Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 12:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
The homing lights proved to be a irritating feature on my safari 2.2 because anywhere i parked the car people around called me to remind that the car lights are ON.
Later i discovered the solution to disable the automatic lights when remote locking the car - First press the unlock button and then the lock button. This way the lights will not turn on while remote locking in the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Awesome, Thanks Chaxy.
I will try this in my Safari too.

Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I experience the same with my Scorpio, which is a useless feature. We rarely get a chance to park the car in a black utter dark areas where you can not see your Palm, right?
I have to try the solution you've mentioned.
Firstly they are called "follow me home lights."

The same feature is there on the Xylo too. These light up once you remove the key from the ignition and open the front driver door.
Simply turn off the lights manually and get off.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

I recently found out that my accent has a speed setting for the intermittent wipers.

It is a circular knob on the wiper control, where you can adjust the delay of the wiper on intermittent mode. If it is changed to fast, it comes on every 3-4 seconds and if out to slow, it comes on every 10 seconds or so

Spoke to several accent owners, and many were surprised to discover this
Old 15th June 2010, 12:34   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I have yet not seen the correct temperature on DZire.
Its mostly off by 2-4 degrees, depending on the time of the day.
Its mostly accurate at nights.
I had noticed that in my safari...a temp diff of 2-4 degrees...and the TASS guy told me the temperature reads the temperature of a place inside the body/cabin where the termostat is located...hence the location of the thermostat makes the difference...our cars do not have uniform cooling all around u see...
Old 15th June 2010, 13:22   #139
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know of the hidden feature to increase the intensity of the turn indicators on dashboard of Ford Fiesta. I have been trying to find out for long.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:30   #140
BHPian

My wagonR has a hook on the edge of the compartment below glove box.
The manual explains that this hook should be used to hang purse or bags.
Great innovation, though never used.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:41   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I have yet not seen the correct temperature on DZire.
Its mostly off by 2-4 degrees, depending on the time of the day.
Its mostly accurate at nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
I had noticed that in my safari...a temp diff of 2-4 degrees...and the TASS guy told me the temperature reads the temperature of a place inside the body/cabin where the termostat is located...hence the location of the thermostat makes the difference...our cars do not have uniform cooling all around u see...
It is really difficult to have a temperature sensor that accurately measures the exterior ambient temperature. Even on some very expensive cars, you will see similar errors.

There are several reasons: The outside temperature varies from point to point (sunny, shadowy, windy etc.) and also with wind speed. Ignoring wind-chill effects, we want to measure the "steady state temperature" of the surrounding air. How would we measure it? If we place a sensor on the exterior part of the car body, then when the car is in motion, this sensor will get severely affected by the fast air moving on it (artificial wind-chill effect) and measure a lower temperature. On the other hand, if we place the sensor somewhere inside the car body (e.g. in the engine compartment), then it will show artificially higher temperature because the engine bay has a good degree of thermal insulation from the surrounding.

Basically we want a sensor in a moving car that will be in "thermal equilibrium" with the surrounding, and this is not a trivial task!

Further, If I am not mistaken, in many European and American cars, the purpose of these sensors is to measure the "road temperature" and not just the "ambient" temperature. The motivation is that this reading could warn the driver when the road is close to freezing temperature and there is possibility of ice formation on road. In such cases, the sensor is commonly located under the front bumper, as close to the road as possible. Now this also has a drawback: in summer days (or in general when it is sunny), the road surface will be at a higher temperature than the surrounding air, and these sensors then show an artificial high number. Also, when the car is moving, these show an artificially lower number (because these are located on the exterior, though under the bumper, and are again subject to wind-chill effects), and will show a "icy road condition" warning much before it actually is true. But since this error is on the conservative side, it is better to tolerate this error than the other way round (sensor showing higher temperatures when the road is close to freezing point). In my Audi A4 in the US, I had noticed that I used to get the "icy roads" warning on the MID when the temperatures were actually close to 35F (instead of exact 32F, the freezing point*). These errors were on the conservative sides and made sense.

In summary, this is a difficult problem unless some exotic and expensive technique is used.

Thanks,
-AD

* I am ignoring here the fact that the freezing point for the water on road will change due to the pressure applied when the tyre of a vehicle moves on it. Due to this, it is not theoretically correct to say that 32F or 0C is the freezing point for the water on the road.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:48   #142
BHPian

Just realised that the 24-hour Mahindra helpline has been embossed on the black plastic portion of my Scorpio's key :P

Not a hidden feature but Indica V2 / Indigo offer a lot of options when it comes to wiper operations which even some expensive cars don't.
There is low, high and intermittent like usual. The intermittent time period is adjustible unlike many cars in its class or above. The windshield washer-cum-wipers is operated with a button on the stalk whereas if the stalk is pulled towards the driver, then the wipers just wipe (w/o the washer) for two-three times.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I recently found out that my accent has a speed setting for the intermittent wipers.

It is a circular knob on the wiper control, where you can adjust the delay of the wiper on intermittent mode. If it is changed to fast, it comes on every 3-4 seconds and if out to slow, it comes on every 10 seconds or so

Spoke to several accent owners, and many were surprised to discover this
yeah, i found this in my Getz too 2.5yrs later

is this standard across all variants or does it come only on the higher ones like the GLS and GLX?
Old 15th June 2010, 13:55   #144
Senior - BHPian

I discovered after few months in dzire that you can adjust the beam of the headlight. You can make it on upper side or on lower side as you want. It is helpful when driving in night in ghats. Also i have fog lamps in my car but forgot to switch it on in my recent trip :( I always forget that it has company fitted fog lamps.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:56   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
My wagonR has a hook on the edge of the compartment below glove box.
The manual explains that this hook should be used to hang purse or bags.
Great innovation, though never used.
I use it for hanging some light weight stuff like flowers etc in plastic bags.

Its very convenient. But don't use it for anything very heavy.
Once the screw that holds the compartment came off. Had that fixed during regular service.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I use it for hanging some light weight stuff like flowers etc in plastic bags.

Its very convenient. But don't use it for anything very heavy.
Once the screw that holds the compartment came off. Had that fixed during regular service.
i think there is a weight limit to that hook. in Getz, there is a hook which neatly folds into the front passenger seat. the holding capacity of that hook is 2.5kgs.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:26   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I experience the same with my Scorpio, which is a useless feature. We rarely get a chance to park the car in a black utter dark areas where you can not see your Palm, right?
I have to try the solution you've mentioned.
in my scorpio, the "follow me home headlights" are activated only if the automatic headlight switch is ON. the solution is- simply switch OFF the auto headlight.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:39   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Jayanth,

Nice thing to know, but it doesn't in my case.

I remeber I did the mistake of moving the vehicle with hand breaks, but I never hear any beep.

Would try this afternoon again.
Hi Raghu,
I just noticed this today morning. I was pleasantly surprised . Check it out.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:54   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Hi Raghu,
I just noticed this today morning. I was pleasantly surprised . Check it out.
Would for sure check it out, but did you check this after wearing seatbelt?

One more thing is while car is in motion and if you remove your seat belt it beaps.

Cheers
Raghu

Last edited by raghu230506 : 15th June 2010 at 18:01. Reason: typo
Old 15th June 2010, 23:04   #150
BHPian

There is a small plastic slider on the seat belt in my safari. For long i never understood what its for... any guess what its for??

Well i discovered some utility for the plastic slider...it can slide over the seat belt in order to loosen the hold on the lower belly i am not sure if thats the function but thats how it helps me..

Most Viewed