Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 10:36   #1
BHPian

Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage

Hi

Lets discuss some of the features/gadgets you found/discovered in your car after ownership of a few months/days/years?

For example:

After 6 months of owning a Scorpio, I found out that the voice of the lady telling me to wear my seat belts or fuel warning etc can be turned off via a button provided in the dashboard.

In my DZire, after 5-6 months I found out that, what I thought was a reflector in the rear bumper's bottom is actually a rear fog lamp...

PS. Mods, I searched the forum, but could not find a similar topic. If a similar topic exists, please merge this thread.
SumitBahl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 10:40   #2
BANNED

Similarly,

In my 2006 3L Safari Dicor i found out after 2 year of buying it, that it has heaters for the ORVMS to dry up during rain for better visibility

This is by far the best feature any car can have. First in an SUV. It is a boon to have such a set-up and makes driving so easy during heavy rains.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 10:40   #3
BHPian

After 2 years, I found out in my zen that there is a place to keep thin envelopes in the glove box. You can slide them in to those "channels" on either ends, so that they never get crushed with the bulky items you may stuff into the glove box from time to time.

BH.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:58   #4
BHPian

After almost 4 years, I found that my 2006 model Swift's ORVMs actually fold in the opposite direction too so that they are not knocked off by motorists.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:01   #5
BHPian

My Amby car drivers door can only be locked by the key, first I though that there is someting wrong with the door, later I have realised that it may actually be a feature, to avoid the door being accidentally locked.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

In my Wagon R Vxi, after a couple of months I released that if i pressed the window down a little deeper, it would continue sliding down on its own, even when I release the switch.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Similarly,

In my 2006 3L Safari Dicor i found out after 2 year of buying it, that it has heaters for the ORVMS to dry up during rain for better visibility

This is by far the best feature any car can have. First in an SUV. It is a boon to have such a set-up and makes driving so easy during heavy rains.
Is this feature available in the 2.2 L VTT' as well. If yes it could be a great help.

After driving for 6 months I discovered how to use Lumbar Support in my Safari.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think most people do not have the time or inclination to go through the user manual. Hence the discovery of hidden features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Similarly,

Even I heard about this feature for the first time. The sales team should highlight such features to the customers. I really doubt whether these sales representatives actually go through some proper training.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 11:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I think most people do not have the time or inclination to go through the user manual. Hence the discovery of hidden features.

Rohan
Male ego does not allow you to read manuals. Every man thinks they can work their way around it (Incl. me).
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 11:41   #10
BHPian

Swift odometer light

Learnt from this forum about switching on the odometer light by pressing the odometer reset pin for checking the odometer reading even when the ignition key is removed. Interestingly even the dealers Service Advisors were unaware of this provision and would normally put in the ignition key and turn in on to check the odometer reading.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 11:44   #11
BHPian

@CaptainSlow here discovered a pair of scissors under his bonnet when he brought home his new Figo
Old 8th June 2010, 12:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Learnt from this forum about switching on the odometer light by pressing the odometer reset pin for checking the odometer reading even when the ignition key is removed. Interestingly even the dealers Service Advisors were unaware of this provision and would normally put in the ignition key and turn in on to check the odometer reading.
I didnt knew that. Will try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
@CaptainSlow here discovered a pair of scissors under his bonnet when he brought home his new Figo
Thats Hidden feature alright!!!
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In my Wagon R Vxi, after a couple of months I released that if i pressed the window down a little deeper, it would continue sliding down on its own, even when I release the switch.
Yes, the auto slide down switch works only on the driver side; the co-driver's switch is quite a regular one.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

after 3yrs i figured out how to silently lock/unlock the car remotely

(had lost the Autocop manual)
Old 8th June 2010, 12:23   #15
BHPian

My Vista actually develops features. E.g. Some time back the AC developed a feature where-in the vents on the driver side would throw warm air & the passenger side would throw cold air. Even the service guys were confused but realized that this uneven cooling was happening due to a faulty compressor. Changed it & now feature has gone. People owning Tata & Fiat cars will definitely love to report such features which automatically develope from time to time.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks