Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:19   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually, when I mentioned the Honda City's engines, I missed mentioning the Jazz. Isn't it appreciable that we get 90bhp out of a 'puny' 1.2l engine ?
Is it such a big surprise? The 1.3 L OHC had a 90 BHP (and the 1.5 L non-VTEC had 100 BHP) engine way back in 1998, even without VTEC. That was 12 years ago.

The 1.4 L Indica V2 petrol MPFI launched in 2000 was considered a "hot hatch" in those days by some automags with 75 BHP on tap, until the Palio 1.6 stole the crown.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:33   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure I understood your query. What does bad drivability have to do with detuning ? Would an increase of 10bhp (130 to 140) make the Civic more drivable ?
Although peak power is considered here, Detuning has a lot to do with drivability as well, Biju.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:06   #153
BANNED

What I am trying to state is that we are not even getting the same state of tune as the rest of the world.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
I wish they give 2% cut for cars that meet 4-5 star Euro ENCAPs, it will lead to market changing innovation in safety features which will be cost effective in developing countries too.
Most of the supposed 4-5 NCAP rated cars are rated so for the top most trim. I find it unfair when they use this as an advertising tool and lure the gullible buyer into buying a car that is just as safe as any other he might have been considering.
However, a cut as proposed by you might propel us into an era when seeing a Micra kitted with airbags at all trims won't shock our pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let us first do away with the routine detuning for India. With BS3/BS4 Regular Petrol is 91RON, why is the Civic in India tuned for 130 bhp when the European and US versions are 140 bhp? This mindset must go.
With all due respect sir, I feel with the amount of adulterated fuel out there I would rather have a detuned engine than a broken down one.

Quote:
Actually, when I mentioned the Honda City's engines, I missed mentioning the Jazz. Isn't it appreciable that we get 90bhp out of a 'puny' 1.2l engine ?
The Jazz's mill never even feels like the claimed 90bhp. What use are figures when they do not translate into driving pleasure? I do believe that most will agree with my former claim.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:52   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Although peak power is considered here, Detuning has a lot to do with drivability as well, Biju.
True. But was wondering if the original spec-ced engine with 10bhp more would have been any better in drivability.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:22   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. But was wondering if the original spec-ced engine with 10bhp more would have been any better in drivability.
The original spec engine has much better low end pull apparently. This is what I have read in other international forums. Honda could have detuned the engine in a better way for India. I think this is what Nitrous means by driveability.

Last edited by Gilead : 23rd June 2010 at 15:24.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:45   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The original spec engine has much better low end pull apparently. This is what I have read in other international forums. Honda could have detuned the engine in a better way for India. I think this is what Nitrous means by driveability.
If I remember correctly the peak torque ( and RPM) figures were almost equal between the international spec and Indian spec . I cannot however comment on the driveability of the international spec engine,nor do i have the torque curve of the Indian one. For the torque curve of the 140 bhp spec I refer the below link

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

I guess Honda simply reduced the top end power for India based on real life RON values.

Last edited by indivic : 23rd June 2010 at 22:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks