't turn on the keys to start the car. I called up the Hyundai service representative and he told me the above feature. It was good that I called up the service centre otherwise I would have broken the key fob by applying all the pressure to turn on the lock.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:17   #169
BHPian

Yes. My SX4 too got it and it is mentioned in the manual.

Murthy
Old 17th June 2010, 14:15   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Steering lock feature in i20. Shut down the engine, remove the keys and then turn the steering wheel either to the right or left. Now insert the keys and try to start. You would notice that the steering wheel is locked and you can't start the car. To unlock the steering wheel, insert the key ,turn the steering wheel anticlockwise and turn on your keys simultaneously. This is an anti-theft feature in the car. Not sure if this is a standard and available in other cars as well.

Once I had to step out of my car to remove an obstacle on the path. I switched of the engine and it seems I had inadvertently turned the steering wheel while exiting the car. I removed the obstacle and found that I couldn't turn on the keys to start the car. I called up the Hyundai service representative and he told me the above feature. It was good that I called up the service centre otherwise I would have broken the key fob by applying all the pressure to turn on the lock.
Its there in almost all the cars. My zen (Jelly bean shape), had it too.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:26   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Its there in almost all the cars. My zen (Jelly bean shape), had it too.
That is correct. I think it is more to do with rolling on slopes than being an anti theft feature. If a thief can break through the door, how difficult it is to start the car (not the latest gizmo cars).
Old 17th June 2010, 14:40   #172
BHPian

The steering lock was one of the first "features" provided by default in most Indian cars.

For a while, my paunch used to auto-lock the steering wheel while exiting my WagonR. I found this a pretty useful feature.

I have lost about 10 kilos since, so haven't auto-locked the steering wheel for several months now.
echo77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 15:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

Even the humble little M800 has this "steering lock" feature right from the 80's!
Old 17th June 2010, 15:41   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
For a while, my paunch used to auto-lock the steering wheel while exiting my WagonR. I found this a pretty useful feature. ........
That must have been quite a paunch! IIRC, the steering wheel is not very close to the driver in a WagonR.
I panicked the first time I came across this feature in a friend's Zen. Thought the steering had jammed.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:01   #175
BHPian

For ford ikon cars this is not a hidden feature but i use it and find it quite useful. When the rain is coming very mild, setting the viper position to interval is also not feasible as the wind screen is almost half dry, so just nudge the viper switch upwards when you need to wipe the screen , the viper will operate once. Do not put the switch to on position just a nudge and it will wipe once. I find it quite convenient.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:24   #176
BHPian

after 3 years figured that the inside rear view mirror in my verna has three steps to dim the lights from cars following you.
Normally there are just two options available i.e normal or dim. But if you initally set your rear view mirror dimming the lights following you and then press the knob it tilts further to an angle where the following lights just become a treat for night driving. Haven't tried this on other brand cars.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Even the humble little M800 has this "steering lock" feature right from the 80's!
Yup. IMO, if the steering lock was absent in the i20, that would have been a discovery
Old 17th June 2010, 17:08   #178
DRC
BHPian

Of course steering lock is a common feature in all cars. Speaking of steering lock, this is what I discovered after 2 years of using a Fiat.

Fiat has only 2 and a half positions for ignition key OFF, ON and start. unlike three and a half in most cars (Lock, OFF, ON, Start). "Off" is supposed to be the "lock" too. But it works a little differently. Steering unlocks when you move the key from OFF to ON. But DOES NOT lock when you move from ON to OFF. To lock you have to remove the key from the socket.

Also there is a re-crank protection in the key (not a hidden feature). You can not crank the engine once you have started or made an attempt to start unless you turn off. So, in case you loose the engine or stall it, you wont loose the steering control when attempting to restart the engine.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:29   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
That must have been quite a paunch! IIRC, the steering wheel is not very close to the driver in a WagonR.
I am short, so the seat is quite in front. But, yes, the paunch was quite an achievement. I could use it as a table as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I panicked the first time I came across this feature in a friend's Zen. Thought the steering had jammed.
As kids we used to sit in jeeps and cars of people visiting us (yes they used to keep cars unlocked a generation ago) and play racing by turning the steering wheel. All this stopped when one fine day a steering wheel got locked (i think it was a maruti gypsy), and we were shell shocked because we thought we broke something!
Old 18th June 2010, 13:56   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Of course steering lock is a common feature in all cars. Speaking of steering lock, this is what I discovered after 2 years of using a Fiat.

Fiat has only 2 and a half positions for ignition key OFF, ON and start. unlike three and a half in most cars (Lock, OFF, ON, Start). "Off" is supposed to be the "lock" too. But it works a little differently. Steering unlocks when you move the key from OFF to ON. But DOES NOT lock when you move from ON to OFF. To lock you have to remove the key from the socket.

Also there is a re-crank protection in the key (not a hidden feature). You can not crank the engine once you have started or made an attempt to start unless you turn off. So, in case you loose the engine or stall it, you wont loose the steering control when attempting to restart the engine.
One feature i discovered after 1 month is the parking light switch. You have to press a button where you place the key and rotate the key anticlock-wise direction really neat. You never have to worry about leaving the car with headlights on. Another thing i like in Palio that you will never locked out, i mean locking the car with keys inside.

Most Viewed