Old 20th October 2015, 16:26   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I discovered a few nifty features in my Polo TSI recently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Just to add a few which I discovered on my GT and surely the other Polo/Vento owners may have already reported
Here's another one I discovered sometime back but not exactly useful for us. On the climatronic unit, pressing the AUTO and AC buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds toggles the temperature units on the display between °F and °C.

Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage-img28863712699512477717035.jpg

Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage-wp_20151023_08_08_12_pro.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd October 2015 at 08:21. Reason: Added the second image showing the alternate unit.
Gannu_1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:37   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
When the hazard lights are on (both blinkers on) and you are driving in Foggy conditions,
Hazard lights are only to be used when your car is stationary and poses a danger on oncoming traffic. In foggy conditions only use the fog lamps.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 18:44   #228
BHPian

I owned a 2006 model WagonR for six years and there used to a hook below the glovebox for holding any carry bags/light weight stuff. This used to a particularly useful feature when I'm travelling alone and need to carry bottles/eggs/raw meat etc.

I exchanged that with a pre-owned 2011 WagonR and didn't visibly find this hook under the glove box and used to curse Maruti on how they skimped on such a small but useful feature. After more than 2 years of ownership, my younger son one fine day explored and pressed something under the glove box and out came the hook which was kept as a open-on-need basis feature by Maruti.
mrbaddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:53   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

On the climatronic unit, pressing the AUTO and AC buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds toggles the temperature units on the display between °F and °C.
Awesome Gannu, tried it yesterday at the workshop and it works like a charm !!

Oh and by the way, my GT will remain at the workshop for a week as the EGR must be replaced and the warranty claims will take that long.

Anyways, coming back to the thread:

- Last weekend, I had to pull over my GT when the 'Coil' symbol started flashing on the MID. I switched on the hazard lights while stationary and as soon as I switched off the engine, the frequency of the blinking changed. So I just discovered that:

The Hazard lights blinks faster when the engine is running and the blinking frequency reduces a tiny bit when the engine is switched off

German Engineering I guess
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:38   #230
BHPian

I am yet to learn how to initiate the panic alarm by pressing a certain combination of buttons on remote lock of any of our cars!
Old 21st October 2015, 12:21   #231
BHPian

Ford Fiesta has an electric boot release as you all know. The day I bought I car, I couldn't open the boot even after repeatedly pressing the boot release button. later realised that the central lock was on. Unlocking the doors helped.

Now, one more nifty feature. When the car is on the move, you cannot open the boot even with the doors unlocked. Discovered this while trying to open the boot for security check at office gate.

Another feature I love is the 12V power socket which is always on. When my phone is dead, I leave it for charging in the car. There is no use carrying a dead phone anyways.

Last edited by glenmz : 21st October 2015 at 12:23.
glenmz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

On my first long drive on the Figo tdci a couple of years ago, I discovered that the hazard lights automatically switch on if one brakes hard from triple digit speeds! Very useful feature.

Also, in my recent drive to Bangalore, I could hear mild chiming sounds as I'd not closed the driver's door properly. I was busy trying to take the correct road towards Indira nagar at Domlur Jn, and did not notice the warning light. But the chimes sure helped me! I realized my folly only after driving for a kilometer!
Old 21st October 2015, 13:55   #233
Senior - BHPian

Recenty discovered in my Lodgy that after I switch off my ignition the driver side power window works for a couple of minutes.
Old 21st October 2015, 23:00   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Recenty discovered in my Lodgy that after I switch off my ignition the driver side power window works for a couple of minutes.
It works the same was in the City diesel.
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:40   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I discovered a few nifty features in my Polo TSI recently:

- A few months ago: Remote window winder: Press and hold the unlock button on the key-fob and the car will not only unlock but also roll down the windows. Useful when the car is parked in the open, allowing the hot air to dissipate while you're walking towards the car. EDIT: Can be closed by holding the 'lock' button too!

- A few weeks ago: Anti-Pinch windows: The window will bounce back in the case of any obstruction.
Both the features available in my fabia too. And I also came to know about this feature after approximately 6 month of ownership when my brother told me about it.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 19:26   #236
BHPian

I discovered the following features after buying my Duster AWD

1. Rear wiper automatically starts when you engage reverse gear when the front wipers are already on.

2. Discovered the Lumbar support when a fellow bhpian ShuvC set the seat full back to try the seating.

3. The cabin lights switch off after a minute or so if left on while leaving the car to avoid overnight battery drainage.

4. The hill assist control activates on descent too. If you are on a downward slope & you engage reverse, the hill assist will hold the vehicle for sometime.

Only these come to my mind right now. Will add up more when I discover them.

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 20:00   #237
BHPian

Honda city 2017 model - just discovered that the blinkers will not work if you are locking your car and hood is not closed fully.

After washing the car, i locked the car using the keyfob and noticed that the blinkers did not work. I was wondering if there was an issue with some wiring as i had cleaned up some rat litter from the engine bay. Switched on hazard and all lights were working fine. Started reading the manual to check if i had accidentally switched off something. There was no mention of this. Started checking the doors and then happened to check the hood only to find that it was not closed correctly. Closed it properly and voila, blinkers are back in action. Not sure if its a feature but will definitely know if this happens in the future.
Old 31st May 2020, 20:12   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Honda city 2017 model - just discovered that the blinkers will not work if you are locking your car and hood is not closed fully.
When you say blinkers am sure you are referring to the hazard lights in action during lock/unlock via keyfob buttons?

If so, this is a standard thing on pretty much all cars because hood has a switch like the doors that if you leave it open, will not allow the car to be locked.

In mine, blinkers won't function (doors don't lock) even when boot door is not closed properly.

I hope you are referring to the same?
Old 31st May 2020, 21:06   #239
BHPian

Good thread!

Remembered about this well-made video series which discusses about the VW Polo's hidden features

Regards
Old 31st May 2020, 21:13   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Honda city 2017 model - just discovered that the blinkers will not work if you are locking your car.
I will tell you something even better
Throw the key of your city inside the boot and try to close the boot lid. The feature you’ll discover is not even available in my Civic.

Regards.

Most Viewed