Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 14:09   #181
BHPian

Steering lock feature!
I didn't know about that!
Probably because I don't drive. I doubt if my dad uses this feature in our 800.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:13   #182
Senior - BHPian

Audio system.
In my fiesta, even without inserting the key the Radio can be switched on and enjoy
it. But when you do that, next time when you start the engine, the radio will also function automatically, even if it was switched off earlier.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:17   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Audio system.
In my fiesta, even without inserting the key the Radio can be switched on and enjoy
it. But when you do that, next time when you start the engine, the radio will also function automatically, even if it was switched off earlier.
If i am not wrong, the audio system runs only for an hour without the key. A power saving feature.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:38   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Audio system.
The same is in Manza as well and i quiet like this small feature.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:06   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Audio system.
The same feature is present in Fiat Punto, so most probably Fiat Linea will be having the same.

But, we can't play music from the USB without inserting the key :(
Old 19th June 2010, 11:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Steering lock feature in i20. Shut down the engine, remove the keys and then turn the steering wheel either to the right or left. Now insert the keys and try to start. You would notice that the steering wheel is locked and you can't start the car. To unlock the steering wheel, insert the key ,turn the steering wheel anticlockwise and turn on your keys simultaneously. This is an anti-theft feature in the car. Not sure if this is a standard and available in other cars as well.

Once I had to step out of my car to remove an obstacle on the path. I switched of the engine and it seems I had inadvertently turned the steering wheel while exiting the car. I removed the obstacle and found that I couldn't turn on the keys to start the car. I called up the Hyundai service representative and he told me the above feature. It was good that I called up the service centre otherwise I would have broken the key fob by applying all the pressure to turn on the lock.
My 1983 Premier Padmini had this feature
Though it was not OEM.
I still remember that almost 17-18 years ago,the steering got locked while i was sitting,and dad had gone out.
i was so tensed that dad will spank me,as i have damaged the steering
Old 20th June 2010, 00:49   #187
Senior - BHPian

When I was in school, my dad had an Ambassador Mark 4. It had a foot operated switch on the extreme left in the footwell, which could cut off petrol supply !!
I don't know whether this was OE or whether other Ambys had it, but it sure scared the daylights out of us one fine morning when she refused to start !!
Old 20th June 2010, 01:30   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
When I was in school, my dad had an Ambassador Mark 4. It had a foot operated switch on the extreme left in the footwell, which could cut off petrol supply !!
I don't know whether this was OE or whether other Ambys had it, but it sure scared the daylights out of us one fine morning when she refused to start !!
i don't remember such a switch in the Mark IV. the switch left of the brake pedal is the dipper switch. was this feature you mention a from the OEM?
Old 20th June 2010, 05:36   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
My uncle in Mangalore had an Amby which had this switch but i'm not sure if it was for what you mentioned here. I had widely travelled in it as a kid with the driver in summer vacations.
Old 20th June 2010, 08:04   #190
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK,the switch in Amby's footwell,was headlight flasher.
Old 20th June 2010, 08:17   #191
BANNED

The switch in Amby. Was it for dip/dim the head lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage-dsc06584.jpg  

Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage-dscn4782.jpg  

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 20th June 2010 at 08:19.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:05   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
AFAIK,the switch in Amby's footwell,was headlight flasher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
My uncle in Mangalore had an Amby which had this switch but i'm not sure if it was for what you mentioned here. I had widely travelled in it as a kid with the driver in summer vacations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
The switch in Amby. Was it for dip/dim the head lights?
Spot on. It was for the dipper. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:27   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i don't remember such a switch in the Mark IV. the switch left of the brake pedal is the dipper switch. was this feature you mention a from the OEM?
In MARK IV deluxe, this switch - made with aluminium and operated with a loud click- is relocated to the conventional position. I still remember seeing it in our Mark III.

The IV however, boasted several meters: Speedo, amp, oil pressure, temp and fuel if I remember correctly.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 20th June 2010 at 09:31.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:36   #194
BHPian

Not sure if this a hidden feature or something crazy about just my Safari.

Turn On the ignition - turn On the rear defogger - Shut off the engine -> the defogger is still ON !!!
Old 20th June 2010, 15:32   #195
BHPian

In my UVA as well as in my friends Honda city, the ignition switch key can be kept between the steering unlocked and ignition on position. In this case the AC blower, etc which requires the key to be on the ignition can be operated but the warning lamps stay off.I discovered this while playing around with the car almost after a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks