Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 11:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
which car is this? in the Getz, if i press the window lock, i (the driver) can control only the driver side window. to use the others, i've to disengage the window lock.
Palio - i have tried it couple of times - it didn't work unless i switch off and switch on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
restart the car, eh? you work for Microsoft?
Nope but i have Microsoft office in my office PC
Old 10th June 2010, 14:19   #62
BHPian

Found out in Palio after 3 yrs that the inside rear view mirror has a toggle switch to use in night, which enable it to not reflect light from the headlights of cars in back. Very useful in night driving and this was not in manual.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:29   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Found out in Palio after 3 yrs that the inside rear view mirror has a toggle switch to use in night, which enable it to not reflect light from the headlights of cars in back. Very useful in night driving and this was not in manual.
This is there in my Swift also. I had already used something similiar in my earlier car, so knew about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I discovered the rear-bumper running light on my Swift, after having assumed it was a reflector.
What's this - I didn't know there is a daylight running light in the swift - will check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
In my Palio, I once found that AC would deliver cold air in the lowest fan speed, even if the fan is turned OFF while AC button is kept ON. Cool feature, I just need to press the AC button to get cold air at lowest fan speed, no need to turn on fan as well.
I don't think this works in the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Learnt from this forum about switching on the odometer light by pressing the odometer reset pin for checking the odometer reading even when the ignition key is removed. Interestingly even the dealers Service Advisors were unaware of this provision and would normally put in the ignition key and turn in on to check the odometer reading.
Super, tried it out yesterday. It works.

Another thing is - I always keep my inside light switch in the middle(door) position - left is off, right is on & middle means switch it on when the car stops & the door opens, gets switched off when you lock the door or after some time. Everytime I give my car for service, the service guys put it back on the off position. Likewise, any driver I employed always used to turn it back to the off position. Don't know whether it was because this was a feature they didn't know about or whether they didn't like the feature.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
This feature is there in many cars. At least, it has been there in every car that I have driven and I have driven at least 7 different cars in 4 different countries (not including those which I just test-drove or drove for a few hours)!!
Old 10th June 2010, 15:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't know whether it was because this was a feature they didn't know about or whether they didn't like the feature.
Neither. These folks were considerate to keep it permanantly off so that the car's battery doesn't drain off unncessarily.
Reason being that service guys have to keep one or the other door open while working whereas, drivers usually sit in the car with driver side door slightly open (weird I know - but this has been my observation) while waiting for owner.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
This seems to be most common discovery.
4 people have already reported discovering this after some time of owning the vehicle.
I remember reading about this in the manual (during my initial days of ownership).

Also the night view of rearview mirror inside swift is available only in Vxi and above variant. If I am not wrong, this is not there in Lxi.

Last edited by rajakumar : 10th June 2010 at 16:17.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
After almost 4 years, I found that my 2006 model Swift's ORVMs actually fold in the opposite direction too so that they are not knocked off by motorists.
I found the same on my SX4 within a month.

Murthy
Old 10th June 2010, 17:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
After almost 4 years, I found that my 2006 model Swift's ORVMs actually fold in the opposite direction too so that they are not knocked off by motorists.
I found this out after 5~6 weeks of the 320d coming home, when a biker knocked it forward. It was a big relief because the Merc wing mirrors don't fold in the opposite direction AFAIK, and each of them costs upward of 50k. Somehow, I was actually happy with that biker for letting me find out ... of course the next biker who does it is dead.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:33   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

While removing the carpet of my WagonR, when I opened the gear lever cover (which also has a coin and a bottle holder) I realised that there is a provision to hold one more bottle just behind the coin holder by flipping open the last bit of this whole cover assembly.

This was after 2 years of owning the car!
Old 10th June 2010, 17:45   #70
BHPian

Discovered after a year that my Swift has an illumination controll for the dials !!

Discovered after 11 months that my fiesta has a low fuel warning lamp! I didnt let the fuel go 'so' low in 11 months!

Last edited by akash_m : 10th June 2010 at 17:47.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Neither. These folks were considerate to keep it permanantly off so that the car's battery doesn't drain off unncessarily.
Reason being that service guys have to keep one or the other door open while working whereas, drivers usually sit in the car with driver side door slightly open (weird I know - but this has been my observation) while waiting for owner.
Good observation AlokSriva and definitely it makes a lot of sense for drivers & service folks. Drivers keep the door open sitting inside just to have some fresh air.
Btw, I am neither a driver nor a service engineer, but, I always keep all the 3 lights on my Safari and Indigo Marina in OFF position. May be, kind of conservative thought that it might consume some sort of power and what if the door-lock sensor doesnt work good :(

Prem.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:31   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
While removing the carpet of my WagonR, when I opened the gear lever cover (which also has a coin and a bottle holder) I realised that there is a provision to hold one more bottle just behind the coin holder by flipping open the last bit of this whole cover assembly.

This was after 2 years of owning the car!
By gear lever cover - are you referring to long plastic stuff which covers the whole thing or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Discovered after a year that my Swift has an illumination controll for the dials !!

Where is this? I need to check!!!
Old 10th June 2010, 21:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I found this out after 5~6 weeks of the 320d coming home, when a biker knocked it forward. It was a big relief because the Merc wing mirrors don't fold in the opposite direction AFAIK, and each of them costs upward of 50k. Somehow, I was actually happy with that biker for letting me find out ... of course the next biker who does it is dead.
i figured this out in my Getz when a BMTC bus came too close and knocked it in the opposite direction! haven't given anyone a chance to do it again!
Old 10th June 2010, 22:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur

Quote:
i figured this out in my Getz when a BMTC bus came too close and knocked it in the opposite direction! haven't given anyone a chance to do it again!
Oh my you wont believe me , i too discovered it yesterday when somebody knocked the mirror on my accent viva in the opposite direction.When i saw it first from a distance i thought that will have to spend a grand on new one.
Old 10th June 2010, 23:34   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
This feature is there on Octavia as well
It's there in my Fabia too,with a loud reminder beep.
Plus, i found this feature that when the ac ventilation is shut and you turn the knob to the windshield demister, the ventilation light goes off automatically.As adviced in other cars to be used with vent open only.

Most Viewed